Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Quiet free flowing exhaust

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2007, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
purchased and installed my TurboXS tbe with an ultimate racing cat. sounds real nice. from idle to about 3500 it's not loud at all. at about 3k you can even make it sound a bit louder than stock. but from 3600 to WOT it screams.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 02:36 PM

Late reply to this thread but I have a HKS Supper Dragger exhaust on my 3000GT VR-4 and with no cats and a 3.5" downpipe its actualy quiter then stock although much deeper a sound.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

Quiet exhaust

With all respect to Jarrod at Buschur Racing and others that have mentioned the Buschur Magnaflow or Magnaflow with high flow catalytic converter (HFC) exhaust configuration, I would strongly recommend another Buschur system. I have the Buschur Magnaflow system with their Bullet muffler where the cat goes. This system is very quiet (quite close to stock) and is a significantly stronger performing system than it was with the HFC in place. The car clearly picked performance above 5K RPM when I switched the converter out for the Bullet muffler. I don't have any dyno results but I would bet some serious money that the increased HP finding would be universal. Test pipes are worth between 10-18 HP. I would be surprised if the pickup on my car was that small. I am running 91 octane. I have reason to believe that low octane sipping Evos are more sensitive to exhast back pressure than the rest of the world's Evos. Back pressure and knock counts apparently go hand in hand.

Those of you who don't like to attract attention with your exhaust note should simply order this system and stop looking for a "quiet system" that does not hurt performance because this is it. Period.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 04:29 PM

I currently have the Buschur TBE with the HFC. It's fairly priced, well-made, and makes good power. However, it's VERY loud. If you're looking for a free-flowing, unrestricted, quiet (relatively speaking) exhaust, thare are better choices, imo.

Incidently, I rode in a evo IX the other day that had the HRS Garage exhaust and a test pipe, and it was WAY more quiet than my car......
Old Jan 31, 2007, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Piper
I currently have the Buschur TBE with the HFC. It's fairly priced, well-made, and makes good power. However, it's VERY loud. If you're looking for a free-flowing, unrestricted, quiet (relatively speaking) exhaust, thare are better choices, imo.

Incidently, I rode in a evo IX the other day that had the HRS Garage exhaust and a test pipe, and it was WAY more quiet than my car......
Which muffler are you running on it?
Old Jan 31, 2007, 09:09 PM

Magnaflow
Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by silverghost
With all respect to Jarrod at Buschur Racing and others that have mentioned the Buschur Magnaflow or Magnaflow with high flow catalytic converter (HFC) exhaust configuration, I would strongly recommend another Buschur system. I have the Buschur Magnaflow system with their Bullet muffler where the cat goes. This system is very quiet (quite close to stock) and is a significantly stronger performing system than it was with the HFC in place. The car clearly picked performance above 5K RPM when I switched the converter out for the Bullet muffler. I don't have any dyno results but I would bet some serious money that the increased HP finding would be universal. Test pipes are worth between 10-18 HP. I would be surprised if the pickup on my car was that small. I am running 91 octane. I have reason to believe that low octane sipping Evos are more sensitive to exhast back pressure than the rest of the world's Evos. Back pressure and knock counts apparently go hand in hand.

Those of you who don't like to attract attention with your exhaust note should simply order this system and stop looking for a "quiet system" that does not hurt performance because this is it. Period.
I live in WA and this "new" exhaust law they are now enforcing is making me replace my Espliler. The law makes it illegal to install an exhaust system that makes the vehicle louder than the stock muffler. I just ordered the Tanabe Medalion Touring for my car. Now I read things like this magical 2 muffler Buschur system and can't believe it. How does an exhaust system with not one but 2 mufflers out perform an exhaust with only one muffler. After ordering my Tanabe exhaust I also read on another thread that the Tanabe exhaust had 20 less whp at high rpm's than a Vishnu Sig Series. After reading all of this I hope I did'nt make a mistake getting the Tanabe, it looked good on paper with a full 80mm pipe size throughout the entire system and new Advantec packing in the muffler. I don't understand how the Tanabe cost 20whp at high rpm over the Vishnu or how a 2 muffler system can be the "best" quiet exhaust for an EVO. I guess stranger things have happened . I guess I'll find out first hand how restrictive this 3" Tanabe exhaust is when it finally gets here and I install the damn thing. I hope for my sake that the info on here is not acurate. If it is acurate, I guess I just wasted 625 bucks.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 12:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
As long as its a full 3" mandrel exhaust without any huge bends, its going to perform fine.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 12:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fujitsubo RM01a is light, quiet like stock, and looks kinda stock (except the stainless steel-ness)

i have the RSR Ex-Mag. it's a little louder than RM01a (and stock), stealthy as hell, and it's 80mm piping but it tapers a little (cat side) just so you can mate it to a stock cat. however, that's an easy fix

Greddy evo2, apexi noir

i'd say RRE stealth exhaust...but you're not in socal

oh, our evos will NEVER sound like a ricey honda
Old May 13, 2007, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

I think Greddy EVO2 and AMS are on the quieter side....
Old May 13, 2007, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

This is my opinion, there is no such thing as a free flowing quiet exhaust. The reason why is because people used resanator to reduce to reduce the volume and also the muffler it self. If you look at all the high flowing JDM brand or American company brand. That makes big power, they have no restriction in their pipping period.

For example, the Greddy Ti exhaust has no resnator at all the muffler is a cainster style which is pretty much straight flow. Look at the buschur exhaust, same thing. If you want a quiet exhaust then get one but remember your not getting max. power.
Old May 14, 2007, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

There are some compromises to be made though. I don't want to go into too much detail, but I'm running a buschur vband exhaust with a boost actuated baffle. IIRC, With the baffle open it's a straight through exhaust (minus the thickness of the plate, not much different from the throttle plate when it's open) and it's 88 db at idle, 98 db at 3500 rpm. With the baffle closed it's 78-79db at idle and low-mid 80s at 3500. This is actually quieter than two stock EVOs I've measured. And the car is making plenty of power with it open, much more than the Invidia with the tail pipe silencer in for example.

I doubt many people are going to go through this much hassle to get this excellent mix of both properties, but my point is simply that if someone is motivated enough, it can be done. Otherwise for the half assers, Birdies post is completely accurate. The only real variable is how much performance you give up to get some level of sound reduction (efficiency). If I can drop my exhaust level 15 db at the expense of 5 hp, I'm all over that. I've seen some setups however that only drop it 5-10 db at 20-30 hp, much less desireable of course.
Old May 18, 2007, 09:56 AM

Why not go into detail about the boost-actuated baffle? That sounds like a dream solution for those of us who want to eat the road some of the time, but drive in a civil manner the rest of the time. Please tell us more (or just tell me.. haha)
Old May 18, 2007, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Because it's more complicated than it's worth. The concept is simple, but getting good efficiency (sound level reduction vs flow loss) is the hard part. I'm still not finished in the efficiency department...
Old May 19, 2008, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

cobb is suppose to be quiet

Quick Reply: Quiet free flowing exhaust