Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Why are ported or Large Throttle bodies shunned upon or deemed useless?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2006, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I definitely want to see the difference...when the time comes anyways.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

I think ported/bored TB's arent big on EVOs because the gains just arent there. They come decently sized from the factory.

Dont forget, that 7-10whp from the ported TB also came from porting the intake manifold to match it. What good is a bigger TB if the intake manifold is still 60mm. It would be pretty pointless. Keep in mind its $350 plus the hassle... and believe me, its a hassle to take off that intake manifold and TB.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Is it really that difficult to take off just teh TB?
Old Aug 22, 2006, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ultimateone
Is it really that difficult to take off just teh TB?
Its a pain in the ***. But that wasnt my point. Buschur got the 8-10whp from taking port maching the intake manifold to the bigger TB. Unless youre going tio port it yourself, then taking off the Intake mani is huge PITA and for $350+ plus that hassle, 7hp doesnt seem that worth it.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
Its a pain in the ***. But that wasnt my point. Buschur got the 8-10whp from taking port maching the intake manifold to the bigger TB. Unless youre going tio port it yourself, then taking off the Intake mani is huge PITA and for $350+ plus that hassle, 7hp doesnt seem that worth it.

Taking off the throttle body and bolting it back on is no more than a 30 minute affair, if that.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by anjapower

Taking off the throttle body and bolting it back on is no more than a 30 minute affair, if that.
Im talking about the whole shabang. Like either porting your own intake manifold or buying one already ported like BR sells and doing it. The intake manifold part is not a 30m affair. Its awful. Quite frankly for maybe 10hp, not worth it to me.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

...whos *** is that?
Old Aug 22, 2006, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Girlfriend's
Old Aug 22, 2006, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
Girlfriend's
How can an *** be so round?....that thing is incredible...more pics?
Old Aug 22, 2006, 08:34 PM
.MM
Evolved Member

warr,

if it did add 10 HP, and that was a fact....then i would say it is def worth 350 bucks.

it ISNT a fact, but if it was, then hell ya!

reason i say this, is because if you are maxed out on simple mods, like cams, bolt ons, tune, etc...

10 hp is a nice add for cheap money ($350) while still keeping stock internals and turbo.

my .02
Old Aug 22, 2006, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

In the Shelby Dodge world it has been tried and found there is no gain in performance just a decrease in mpg and this is very cheap mod for 2.2/2.5 turbo guys as we just get a TB from a V-6 Minivan.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LetItBreath
How can an *** be so round?....that thing is incredible...more pics?
LOL your crackin me up. I have many more but not for general audience
Old Aug 22, 2006, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

My $0.02:

Surely this depends on where the bottleneck is in your system. Every system has one and from my perspective and having read several threads on it, the stock setup has more significant bottlenecks elsewhere - the licp being the most talked about.

Obviously if you've opened up the pulmbing enough then there will come a point where the 60mm throttle body is a restriction. Very similar IMO to putting a +3k Cosworth head on your car. If it's a stocker then you probably won't see an awful lot of anything but if you're really modded to the eyeballs I'm sure it will do wonders.

I suspect it's not usually talked about in realtion to evo tuning because while it might at some stage present a restriction it is but a very insignificant one. While it's only 60mm, it's not very long and as many pointed out, only really matters at WOT anyway. There are plenty of other ways to gain some more power as there are more components involved in the system as compared to NA engines where they don't have that many things to play with.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 02:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is my take on this. Most poeple I see upgrading to the bigger TBs are on stock turbos, oddly enough. My stock turbo is flat maxed out. It will not move any more air. I'm running DSMlink, so I am able to see this. It flatlines for the entire run at 39-42 lbs/min, depending on temperature. If the turbo can not flow any more air, reducing restriction is not going to add significant power. It may allow you to move that same air at lower boost pressure, which will be worth a small amount of HP in itself (boost = heat), but nothing staggering. The reports of 7whp sound reasonable.

This applies to all of the other airflow related mods I have done to the car. Basically, I maxed out the stock turbo with a filter, exhaust, and cams. The car went 12.1 at 113 or so. Since then, I've done the LICP, UICP, 1g BOV, FMIC, bigger filter, etc, and went 12.0 at 114. The airflow has not changed. I attribute the miniscule gains I got to the new clutch. I expect an upgraded TB would still be worth about nothing.

Cams are similar, but different. They will not increase airflow if the turbop is maxed out, but they will reduce the boost it takes to get there by about 3 psi in my experience. This is extremely useful on pump gas. But more importantly cams not only increase airflow, but change teh VE of the motor, most notably at high rpm where we are trying to make power. So this is a different case than upgrading pipes, TBs, etc, and is worth mentioning for the sake of illustration.

People are running 9s on stock bore DSM throttlebodies. The main reason I don't see TBs being much of an improvement until you get to huge setups is the size of the IC piping. People on 2.25-2.5" IC piping shouldn't expect to see much change over 60mm. Why make the relatively short TB larger, and leave the 6 feet of piping leading up to it the same? I know the plate and shaft make it a little more complicated than this simple example, but hopefully my point is clear.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 06:55 AM
Former Sponsor

how is it that you maxed out the stock turbo with only cams, filter and exhaust, when i have the same mods and am nowhere near maxing it out? what boost are you running? try turning up the boost and i bet you see increased massflow rate....

Quick Reply: Why are ported or Large Throttle bodies shunned upon or deemed useless?