Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Drive Belt Tensioner Movemnt?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2006, 11:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drive Belt Tensioner Movemnt?

Hey guys

My drive belt tensioner moves huge amounts - if i idle in garage and blip the throttle the thing moves a good 1-2cm or more bouncing around a bit! anyway got a bit of a vibratey noise at idle coming from exactly there too...it doesnt look 100% 'tight' i guess but from what i gather could be spring mounted etc. Anyway as i increase the RPM the pulley (which im sure is the tensioner, since its immediately underneath/slightly to the right of the alternator pulley) moves heaps to the right, and when im at about 4,000rpm it is heaps further over to the right putting a fair bit of pressure on the belt it seems making quiiite the whining noise!!. then when i let off throttle it jerks back to its original position.

i can push on arm thingo the pulley seems to be on with a bar and it moves obviously spring mounted etc but quite a bit of movement i reckon

is this normal?
would this explain the rattley/slightly squeaky idle sound from car noticeable from drivers wheel well (which is inline with the location of this pulley,! RHD)

??

Trav
Old Sep 3, 2006, 12:17 AM
Evolving Member

ps I should also add, the centre pulley (not sure what it is) but think 5-7cm to the right of the alternator pulley and up a bit, that is quite polished where the belt goes...

do I have a problem?

funnily enough the noise which is a problem at idle etc is most noticeable from drivers wheel well (RHD) which has holes going through and also into the engine bay around those areas which would allow the noise to transmit.

Is this making any sense lol or is this all normal?? brand new IX 1500kms!

Trav
Old Sep 3, 2006, 03:53 AM
Evolving Member

bump for info...sigh...lol my poor evo

Last edited by troe666; Sep 3, 2006 at 06:04 AM.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

bump all i need is an evo 9 owner to go out to their car, start it, and blip the throttle and look down the belt-side of the engine and see if the lower-most pulley moves and blips around with the throttle, and make sure for me that the tensioner moves quite a LOT under higher rpm as you rev it???

and the whining sound i have as well as the vibration sound at idle all appear to be coming from this tensioner????

Trav
Old Sep 3, 2006, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that is normal.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

thanks..

is the whining sound when cold and vibration at idle from this pulley something that indicates it should be changed?

Trav
Old Sep 3, 2006, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nothing there should be vibrating or whining especially on such a new car. The movement of the tensioner is perfectly normal the rest isnt.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

OK thanks im going to try and get it into the dealership today/ASAP

Cheers
Travis
Old Sep 4, 2006, 05:40 AM
Evolving Member

update: dealer removed the serpentine belt today and we started/ran the car briefly, few seconds, long enough to confirm its not that that's the problem. So neither the bottom tensioner, the alternator, or any of the other serpentine belt pulleys are to blame.

top timing cover removal at home showed no issues I could personally detect, so the dealership are now removing the bottom timing cover to try and locate the issue. Theyre looking at possibly the idler pulley or similar being the actual issue.....I hope so....I dont know what else it could be chattering/making idle vibration from around that area.....

we shall see in the morning!
im convinced the idler pulley is the problem

Trav
Old Sep 4, 2006, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

Im having a similiar noise on my viii. Update the thread when you find something out.

--Josh
Old Sep 4, 2006, 05:01 PM
Evolving Member

yep will do, it relates closely to the 'Who's 2006 Rattles at Idle' so I fear I might have to double-post the solution, but hey better two posts of the solution than none, right!

I'm waiting with baited breath to see what the stealership have come up with. They havent rung me in a real hurry which seems like a good sign (they found the problem) and a bad sign (the problem isnt so easy/quick to fix) lol

Trav
Old Sep 4, 2006, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

problem located.

Timing belt had too much flap/movement in it,
The tensioner had a small amount of moisture behind it, it is the cause of the noise and issue and is now being replaced. Part is being overnighted from Sydney to here now,

I will be back on the road by tomorrow afternoon and will be able to give you the results of the fix Stay tuned...

Also Ive delayed my coilover fitment by a day so I suspect that won't occur until Thursday or Friday now. Bring on the weekend I got my custom plates too - 'EVOLVE'

Trav