Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

The "Clunk" in the "tunnel", my observations/troubles.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2006, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ugh... that sucks, man. I hope you get everything fixed okay! It's interesting, because I have a very similar problem that only happens on the dyno. When razorlab and I were on the dyno, we heard the same noise. When I brought the car in for the 30k service, I looked underneath and saw that my midpipe was all worn away in the same area that you had talked about. Thanks for posting this for those of us with similar "loose change" noice.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 02:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Matz
Ugh... that sucks, man. I hope you get everything fixed okay! It's interesting, because I have a very similar problem that only happens on the dyno. When razorlab and I were on the dyno, we heard the same noise. When I brought the car in for the 30k service, I looked underneath and saw that my midpipe was all worn away in the same area that you had talked about. Thanks for posting this for those of us with similar "loose change" noice.
We both had the same problem then! If anyone hears the "clunk" under the car, and think it is a "diff." problem, I would reccomend checking this first. The car is back together, and well again. Now the only thing left to do is fix an oil leak, then it's off to the dyno again!
Old Sep 1, 2006, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to say you always have the funniest stories (I know they're not truly funny). But the way you tell them they are and you seem to have an amazingly good attitude.

Is the "$5 carrier bearing fix" applicable to the evos? I haven't looked at the driveshaft bearing supports on my evo to see if they're the same on the DSMs, but on the DSMs the supports were very floppy and allowed the the driveshaft to move around and hit things. To stiffen them you filled the rubber bearing surround with silicone thru a hole in them which made them much more rigid.

You should be able to find a description of this procedure on vfaq.com or one of the DSM sites.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kevin, PLEASE let me look over the car before we head to Putnam in October. We don't need anything falling off going into turn 1....
Old Sep 1, 2006, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

What? Putnam? October? ... when? any spots left?

Kevin, you realize that what you are dealing with is .... THE CURSE OF THE STICKERS!!! ...

It looks like I may be in Indy at the end of September. I'll swing by if I get some extra time. Do they ever let regular cars race the Indy circuit?

l8r)
Old Sep 1, 2006, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

NASA IN/OH Regional event, October 7-8 at Putnam Park. Plenty of room yet! I'm trying to get a bunch of Evo's out there, since I'm usually the only one! Now if we can just keep Kevins car in one piece until then.... The only time I have seen street cars at IMS is when they open it up for folks that have prepurchased 4 seats to the F1 race. I did it a few years back in my Eclipse. It's just a single parade lap though.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Man That $hit On The First Page Has Got Me Snappin Crackers Man,$hits Is Funny
Old Sep 4, 2006, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
What? Putnam? October? ... when? any spots left?

Kevin, you realize that what you are dealing with is .... THE CURSE OF THE STICKERS!!! ...

It looks like I may be in Indy at the end of September. I'll swing by if I get some extra time. Do they ever let regular cars race the Indy circuit?

l8r)
You are always welcome to my place Ludi, maybe if I remove the stickers, my luck will change!!
Old Sep 4, 2006, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I have to say you always have the funniest stories (I know they're not truly funny). But the way you tell them they are and you seem to have an amazingly good attitude.

Is the "$5 carrier bearing fix" applicable to the evos? I haven't looked at the driveshaft bearing supports on my evo to see if they're the same on the DSMs, but on the DSMs the supports were very floppy and allowed the the driveshaft to move around and hit things. To stiffen them you filled the rubber bearing surround with silicone thru a hole in them which made them much more rigid.

You should be able to find a description of this procedure on vfaq.com or one of the DSM sites.
Thanks Steve!! Great info!!
Old Sep 4, 2006, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 992gnt
Kevin, PLEASE let me look over the car before we head to Putnam in October. We don't need anything falling off going into turn 1....
You're DAMN OPTIMISTIC!!! Have you read my "lucky tales?" What makes you think I will make it to TURN 1 in the first place, they could drop the flag, and I drop my driveshaft!!
Old Sep 4, 2006, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Just lookin out for you brother!
Old Sep 4, 2006, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Just lookin out for you brother!
I was kidding, I will just have to chase you down this time, looking for some LOW 1:20's!! that is if I stay together long enough!! You better give the car a "once over" when you get here, I really would appreciate that!!

As a side note, last years HPDE at Putnam park, I couldn't get over 12PSI of boost, as the magnacor wires were crappy!!! So my speeds were hampered on the straitaway, every time before I got to the start/finish I would get the miserable POP-POP-POP!! Then When I put the car on the trailer Saturday PM, I noticed my Serpintine belt was shredding and pieces were in my brake caliper on the passenger side!! If I stayed longer, my belt would have Exploded off the pulleys, and I would have ended up............who knows where. This was because I was racing that weekend with my Oil-pump balance shaft 180 degrees out of sync, and caused the belt to fray apart!!!! (The problem was discovered 4K miles LATER!!)I shredded 4 of them, one on the dyno at dyno4mance last year. So you are correct!! I need some looking over! But I think all will be sorted out this time.........................*ahem* I hope!!
Old Sep 4, 2006, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Should be a good chase, I won't be happy unless I break into the teens!
Old Sep 4, 2006, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Should be a good chase, I won't be happy unless I break into the teens!
You better, I guess I could "bump draft" you, if I can catch you!! You gotta give me some pointers.
Old Sep 4, 2006, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

I feel for you smoked. I see you on here all the time and you always have an upbeat attitude about everything that happens! Im sorry this stuff keeps happening to you man. You've got a killer set up and i wish you the best of luck in getting all your problems fixed.

Quick Reply: The "Clunk" in the "tunnel", my observations/troubles.