Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Methanol Injection on 4G63T

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2003, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Methanol Injection on 4G63T

Has anyone seen these kits yet ? they go on the intake, and if you are drag racing, you don't need an intercooler as the methanol injection helps instead..

I was just wondering, as there is 2 cars that i know of over here that is running it..

But they also said it was hard to tune with NOS. Is that correct ?

Pete.
Old May 2, 2003, 04:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I can certainly understand why methanol injection could change the dynamics.. I realize we're not talking about using alcohol injection in place of gasoline.. but changing the nature of the fuel used in a combustion engine means that the A/F ratio will change slightly.. Since most dry nitrous systems are optimized to add more Oxygen (NO2 liberates oxygen during the combustion process under heat and pressure), and wet nitrous systems also add more fuel.. adding a different type of fuel to the mix could alter the proportions of NO2 and Fuel slightly, therefore making it more difficult to tune since the amount of Nitrous required to completely burn the Methanol, and Gasoline would be different.
Now take into effect that you can have a variable injection system for methanol to inject different amounts, you may need to dynamically adjust several factors to maintain a good (and safe) mixture.
Old May 3, 2003, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

eg if you had a computer to say lets run 75% racing fuel and another 25% methanol( as i think they do), that could even out the rush of air mixture.

I think in a way that if you left out Nitrous, in using the methanol case i think the car would possibly ran better, but, as the case with methanol, would need a rebuild a lot quicker...
Old May 3, 2003, 12:44 PM
EvoM Guru

I don't know about more frequent rebuilds.. Nitrous use (not abuse) doesn't directly point to destructive wear any more than any other power adder.. However adding addiitonal variables, and not compensating for those unknowns under all circumstances that they can change, can lead to (at the least) Tunability/Drivability issues.. at the worst, engine damage.

Just running alcohol injection as a cooling function, plus a detonation quencher, definitely seems like a good idea..
Old May 3, 2003, 05:27 PM

Even better would be to run straight water injection instead of alcohol if you're trying to kill detonation. The alcohol would be useful if you needed more fuel, though.
Old May 3, 2003, 05:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Yeah.. I'm really not so sure how much more "Power" alcohol ultimately gives you.. Alcohol only engines run different compression, different a/f mixture.. I'm fairly certain that it requires more alcohol to generate the same amount of power as gasoline.. The advantages of alcohol is the ability to not detonate under much higher compression (or boost) then gasoline, and it burns very clean.. I'm certainly no chemist, and my memories of college chemistry and physics are pretty cloudy.. Your right about the water injection, but I don't know how much power a small alcohol injection system may gain (from its combustion, and not its other properties like low vapor point)

Oh well, my comments didn't contribute anything useful this time around.. Have I evolved yet?? hehe..
Old May 3, 2003, 07:02 PM

I used to run an Aquamist system on my old MR2 turbo and it worked really good. Dropped my EGTs by 50 degrees C and allowed me to advance timing a couple more degrees. For the Cali guys and anyone else who has crap gas, it would work great to boost the effective octane. I know the Grand National guys really like the systems. It's not exactly new technology - it's been around since World War II where they used it on fighter planes to cool combustion temps.
Old May 4, 2003, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

i've heard goodremarks about the water injection kits.. how do they actually work ? is it just a mist that lowers the temp in the intake manifold.. eg like dry ice sorta thing ?

Pete
Old May 7, 2003, 09:38 PM
Evolving Member

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/dc/dc.html

Jackson Racing purchases this equipment to sell it as an effective cooling method for it's Acura superchargers.

http://www.jacksonracing.com/pages/partsacura.html

Water has a very high specific heat (i.e. it absorbs tremendous amounts of energy to raise the temperature of the water), and also absorbs HUGE amounts of energy to turn to steam, cooling intake temperatures DRAMATICALLY. It's not quite as effective as an air-air intercooler, but it's darn cheaper, and a lot more compact.

Shawn
Old May 8, 2003, 01:41 AM
Evolved Member

How much are these kits in america ?
Old May 8, 2003, 01:42 AM
Evolved Member

more importantly, sorry, can we get these in australia ?

might see if neone imports them.

Pete.
Old May 10, 2003, 11:00 PM
Account Disabled

you should ask Erikgi about that.hes a mechanical engineer whos putting one in his evo 7 and hes designing the whole kit himself to work w/US emissions
Old May 11, 2003, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

WORKS will be offering a water injection kit specifically for the EVO VIII soon complete with U.S. EVO specific mounting hardware. It will, like WORKS' entire line of engine performance products, be offered with a reflash of the factory ECU to take full advantage of the additional cooling and anti-detonant properties offered by the water injection.

We our big believers in the benefits of running a quality water injection system. In fact, nearly all of the WRC teams, including Mitsubishi, have been running a set-up very similar to ours for years now. In our preliminary testing thus far, we have seen 20-30 degree temperature drops after the intercooler using our water injection system. We are just now finishing up our final testing/evaluation of the unit (it has been performing flawlessly thus far) and hope to take pre-orders for our first batch of these systems shortly. In the meantime, stay tuned!

-- DavidV

Last edited by DavidV@WORKS; May 11, 2003 at 09:52 PM.
Old May 11, 2003, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

How much would it be ?

cause im looking for a water injection kit nows for my cordia..

Pete
Old May 12, 2003, 04:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by rexhunta
more importantly, sorry, can we get these in australia ?

might see if neone imports them.

Pete.
Pete!

Good to see another Aussie on here.

MRT is the sole importer of Aquamist products for Australia. I was going to get one when I turboed my S2000, but I decided to scrap the Turbos2k project and get a Evo 6.5 instead

You can find their contact details here.

Quick Reply: Methanol Injection on 4G63T