Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Where to flow test an intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2006, 04:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to flow test an intercooler?

Alright I have this FMIC that I will leave unnamed to keep dispute down. I would like to find a place that will pressure test it, test loss at different psi ranges etc.

Anybody know of such a place? I know the local radiator shops can pressure test but I doubt they can flow test in the ways that I am looking for. I could be wrong.

If I can prove or disprove the stock unit vs this unit it could sunstantiate realistic gains and a the same time throw them out too...then I can go buy onf of the more expensive FMIC's available out there.

Any help would be great!

EDIT: I found this useful article but still no place that does it. It looks like a flow bench would have to be utilized.
http://www.ttmtechnical.com/intercooling.htm

Last edited by MitsuJoe; Sep 6, 2006 at 04:58 PM.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 07:01 PM
Former Sponsor

your best bet would be to find a local engine shop that has a flow bench and is willing to make a fixture to flow your intercooler. They'd have to fabricate a fixture to attatch the IC to the bench then reverse-flow it to simulate boost pressure as opposed to vaccuum (vacuum is how heads are flow tested). Figure on paying a few hours labor for them to make the fixture.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 07:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Is this a service your shop would provide?
Old Sep 7, 2006, 05:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
flow bench time is not cheap but you can call around your area to hipo engine shops and they will steer you to a shop with a bench. But, it really will not tell you what you want to know about an intercooler- which is efficiency. To do that you need temp probes and need to test on the car. On a flow bench you will only test flow at a pressure drop- which is something, but only a small part. Your intercooler could flow great but have the temp reduction efficiency of a muffler.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 06:32 AM
Former Sponsor

We could test it, we've got a SuperFlow 600 bench, but like Steve said, flow isn't going to tell you everything. The intercooler is worthless if it can't dissipate the heat which is it's main goal. That is usually the difference between the eBay intecoolers and the name brand pieces.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 10:10 AM
Former Sponsor

This is not hard for me to understand. Like I said if your price is worth it to me I may consider having it pressure drop tested. Also where could I test heat disspiation?

Would this be bolting it on my car and putting a temperature probe after the turbo and then before the Throttle body to test temperature drop? I imagine I can find a thermocouple probe pretty easily. Would this do the trick?