Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

broken stud on fuel pump retaining black ring how to fix?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2016, 10:40 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
if you are planning on replacing the tank then you will be removing it anyway, so just take it out and bring it to a local fab shop and have them repair it.
Agreed. No sense in scrapping it.

I was at a shop once and saw them tightening the nuts with a cordless, 3/8" drive impact.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I accidentally cross threaded one a while back and caused it to snap...whoops.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 11:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
One of mine doesn't tighten, the threads are messed up near the base, so once there is even a tiny bit of torque on the nut, it just spins. Hasn't broken yet though, knock on wood/fingers crossed lol
Old Mar 15, 2016, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Delete

Last edited by edsct9a; Mar 15, 2016 at 12:28 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 11:13 AM
kaj

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
One of mine doesn't tighten, the threads are messed up near the base, so once there is even a tiny bit of torque on the nut, it just spins. Hasn't broken yet though, knock on wood/fingers crossed lol
Don't....Even....look...at...It....
Old Mar 15, 2016, 12:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 350 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by edsct9a
Got a pic of the damage? Is there any part of the stud slightly sticking out?
Nope, it sheared right off the base .

Looks like this is a known problem in the evo/dsm world. You guys think I should give this a try ?

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/rep...-studs.256249/

While i'm at it I would just upgrade all these whimpy little bolts. There is a noticeable pop when these studs break, but they won't come off immediately. Instead, they'll take a few more turns to break completely off.

It doesn't matter though because when you hear that initial "pop" you've lost all real holding force.

-pal215

Last edited by Pal215; Mar 15, 2016 at 12:12 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 12:08 PM
EvoM Guru

if you are planning on replacing the tank then you will be removing it anyway, so just take it out and bring it to a local fab shop and have them repair it.
That's a good point! I wonder how they would go about fix something like this. Re welding another stud?

-pal215
Old Mar 15, 2016, 12:29 PM

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Pal215
That's a good point! I wonder how they would go about fix something like this. Re welding another stud?

-pal215
Yah thats what i would think. Grind/drill the old one out and tac a new one in. If i was you I would get the tank as clean as you possibly can before you take it to them. Otherwise they are gonna charge you for the time it takes to clean it so that it doesn't catch on fire / blow up when the go to weld on it.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 01:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Yah thats what i would think. Grind/drill the old one out and tac a new one in. If i was you I would get the tank as clean as you possibly can before you take it to them. Otherwise they are gonna charge you for the time it takes to clean it so that it doesn't catch on fire / blow up when the go to weld on it.

My buddy recommended the ol' empty tank throw a match method . You get rid of all the liquid fuel and then toss in a match to obliterate the vapors.

Hopefully leaving it outside in the backyard for a few days would just make it all evaporate so I don't have to try something that crazy.

-pal215
Old Mar 15, 2016, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

My buddy recommended the ol' empty tank throw a match method . You get rid of all the liquid fuel and then toss in a match to obliterate the vapors.

Hopefully leaving it outside in the backyard for a few days would just make it all evaporate so I don't have to try something that crazy.

-pal215
LMAO if you do try the match method plz video tape that.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

-pal215
LMAO if you do try the match method plz record that ****.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 03:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 3gturbo
LMAO if you do try the match method plz record that ****.
If i do use that method i'll record it. For some reason I feel like it would do more harm than good though haha!

-pal215
Old Mar 18, 2016, 10:03 AM
EvoM Guru

Got the tank out of the car, removed all the fuel I could see, then left it outside overnight to pay for what it's done. I will leave it outside to defume for the next 1 or 2 days then wipe down what I can see with some carb cleaner and all purpose cleaner. The baffling inside this tank is interesting. I need a hot day to evap all the fumes.

-pal215
Old Mar 18, 2016, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Got the tank out of the car, removed all the fuel I could see, then left it outside overnight to pay for what it's done. I will leave it outside to defume for the next 1 or 2 days then wipe down what I can see with some carb cleaner and all purpose cleaner. The baffling inside this tank is interesting. I need a hot day to evap all the fumes.

-pal215
This made me lol so thank you sir

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. This happened to my buddy recently so we ended up replacing the tank. Such a bummer for such a stupid thing. Its weird bc the stud is sandwiched in the tank with another piece of metal. No reason why you can't have something rewelded in there but he opten to just scrap it
Old Mar 18, 2016, 12:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by heel2toe
This made me lol so thank you sir

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. This happened to my buddy recently so we ended up replacing the tank. Such a bummer for such a stupid thing. Its weird bc the stud is sandwiched in the tank with another piece of metal. No reason why you can't have something rewelded in there but he opten to just scrap it
Haha ,

I agree with you 100%. I can't believe the trouble a single 8mm nut on a stud could cause.

It's definitely sandwiched between another metal piece which looks like part of the baffling of the tank. My welder quoted me at 100 bucks if I bring the tank to him, which actually isn't bad if he can actually get it done haha. I have faith in him for now as he has welded jet fuel tanks, propane tanks, fuel tanks, boat tanks , etc..

I'll have him grind down all of the studs and weld in thicker ones. The hard part is that these welds have to be VERY clean. If the puddle is too thick, the fuel pump housing retention bracket wont seat flush against the opening of the tank and then we are back to square one.

-pal215

Quick Reply: broken stud on fuel pump retaining black ring how to fix?