Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Weird sound coming from pulley and belts

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2006, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Weird sound coming from pulley and belts

Lately ive been hearing this weird metallic sound around the pulley area and were all the belts are. At first i thought it was coming from the cam gears but it wasnt. It sounds like a piece of metal is vibrating against something.Its a high pitch sound, its not loud but definitely noticeable.. Are the belts going bad? Any suggestions would be appreciated
Old Sep 6, 2006, 05:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It MAYBE bearings going bad in any of the following........ alternator.......AC compressor........tensioner.
I have a high pitched bearing sound also, it's just not at the point where I need to change it yet.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

bump!
Old Sep 6, 2006, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

could be water pump going out.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

There are a couple threads on this. Mainly from 05-06 owners. I'm having a similar sound with my 05. I removed the drive belt and spun the waterpump by hand with no resistance or noise. Then I spun the powersteering pump and it didn't have any resistance but it DID have some noise. Mine has done this since it was new (25k miles ago) with no problems just a annoying noise.

Last edited by evo 8 ya; Sep 6, 2006 at 08:43 AM.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Mine has a mysterious tick too...I too have an 05. It sounds like it is under the dash...I can't hear it under the hood just from in the cab?....
Old Sep 6, 2006, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Mine is coming from under the fender behind the plastic by the wheel well. I popped the hood and its coming from around the belts. I already had my water pump replaced 2x after the freeze plug blew out.. Im gona take it to the dealer this week and have them check it out
Old Sep 6, 2006, 09:07 AM

On my 04 I had a squeaking or almost jingling sound around the timing/serp belt.

It would get louder when pulling away from a stop, it drove me crazy because it sounded metallic.

On a suggestion in another thread, I sprayed some belt dressing on the serp. belt...

That has fixed for over 1000 miles now!

Good luck!
Old Sep 6, 2006, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVIL_EVO_VIII
Mine is coming from under the fender behind the plastic by the wheel well. I popped the hood and its coming from around the belts. I already had my water pump replaced 2x after the freeze plug blew out.. Im gona take it to the dealer this week and have them check it out
Is it like a rotational grinding sound?
Old Sep 6, 2006, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo 8 ya
Is it like a rotational grinding sound?
Not really, its more like a metallic sound, kinda like when theres a loose bolt and its rattling
Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Damn I hope I don't have that freeze plug prob....I know my warranty would be void like a ****.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 02:26 PM
Evolving Member

I have exact same problem been chasing it for a week now.

I have no idea , we have tried taking serpentine belt off, still hear noise, changed timing belt tensioner, still hear noise.

another person replaced timing belt idler pulley and fixed.

i dont think its power steering or alternator because when the serp belt is off theyre disabled.

i definately have the exact same problem.

What is the freeze plug problem?
im very worried about my car

Trav
Old Sep 6, 2006, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Some of the 05s (correct me if I am wrong) have blown freeze plugs out of the block for unknown reasons and warped heads and caused all sorts of other nonsense.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

EVIL EVO VIII -- stay in touch man we have got the exact same problem 4 sure. mines in the wheel well behind plastic cover directly from crank pulley / lower timing cover area.

some other dude replaced idler pulley that fixed his.

mine we did tensioner already no joy. im sure its not power steering or anything on the serp belt since we took that off and could still hear it as far as we could tell. so i think its gotta be on the balance belt or the timing belt and down low somewhere near the crank pulley. in fact im 100% sure of that much.

if you get ANY resolution on it please PM me ASAP....im getting mitsubishi Australia to look at my car Again and we are going to chase this until it's fixed as the noise is VERY annoying/concerning.

Trav

Last edited by troe666; Sep 6, 2006 at 07:44 PM.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by troe666
EVIL EVO VIII -- stay in touch man we have got the exact same problem 4 sure. mines in the wheel well behind plastic cover directly from crank pulley / lower timing cover area.

some other dude replaced idler pulley that fixed his.

mine we did tensioner already no joy. im sure its not power steering or anything on the serp belt since we took that off and could still hear it as far as we could tell. so i think its gotta be on the balance belt or the timing belt and down low somewhere near the crank pulley. in fact im 100% sure of that much.

if you get ANY resolution on it please PM me ASAP....im getting mitsubishi Australia to look at my car Again and we are going to chase this until it's fixed as the noise is VERY annoying/concerning.

Trav
Exactly!! Mine comes from the wheel well also.. Its one of the belts i think, i was trying to pin point the noise last night but the funny thing is that when i went to try to find the noise, it was gone. Now its back again today...I thimk it started making this noise ever since they replaced my water pump 2x whern my freeze plug blew out 2x and they had to take the head off

Quick Reply: Weird sound coming from pulley and belts