Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

"LOUD" rubbing vibration noise after new clutch.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2006, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"LOUD" rubbing vibration noise after new clutch.

i recently had a shop put in a new exedy stage 1 organic clutch and im tryin my best to baby it to break it in properly. i shift at around 2500rpm just to be safe but today i took it to about 2900rpm and i let off the gas to slow the car down and i would hear this loud vibration. sounds like its coming from the clutch or flywheel. the clutch pedal doesnt vibrate tho. you can only hear it. it only happens when the rpm drops from 2800 and over. it doesnt make any noises at all besides that. it shifts smooth although the clutch pedal is really low after the install. does anybody know what that noise might be?

it's basically a really loud vibration "noise" but i dont feel the vibration. it just sounds like it and im sure its coming from the transmission. did they do a bad job installin it?

Last edited by deegaw11; Aug 22, 2006 at 07:08 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

I know I say this alot but it is usually it....when they took the exhaust off they have to take the DP off also....more than likely they tried to reuse the stock DP bolts which have springs in them. Also more than likley they could not get those bolts back in all the way and the metal springs are loose and they vibrate like crazy around that RPM. This happened on my car and I have seen it on others....check those real quick and let me know
Old Aug 22, 2006, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

also readjust your clutch pedal it needs to be done after a clutch install

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=218891

Last edited by scottatyamaha; Aug 22, 2006 at 07:19 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

i didnt know you had to take off the whole exhaust system to change the clutch? well i have a espelir dp with stock bolts and i never heard a vibration. and plus it only makes that noise when the rpm goes down from high rpms. you know how when a bus takes off, it has that really loud vibration sound. it sorta sounds like that. what can it be? im pretty sure it's not bolts vibrating.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Well it sounds like it could be something resignating....check your exhaust first to see if it is hitting anything.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

could it be a bad installation with the new clutch?
Old Aug 22, 2006, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

I think there would be something more apparent if there was a bad clutch install...you say that it drives fine. Could be the throw out bearing.....I am thinking it is more along the lines of your exhaust
Old Aug 22, 2006, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

but i never had any exhaust vibrations. could it be the clutch or flywheel rubbing on something? since my clutch pedal is sorta low after the installation i dont think its fully engaged when i step on it. could that have anything to do with the loud vibration after i release the gas at high rpms?
Old Aug 22, 2006, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

If it was not fully engaging enough to vibrate like that you would not have been able to put it in gear.....but you still do need to do that pedal adjustment. Have you sat in the car and just revved it up in nuetral to see if you hear anything?
Old Aug 22, 2006, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Jack the car up
Have some1 get under it
Turn the car on, Rev engine
Listen for the noise

After I installed my clutch, i had a loud tinny sounding rattle that ended up being my transmission inspection cover rattling
Old Aug 22, 2006, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a similiar sound that you are describing when my Espilier downpipe was removed to have a O2 bung welded on it. When the shop reinstalled it I had a vibration and it ended being that the downpipe was contacting one of the lower cross braces. I shimmed it with a thick washer to create more clearance between the brace and downpipe.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 03:21 PM
Evolving Member

no it cant be the downpipe because i have washers there for clearance also. im gonna leave the car in neutral and rev it and see if the noise is there. i finally did the clutch adjustment which seemed impossible to do. i turned it about like 5x because it was so hard just to reach down there..but im guessing it was equal to about 2 full turns. it now engages really smooth with no shatter and it grabs about halfway. does that sound right?
Old Aug 23, 2006, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

ok i put the car in neutral and reved it but the noise wasnt there. noise is only there when it's in 4th or 5th gear and only when the rpm drops from 2800 or higher. a really loud grinding vibration type of noise. but the gears isnt grinding
Old Feb 27, 2007, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoTio
I had a similiar sound that you are describing when my Espilier downpipe was removed to have a O2 bung welded on it. When the shop reinstalled it I had a vibration and it ended being that the downpipe was contacting one of the lower cross braces. I shimmed it with a thick washer to create more clearance between the brace and downpipe.
On my car, I get the rattle from 4000 rpm and up. It's driving me nuts, and I'm getting some washers and probably longer bolts or something. But I can't deal with the rattling between the downpipe and the lower cross brace any more.