Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

The "Clunk" in the "tunnel", my observations/troubles.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2006, 02:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tripperfx3
I feel for you smoked. I see you on here all the time and you always have an upbeat attitude about everything that happens! Im sorry this stuff keeps happening to you man. You've got a killer set up and i wish you the best of luck in getting all your problems fixed.
Thanks for the kind words tripper, I will get it the way I want it, I keep the upbeat attitude, life is short, and problems are hurdles you just have to jump over. Thanks again.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 03:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just recently started experiencing the "loose change" noises and have been trying to figure it out. Recently we concluded it was drivetrain related but uncertain of what part. On the carrier bearings, how much play is too much play? What's considered oem\normal?

Thanks.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 03:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by spudlus
I just recently started experiencing the "loose change" noises and have been trying to figure it out. Recently we concluded it was drivetrain related but uncertain of what part. On the carrier bearings, how much play is too much play? What's considered oem\normal?

Thanks.
That I will find out in a couple hours, and report back here. if you go under the car, and push the driveshaft UP (towards the floor boards, like you were bench pressing the car ) look at the bracket holding the carrier bearing. mine had 1/2" seperation from the bolts and the bracket. that was TOO much, and caused the "change" clanking. I will be stopping by the dealership today to find out an answer to this very question you asked.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ditto

Same deal with me... I too had a "clunk'n" sound come from the rear of driveshaft just under the rear seats. Mistakenly I tightened the carrier bearings and snapped a stud under the driver seat. Luckily I knew an ex nascar driver with a body shop that managed to do it for under $100 bucks just by swapping the stud out... how to this day is still a mystery. He claims it took him 15mins when others would charge for 15hrs. The culprit to the noise turned out to be the rear drive shaft has a bearing that loss its grease so I had to get it re-built....hope this helps anyone