Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

The "Clunk" in the "tunnel", my observations/troubles.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2006, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy The "Clunk" in the "tunnel", my observations/troubles.

When I was on the Dyno at AMS, the boys there told me that something was "rattling" under the car, in the Tunnel area, between the seats, but under the car. They said it might be a Propeller shaft (Driveshaft) going bad. You know me, I thought it was some "loose change" rattling under the carpet.

Anyway, it would come on at highest TORQUE on the dyno, you would HEAR the "slap/slap/slap" under the car, and if you put your hand next to the e-brake, you would feel it as well. THis problem also is loud when driving it on the road, and you can feel "something" Thumping under the car. When the car got home, we jacked it up, and after it cooled down, we shook the driveshaft. We were ABLE to reproduce the sound, so we DID find the problem. It was the "center carrier bearing" bracket. which had too much play in it. We were able to push up on the bracket, and it had 1/4" or more play in it.

Don't know how or why, but this "loosening" of the bracket, holding in the first carrier bearing around the driveshaft, caused the driveshaft to flop-around and cause a sound under the car. there was NO steering wheel vibrations, or vibrations when you drive the car OUT of the MAX torque "window".

ANYWAY, DON'T DO THIS!!! We tried to tighten the bolts on the carrier bearing, and BROKE a bolt holding the carrier!!!! And to let you know, the bolt was still tightening when this happened! to repair this, you need a whole NEW TUNNEL!!! Which the welding a new one in, (Not including purchasing a new tunnel) is about $700!! I am working around that, will explain what, if you need to know. It will be STRONGER than the original bolt anyhow. I don't know if there is a time to change these bearings/brackets out, and at what mileage, but a "set" cost 61.00 at the dealership (Carrier bearing AND bracket). I have 70K miles on my car, and that small fee is worth paying for, before you get the slop I expierenced. If you have a "thunk", trust me, its not loose pocket change rattling under the carpet!!!

Last edited by smokedmustang; Aug 31, 2006 at 01:37 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

Cant you just get a bolt removal kit from sears?!?!?!? Why buy and weld a whole new tunnel? Man you have the worst luck/worst lemon Evo I always see you on here with a major problem, I feel bad for you.....
Old Aug 31, 2006, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry to hear all troubles Kevin. Hope you find them all.

Kinda feel like this?

Damn gremlins...
Old Aug 31, 2006, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Sorry to hear all troubles Kevin. Hope you find them all.

Kinda feel like this?

Damn gremlins...
Which one should I feel like?? Its ALL good, I am an optimist. the bolt head is between the tunnel, and the floor pan. it is all a part of the tunnel. I am having them cut a hole in my floor, to expose the bolt head, drop another bolt thru there, and tack weld the bolt head in position. that is better. I am not worried, I got just about everything repaired now, and ready for Dyno/Track times, till something else falls off!! I am just reporting my findings, so you guys dont have the headaches I do!

P.S. am a big fan of the original Twighlight zones, I think I need to jump on the "next train to Willoughby"
Old Aug 31, 2006, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Dont know if many would get it.

Sounds like you are man with a plan.

Its one of my favorites.

Last edited by Smike; Aug 31, 2006 at 02:07 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

I kind of feel like this has been happening to me lately!

Old Aug 31, 2006, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

When I COULDN'T Get my dyno numbers correct, due to boost leaks, I felt like this!!

Old Aug 31, 2006, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

When I broke the carrier bearing bolt, I felt like doing this to the nearest kid, however, I don't wear a dress!!

Old Aug 31, 2006, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smokedmustang
I kind of feel like this has been happening to me lately!

From what I have been reading on your posts I would agree.

You are getting hosed... LOL
Old Aug 31, 2006, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cajun Power
From what I have been reading on your posts I would agree.

You are getting hosed... LOL
I will get it "sorted".
Old Aug 31, 2006, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

UPDATE:

Jed Clampett here....... I picked up the car from the dealership, and when I was heading home, I heard this "Snapping" sound under the car, and thought to myself "Here we go again" . back to this in a minute.

I have the front bumper cover off the car, because it was easier for me to re-install my "newly repaired" AMS LICP. I drove "off boost" until I got close to home, At which time I could see if I could get the boost up, and maintain it. I got 1/4 mile from home, and got on it, and INTO boost, when all the sudden POP!!! No power. I was "dead-sticking" it home from there, I knew if a hose popped off, I could coast home from there. As I was Pulling up to the neighborhood, I saw my wife sitting there with her sister on the front porch, with a puzzled look on their face. of course the car wasn't under power............I got out, and said "I changed it to a hybrid"

My wife then informed me that there was "wires" hanging down under the car!!?? I looked at it, and apparently the Mechanic left his bungie cords wrapped around my exhaust when he fixed the carrier bearing, and they "Snapped off" and were hanging down.

I then proceeded to the front of the car (No bumper cover on) and looked to see if I LOST a hose clamp.....................Low and behold, the WHOLE DAMN PIPE WAS GONE!!(including the hose clamps! WTF!!?? I just had that baby fixed, and it must be somewhere in the road, waiting for some Cement mixer to SMASH it!! Those AMS pipes are the shizzle, but expensive!!! I ran in, grabbed another car, and went looking for my damn pipe on the road. I was surprised to see that thing SHOT LIKE A CANNON over the bike path, 20 feet from the road!!! If It hit a kid not wearing a helmet, sure I would help and render aid, but MY GOD that was funny!! I am back now, so far *ahem* so good.

Last edited by smokedmustang; Aug 31, 2006 at 03:31 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
about the only thing on your car that hasn't broke is the rear wing. That thing is indestructable! Oh wait, you changed that out already didn't you?

I feel for you smoked, you've had more than your fair share of issues. Keep the faith.....
Old Aug 31, 2006, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
(Smoked me and my girl are laughing). Some luck at least you didnt hit anybody with your pipe
Old Aug 31, 2006, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dubbleugly01
about the only thing on your car that hasn't broke is the rear wing. That thing is indestructable! Oh wait, you changed that out already didn't you?

I feel for you smoked, you've had more than your fair share of issues. Keep the faith.....
I got the faith!! it is going well right now, because its in the garage and NOT RUNNING!!!
Old Aug 31, 2006, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
(Smoked me and my girl are laughing). Some luck at least you didnt hit anybody with your pipe
Just because I found my Intercooler pipe laying next to a kid face down in a pool of blood, it can't be proven the pipe did it!!

Quick Reply: The "Clunk" in the "tunnel", my observations/troubles.