Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ATP GT3076R - Impressions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2006, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scorke
Durrrr, at least in this case, but I am going to assume he is going to be using a twin scroll exhaust manifold, by judging the design of the gasket and hotside/housing.

You can have a twin scroll 3076..... so to say it is NOT a twin scroll turbo is incorrect, however this is a regular t3 housing

Scorke
I would agree, this being the restrictive part of the ATP turbos....
Old Sep 11, 2006, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

^ or at least we think...........

I wanted to think that something else was the cause, since Vishnu's Stage 2 kits make good power, it must be the housing that causes the main restriction, not the stock manifold.

Scorke
Old Sep 11, 2006, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

Scorke
Respect my thread and everyone's comments or get out. It's that simple.

______

There is no doubt the housing is putting up some backpressure. The location of the WG being in the exhaust path prior to the scroll could be one.

Taking every flow restriction out of the equation should lead to whether or not its the housing itselft. Meaning - the IX wont have a cat, it does have a full 3" exhaust, larger 272 exh cam and a Megan header.

The housing is an .82 a/r and has been port matched. At this point, its up to the design of the housing by ATP/Garrett.

I dunno whats going to happen on the dyno.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

I wanted to think that something else was the cause, since Vishnu's Stage 2 kits make good power, it must be the housing that causes the main restriction, not the stock manifold.

Scorke
Well thats what i mean, wouldn't it just be called a "twin scroll" housing?

The stock manifold is good for power i know. I almost bought one of the ATP kits for my '03 when it first came out but decided to wait for the reviews.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

There is the divided housing, now that coupled with a well designed manifold and a nice external gate would probably make far better numbers, and rediculously improved spool.

Scorke
Old Sep 11, 2006, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

There is the divided housing, now that coupled with a well designed manifold and a nice external gate would probably make far better numbers, and rediculously improved spool.

Scorke
Yes, but it would defeat the purpose of the ATP kit for the Evo, which is to use the stock manifold. if i remmeber correctly the kit is around $2300, which is pretty cheap. No doubt that i did spend the extra cash on a Buschur kit for the well designed turbo and manifold but for the people that want to use the stock mani....i guess ATP would be the way to go.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Nez -

Excellent point and one that I have been trying to convey. ATP is the least expensive, full ball bearing, bolt in kit on the market. Period.

AFAIK, it doesnt produce numbers compared to kits costing 1K-3K more. But no one has ever taken the time to disect the problems and remove just about everything from the equation except for the housing itself.

I'm making every effort to do that for me and for the forum.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmokinJoe
ATP is the least expensive, full ball bearing, bolt in kit on the market. Period.
+1000

really cant wait for your results mate.

when do you think having the first results out?
Old Sep 11, 2006, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

It could be installed as soon as this weekend. Taking a look at my race schedule, I have a hillclimb in two weeks. Unsure if I can get everything tuned and ready by then. Also may get bumped out of my class - so that plays in to it. Either way, I'll see what this weekend holds and put up some pictures of the install once complete. Top Speed is only 5m from me.

Does anyone think the porting will help?
Old Sep 11, 2006, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Porting will definately help, the amount of metal and restriction you removed with your simple port job I can say without a doubt helped, how much is up to you to find out

Scorke
Old Sep 12, 2006, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

I think things are looking good for this weekend. I need to find some 680 injectors and header and turbo gaskets quickly - meaning before Friday.

Will the stock turbo to header work for this application - are the ports aligned the same?
Old Sep 12, 2006, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

^

I thought this kit was made to work with the stock manifold, and it was one of its biggest selling points, no?

Scorke
Old Sep 12, 2006, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

Good point! But remember what I am trying to prove..or at least, test. The ATP turbine housing. I'm going to reduce every bit of back pressure before and after the housing so we can get some unbiased results.

BTW - the Megan header is $199 bucks on Ebay. Not a large expense that takes the ATP kit into the territory of a Vishnu or Buschur.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jaylenospoolboy
Background on the kit;

It was installed at Tuning Technologies prior to the Vishnu/ Tuning Technologies S.M.A.R.T. Seminar around July 2005. It was the cameo car for the seminar.

Due to a wastegate issue, the car came back to TT a week after for re-tuning. It put down 373, 423, 460 WHP on 91, 98 mix, 105 unleaded in 100 degree weather with 272 cams. (And the adapter may have been leaking. Similar stage 2 kits have produced 480 WHP on race gas on other cars.)
-regarding his Vishnu stage 2 3076 kit

Vishnu kits make far more power and tq than any of the ATP kits. Vishnu stage 2 kits make use of the stock manifold and make plenty of power, buschur has made 400 or so whp on his mustang with a 20-9-g on his dyno using a stock manifold, so the stock manifold is not in anyway the main problem with your setup, the flaw of the ATP kit is that turbine housing.

199 is not a large expense because they are not of the highest quality, and do not prove that much of a gain, and alhtough you say it takes the ATP kit into the territory of a vishnu or buschur kit neither you nor I can say that, because there is no proof showing that, and I believe if you do switch manifolds it will have slim to no impact on the performance.

Scorke
Old Sep 12, 2006, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

Ok - you are misreading me.. Again.

Firstly - the addition of the header DOES NOT BRING THE KIT INTO THE TERRITORY OF THE HIGHER PRICED KITS. Make sense? I'm not changed the price point of the kit.

Secondly - I am adding a Megan header b/c it removed the stock header from the equation. The stock header MAY OR MAY NOT be a flow restriction. What we do know is, the Megan header is NOT A FLOW RESTRICTION compared to the stock header. It is either better or on par.

I'm trying to get down to just the turbine housing here.

Quick Reply: ATP GT3076R - Impressions