Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Quiet free flowing exhaust

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2008, 08:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Tanabe Touring Medallion with a UR test pipe and a Espelir DP. Sound is mellow with a sweet low rumble. The build quality is the best I have seen. I highly recommend it.
Old May 20, 2008, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My HKS Hi Power is pretty bearable at idle and cruise even with a test pipe, a deep and resonating "hum". At WOT is a different story, but any exhaust worth its salt on an Evo seems to be that way. FWIW I had a Blitz NUR spec on my SR and the HKS on the Evo seems 20-25% quieter.
Old May 20, 2008, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
If you want quiet 3" turbo back setup I honostly dont think there is anything else out there besides the COBB exhaust. If any one is like me in which you prefer to accelerate in pure silence then this exhaust is for you (its not silent but as quiet as can be).

I've had the Tanabe cat-back previously and that was very quiet and deep. But once I put on a resonated test pipe it became louder for my taste. Still a nice deep rumble but it was loud for my ears in cabin. The cobb with a full turbo back system (downpipe, resonated test pipe, catback) is quieter than the Tanabe Medalian with just a testpipe and catback.

When you go WOT the note does get louder but at a very bearable level. But during normal driving is where Cobb turbo back system shines. I thought my search for a quieter exhaust system would never end, but I'm done and ready to move on to other modifications. And no I do not work for Cobb lol.

Only 2 things I dislike about the cobb exhaust.
1. The tip is slightly not far out as much as I would like it to be. Its very stealthy but the exhaust smoke in my opinion is going to dirty the bumper during stand still idles. The Tanabe Medalion tip stock out about 1/4 inch so I never needed a exhaust bumper shield. Dont get me wrong its not as bad as I make it to be but its more of a luxury reason to prevent extra cleaning later.

2. The damn o2 bung is angled too high. Its enough clearance for the o2 sensor a lone, but you can not run a non fouler extension! There would not be enough clearance for the under body and major rubbing will resault. I'm either going to have to get a non fouler that is angled or tune out the 2nd o2 sensor.

Other than that a perfect finish, fit and excellent exhaust note!
Old May 2, 2009, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
If you want quiet 3" turbo back setup I honostly dont think there is anything else out there besides the COBB exhaust. If any one is like me in which you prefer to accelerate in pure silence then this exhaust is for you (its not silent but as quiet as can be).

I've had the Tanabe cat-back previously and that was very quiet and deep. But once I put on a resonated test pipe it became louder for my taste. Still a nice deep rumble but it was loud for my ears in cabin. The cobb with a full turbo back system (downpipe, resonated test pipe, catback) is quieter than the Tanabe Medalian with just a testpipe and catback.

When you go WOT the note does get louder but at a very bearable level. But during normal driving is where Cobb turbo back system shines. I thought my search for a quieter exhaust system would never end, but I'm done and ready to move on to other modifications. And no I do not work for Cobb lol.

Only 2 things I dislike about the cobb exhaust.
1. The tip is slightly not far out as much as I would like it to be. Its very stealthy but the exhaust smoke in my opinion is going to dirty the bumper during stand still idles. The Tanabe Medalion tip stock out about 1/4 inch so I never needed a exhaust bumper shield. Dont get me wrong its not as bad as I make it to be but its more of a luxury reason to prevent extra cleaning later.

2. The damn o2 bung is angled too high. Its enough clearance for the o2 sensor a lone, but you can not run a non fouler extension! There would not be enough clearance for the under body and major rubbing will resault. I'm either going to have to get a non fouler that is angled or tune out the 2nd o2 sensor.

Other than that a perfect finish, fit and excellent exhaust note!
So what made you go to the Burschur exhaust? Is it still as quiet?
Old May 2, 2009, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1 on the greedy evo2. the sound is not obnoxious at idle or wot, and the gains are on par with the louder exhausts on the market.
Old May 2, 2009, 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Anyone try the APEXI PS Revolution yet?
Old May 2, 2009, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Go custom, I have full 3", plugged into an Aero 2540I muffler. You can enlarge the inlet portion if this muffler to except 3" tubing. I verified this with AeroExhaust engineers. There 3" truck/suv muffler, and the 2540i are the same internals, just different inlets welded to the actual muffler(any one who doesnt know Aero Exhausts, they are like corsa mufflers, reasearch um, nascar mufflers). A customizer will know what you want. Sound wise, it is not that loud, cruzing at 2k ~2.5k rpms. WOT, and if you hold it from 3k ~ 4K it hits its resonant frequency, but growls fierce. Does not sound ricey at all. Very deep, very throaty.