Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Heat coating for exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2006, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heat coating for exhaust...

I have been trying to figure out my alternatives to jet coating. I have found heat wrap and DEI Hi-Temp silicone spray on the Buschur site. I am curious as to if coating my stock exhaust mani, eBay O2 housing, 3" downpipe, and 3" exhaust with the heat wrap and Hi-Temp spray would be as beneficial as jet coating?

How hot do these exhaust components get? Do I need the heat wrap at all or could I just spray these components with the silicone and have a similar effect? How many cans of spray would I need and how much heat wrap?
Old Aug 24, 2006, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
swain tech coatings. ask for dan. the best in the biz 585 889 2786 the coating is called white lightning
Old Aug 24, 2006, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Call Brian at HP Coatings. He's a fellow DSM'er and knows his stuff.

HPC Central
400 N. Glade Ave.
Oklahoma City, OK 73127
Phone: 405-789-2888
Fax 405-789-2885
http://www.hpcoatings.com

I have their HiPerCoat Extreme on my manifold and the standard coating on my heatshields, o2 housing, and DP and it looks and works great! The wrap causes accelerated corrosion due to friction and holding in moisture / morning dew, but if you had the stuff coated, you could wrap it as well and wouldn't have to worry about the corrosion.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Swain hands down. It's an actual thermal barrier not thin spray on paint.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 08:36 PM

jbrown: All of my piping besides the stock exhaust mani and hotside is stainless steel. Because of this I wouldn't worry too much about rusting. Even so, wouldn't the silicone spray lock out moisture?

I guess I am more interested in learning if the wraps and hi-temp silicone spray are effective. I appreciate your other suggestions, however. I may still look into those if the wraps aren't a good idea.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 08:39 PM

Can anyone from Buschur comment on this? I saw these items on their site, so hopefully they have tried them out on their own cars...
Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:46 AM

bump...
Old Aug 25, 2006, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Just because it's stainless steel doen't mean it can't corrode. Rust and corrosion are two different things. You also have to worry about friction from vibration and the expansion / contraction of the pipes as they heat and cool.

Buschur would DEFINITELY know more about this than me, I just wanted to let you know it's not exactly a "yes or no" answer.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
drunkmunky (nice sn btw)

Heatwraps could also rott your header/exhaust -- just a quick link, google header wraps or heat wrap for more reading...

http://www.centuryperformance.com/heatwraps.asp

Actual coating is the way to go.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jbrown
Just because it's stainless steel doen't mean it can't corrode. Rust and corrosion are two different things. You also have to worry about friction from vibration and the expansion / contraction of the pipes as they heat and cool.

Buschur would DEFINITELY know more about this than me, I just wanted to let you know it's not exactly a "yes or no" answer.
How are rust and corrosion two different things? Rust is corrosion.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by althemean
How are rust and corrosion two different things? Rust is corrosion.
no....

so if coca cola causes corrosion to the enamel on your teeth does that mean that your teeth rust?
Old Aug 25, 2006, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

sorry Joey....you are wrong this time.

"Rust is the substance formed when iron compounds corrode in the presence of oxygen and water. It is a mixture of iron oxides and hydroxides. Rusting is a common term for corrosion, and usually corrosion of steel."-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust

As an aircraft avionics/structural tech I deal with corrosion of metals be it aluminum, steel, titanium, and bronze. All metals corrode.

Last edited by althemean; Aug 25, 2006 at 04:42 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Performance Coatings in Auburn, Wa.

I think its www.performancecoatings.com

I can seriously touch my downpipe after a hard run. They coat it inside and out and were able to do my flex section. It's supposed to be good to 2000 degrees. Cost me $50.

Dont waste your money on wrap.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by althemean
sorry Joey....you are wrong this time.

"Rust is the substance formed when iron compounds corrode in the presence of oxygen and water. It is a mixture of iron oxides and hydroxides. Rusting is a common term for corrosion, and usually corrosion of steel."-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust

As an aircraft avionics/structural tech I deal with corrosion of metals be it aluminum, steel, titanium, and bronze. All metals corrode.
No dude, Joey is right. But you are both saying the same thing.
Rust is a form of corrosion, but all corrosion is not rust.
Rust is specific to ferrous metals, corrosion is not.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 10:42 PM

Ideally I would like to coat every piece of metal that holds exhaust but I can't afford that nor do I have the time to wait to ship it out and get it back. I thought wrapping the DP, O2 housing, and stock Exhaust Mani with heat wrap would be a good thing to do while I have them out of the car before I put it all back on Monday.

If I do not do the DP right now I would like to do the O2 housing and Exhaust Mani at a minimum. I want to do the O2 most definitely because it is aftermarket and I can't use the heat shield.

Quick Reply: Heat coating for exhaust...