Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Completely lost in the problem....need input

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2006 | 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

Completely lost in the problem....need input

4 or so months back I was custom tuned for the following mods. TBE, MBC, LICP, Walbro 255, Cone Filter, BOV.

The tune also has a flash on it.

During the tuning my clutch was slipping about 200-300rpm. And after I was tuned I started having a few problems. They said it was due to the clutch slipping most likely. Well that's been fixed, and so I finally decided to go WOT once again.

A: The car is slow as hell now...took it to the track to prove it, ran 12.5 before and then ran a 13.8 both times in similar conditions

B: It seems to like to pull timing sometimes IE: at about 6k-rpm, the car will stay there for a few seconds, not increase speed at all, then start back up then stall again.

So I thought maybe my fuel pump was dead again (3rd one) so I took that out and put the stock one back in. It hasn't pulled timing like it was before, but still does slightly.

So I took the tuning computer off, and the car still is slower then hell. It's still runing the flash, cause I have no way right now of flashing back to stock. Took it for one run again at the track, and ran a 13.7

All my friends when they're driving behind me, say my car is reeking of gas smell.

So i'm at a loss for words. The dealer cant figure it out, and I cant take my car to the tuner because that's a good 20+hr drive.

Any thoughts on what it could be?

Bad tune? Bad Flash? Injectors? Spark Plugs? anything?

I spent years saving up to buy and evo, and now i'm at the point of not wanting it anymore, if it's going to act like this.

So any input you guys can give me would be beyond appreciative.
Old Aug 29, 2006 | 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

it can't hurt to give your tuner a call and see what he has to say
Old Aug 29, 2006 | 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

I did a long long time ago during the original problem, they said the tranny. I just thought i'd put this up here for now, since I cant make a call for a few more days. (had wisdom teeth removed)
Old Aug 29, 2006 | 08:46 PM

i would not stress about ure evo......patience is a virtue especially with a car. i would try to find a buddy who is knowledgable about turbo cars and have him take a look at it......just talk to someone even if they are a stranger....you would be suprised on how many random people crusing on the street have worked as mechanics and know about tuning problems.
Old Aug 29, 2006 | 08:49 PM

even clutch slip would not be the problem....nor transmisssion...i would check you're lines for a possible boost leak #1......#2 play with ure timing advance or retard it
Old Aug 29, 2006 | 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

Definately talked to my two buddies who know turbo cars in and out. Both have built many cars themselves that tear apart everyone. They cant figure it out either.

Did a boost leak check a few days ago. Had one minor one, fixed that right up, no change.

My only last resort I guess is to go to the shop where it was tuned and talk to the guy who does local tuning.
Old Aug 29, 2006 | 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

if its not mechanical, its the flash.................
Old Aug 29, 2006 | 09:28 PM
Evolving Member

that's been my guess the whole time. No one has found anything wrong mechanically. So I guess i'll either wait to hear back from the guy who tuned it (emailed him since I cant talk now) and see what he can do. Or just get the ecu flashed back to stock. Then take my standalone to our local tuner and have him redo it.
Old Aug 29, 2006 | 11:34 PM
Evolved Member

What do the spark plugs look like?

http://www.machv.com/diagsparplug.html
Old Aug 30, 2006 | 05:28 AM
Evolving Member

Can you get race gas?

Dump a few gallons in there and run it. I would think if you're pulling timing because of knock etc then the race gas would help you out.

Not sure if this is a viable option - just trying to help out.
Old Aug 30, 2006 | 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Is your turbo blown??? Is there oil in you pipes??? You have not said anything about your boost
Old Aug 30, 2006 | 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

Boost seems perfectly fine. There's a little bit of oil in the piping that connect to the inlet of the turbo. But everyone has said that's normal.

and I have tried the race gas before, that didn't do anything.

Spark plugs are fine, i just replaced them about a month ago.
Old Oct 8, 2006 | 11:41 AM

i have actually experienced this too, engine runs a little harsher, and it smells very very acrid. like gas and vinegar almost. It's very strong. seems to be at idle only. its totally intermittent too.
Old Oct 8, 2006 | 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

i would say get ur tune reflashed with dynoflash have him look at your map... but also if you smell gas when your driving it.. your car is running really rich... which can be a good or bad thing.. i would say your tune is messed up.. and the oil in the pipes is just from the valve cover from the blow by gases ..