Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Why are ported or Large Throttle bodies shunned upon or deemed useless?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2006, 03:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrBubbler
so i just went with a AMS intake manifold and got a 75mm throttle body with it. the car is running a gt35r and alcohol injection , without the alcohol it was pushing 416 whp on 91 **** gas. Car will be tuned after the instal but now im wondering if im going to see any performance gains with the 75mm TB over the stock 60mm. i just assumed that it was better to have a TB that matched the intake manifold size and with a larger turbo pushing 500+whp with alchy it was a wise choice am i wrong?
port matching is a very good idea. rough edges and diameter changes are very bad for flow, thus getting the intake with the matching TB is a good idea. will you see gains over the stock? it certainly wont hurt. you will have a rougher throttle response at part throttle though as slight pedal changes will mean large throttle changes.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

i would like to hear your ideas on this Warrtalon. and also what kind of performance gains or loses im going to achieve with this new TB over the stock 60mm if any.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 03:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Can you show us these facts? What makes it fantastic if it's only a few ponies? And are you saying it's only based on your butt dyno? I hope that's not the case, since you said it's a "fact."

It costs $350, and you say it's fantastic on a lightly-modded Evo, so does that $350 get you comparable gains to a flash ($200-400), cams ($450-550), LICP ($200), MBC ($85), TBE ($600-800)? All of those would be great mods on a lightly-modded Evo and can be considered anywhere from good to FANTASTIC. For the Works TB to be FANTASTIC, it would need to provide 20-30whp for that price...like a flash.

99% of people looking into a throttle body already have those mods... it would be a next step.... a lightly modded evo would include all those parts you mentioned.. other than alky... the next step for power would cost at least 1000$ ...stroker..turbo..
Old Aug 21, 2006, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think w/o dyno's to prove it, its all speculation! Of course with a larger throttle body you might see a whp or two at the top end, but what about down low and how would it change the torque curve?
Old Aug 21, 2006, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

God Warr why are you soo anti TB? its like if u sold them with your packages you would be saying its an awesome mod but because works includes them u are against getting them?
Old Aug 21, 2006, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

i dont think he is against them he just doesnt see the need for them, money is better spent on something else in his eye's. which with simple bolt on's is very true i think the only time for a larger throttle body is with a larger turbo set up with a intake manifold.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Didn't Trent the welder from Buschurs go SUPER low 11's w/o a TB or intake. I would think it would be last thing you would change before going to a bigger turbo (besides the 20g). If Dave says so... it right. He said that they were going to up grade it to try and get into the 10's.

Last edited by vwjeff; Aug 21, 2006 at 04:47 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

I would put in some money to have Warr dyno the difference with a TB upgrade just for shiits
Old Aug 21, 2006, 07:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
If any one is interested in a stock "appearing" TB, but having a slightly bigger one pm WOT on this forum. He works on Honda IRL engines and has a little side business of making ported stock throttle bodies. His work is fantastic and stealth.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

don't listen to what anyone on here says, seriously.

I bet the TB would add as much if not more power then the LICP that most places sell for $199 and up.

If everyone listed to the masses we would still be running stock o2 housings instead of the $50 ebay ones.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
667whp has been made on a stock 60mm DSM TB. The evo 60mm flows a little better. It has a tapered inlet and thinner shaft and thinner plate than a DSM. The bored TB for EVOs has been dyno proven to be good for 7-8whp. That was on a 500whp car. Larger TB do make it more difficult to ease away from a stop. Just crackin the throttle 5% on a 70mm is like 25% on a 60mm.

The best TB to get your hands on is the factory 65mm TB from Magma. The bore is tapered to follow the throttle plate for the first 15-20% or so of travel. Maintains drivability by not dumping in too much air when you crack the throttle.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

^^^ Ah! Positive, un-combative, useful input! How refreshing ---- 94AWDcoupe and the like, I salute you!

Old Aug 21, 2006, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

It really comes down to this...

To make horsepower, you need to get more air into the engine. To get more air into the engine, you need to minimize restriction. The intercooler piping before the throttle body is 2.5 inches ID or 64mm. If the stock throttle boddy diameter is 60mm(unfortunately I'm unable to actually measure it at the time), then that would present a restriction. Therefore, theoretically, the best option would be to go with a 65mm throttlebody(buschur's ported, WORKS?). This way your minimizing restriction and keeping a relatively smooth throttle response, especially coming off idle.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

After cams I will be upgrading my TB and will absolutely try to dyno before and after.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 12:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Ultimateone
I just dont understand it "yet".
When I had my SRT4 I had tried out 2 different sized TB's one being a ported one of 55mm from the stock 49/50mm and it was a decent gain in HP/TQ. I then upgraded to a 60mm and the gains were almost like 16hp/18tq with just a TB and spacer? Everytime I see a post about a new TB they say why ? why ? why?

Why are they so bad with the Evo?
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Put the Extrude Honed intake back on and bolted the stock throttle body to it. With the intake hole opened up it made the 65 mm throttle body perform even better. 8-10 whp across the board was lost using the stock throttle body.
this is from this thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...&page=17&pp=15

I am tired of looking, but al made similar findings & was pumping the works 65mm tb on his board too.

works doesnt publish their findings, but they do have a lot of happy customers.

If you are regulating your boost down to ~19lbs, then you really wont get the power benefits from the 65mm tb, just a huge response gain, but if your asking for the last bit of boost from the 16g turbo, this 65mm tb while enlarging the inlet to the manifold to 63-65mm will get you ~1 psi more boost inside the plenum=> your engine {thumbup & thats where the power comes from.

It does so on my car.

Quick Reply: Why are ported or Large Throttle bodies shunned upon or deemed useless?