Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ATP GT3076R - Impressions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2006, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
o god another post sorry, but i have a IX, now i am looking for a kit-- within any price range-- that can give me reliable HP while the most complete kit (meaning i dont have to buy much anything else besides the kit to get this to run on my car). i know a clutch is in order, but what about injectors? exhaust? ect? (what other upgrades am i required to use with a car making close to 450+whp?)

also any kits come with a brain? can i use any kit with a reflashed ECU? who is best to do the reflashing of the ECU to work with an aftermarket kit? i had an AEM EMS on my s2000 (sold that car)and still have one on my 97 Supra TT, now if anyone is familiar with the AEM unit- in my s2000 i basically had to use my laptop to keep an eye on engine vitals (boost, temps., volt, ect.) because the AEM unit wouldn't allow for certain gauges on my gauge cluster to work, i.e. thermostat and engine codes. i want to try and retain my stock ECU for reasons unlike that. i dont want to have to use, in addition to the EMS, a temp guage or plug in an OBDII tool to diagnose problems. my s2000 blew its knock sensor and it literally took me to the time i sold the car to realize it was blown, simply because, i got no indication on the guage cluster or through the AEM EMS unit that my knock sensor wasn't working properly. unlike my s2000 ( i miss it!) my supra had none of those problems, weird i know, but had i had the ability to go another route besides the AEM EMS at the time i would have (but since i have no problems with it in the Sup now, its the best stand alone in its price range and i just cant justify selling it, not mention i dont think i can use a the stock ECU with an after market turbo kit. )
Old Sep 13, 2006, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SHIFTT IX MR
a kits fails, not when it doesn't produce HP, BUT WHEN IT BREAKS! i have much experience in the realm of boost, but id rather buy any kit that will constantly produce realiable numbers over a kit that has had even a couple failures. i'm sorry, but if i have to wonder if this kit is going to hold up under fire while im driving it, well, that just takes all the fun out of driving a fast car. im not trying to bash you, actually i was going to tell everyone is this thread to just put your opinions aside and shut up. let the numbers do the talking.

you see, i am interested in modding my EVO. but when you all give YOUR OPINIONS before i see facts, well what does that do to my decision? you see i want my kit to produce the most HP, while retaining a somewhat stock appearance and reliability. it seems that the ATP kit suffices both the appearance of it and its reliability -> so since i am looking for a kit similiar to this, your opinions on the Vishnu kits, not ATP, mean nothing. so please use your brain; think before you speak; most of all, realize what the subject of the thread is about, keep to it, and, leave your opinions for yourself unless asked.

JUST BE HAPPY YOU OWN AN EVO, AND LET'S TRY TO BETTER THE THREAD SUBJECT, NOT OUR OWN OPINIONS!!!!!!

JOHN

p.s. i am at work,so, i hope what i wrote is understand and apologize for the mis-spellings.

Very well stated.

It’s amazing how some members want us to buy the parts they bought even if its not reliable just so they can please a vendor. It's like our money is made of water.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by scorke
I agree with you MR, reliability is the most important feature, having one failure I do not see as a huuuuuuge problem. Shoot there are some vendors on here whom I wont mention who have had many, 5+ documented problems like this, and people still don't have a problem buying from them. In terms of giving opinions, yes we are all giving our opinions, however some of our opinions are based on facts, such as mine, so I don't see why you have an issue?

Also, if this thread were to put our opinions aside and shut up and let the numbers do the talking the thread wouldnt go anywhere because from all the numbers that have done all the talking in the past, nobody in there right mind would purchase an ATP kit.

To me, a turbokit also fails when it produces gains such that the hp is only marginally better while the tq drops dramatically, but thats just me. Does anybody else on these forums also have a problem with spending 2500+ dollars and in return getting performance similar to what can be achieved on your stock setup, I know I would be pissed.

Scorke

p.s.- SHIFT The thread title is ATP GT3076R- Impressions, unless impressions are quantitative anything pertinant to this thread should be an opinon........ The ATP kit you can see at www.atpturbo.com the vishnu kit you can see at Vishnu www.vishnutuning.com and yes it does reuse the stock manifold, and yes it appears just as stock as the ATP kit would
i realize what your saying about how a person, even considering the leap into a FULL TURBO KIT, might be when they compare the ATP kit to the Vishnu kit, however, having said that, isn't it tru that the market of each kit is different? isn't each kit specifically designed and produced for its inttended audience? the ATP is a kit for someone looking for moderate gains, the Vishnu is the opposite. so what i am saying is, someone buying the ATP are looking for gains within its realm, while people buying the Vishnu kit are looking for gains that agree with its price. argueably, it may seem that some people might want to also try to get the most HP out of each buck, so the fact that this person is trying to succeed in realizing more from the ATP kit, well, i just dont see how impressions of any other kit are relevant. if we wanted to compare apples to oranges; similiarly ATP kit to the Vishnu kit, then i would agree, but when the title of the thread reads "ATP GT3076R - Impressions" well id expect to see impressions of this kit. not people comparing other kits to this kit, especially when the kit he/she is running isn't ATP. granted, yes, sometimes its helpful, but, in this case all it came out to be was which one was better than the other when neither target the same audience.

im done btw.

john
Old Sep 13, 2006, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

Let's get back on topic. This thread isnt about supporting mods - or what it takes to install an ATP kit.

This thread is about PURE FACTS - from the dyno. Not from me. I am only sharing my experience and explaining what I am doing in preparation for the dyno. Everyone seems to agree that porting the housing was a step in the right direction. Again - an opinion only until we test.

Let's try to keep this on point.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

btw: if a kit were properly designed, why do they break? what comes with the car seems to take quite a bit of abuse before it goes also. i wish this could be said for aftermarket companies, but i guess this can explain the prices of OEM peices. maybe, just maybe, you do pay for what you get and contra.

john
Old Sep 13, 2006, 02:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SmokinJoe
Let's get back on topic. This thread isnt about supporting mods - or what it takes to install an ATP kit.

This thread is about PURE FACTS - from the dyno. Not from me. I am only sharing my experience and explaining what I am doing in preparation for the dyno. Everyone seems to agree that porting the housing was a step in the right direction. Again - an opinion only until we test.

Let's try to keep this on point.

you make me soo horny when you talk like that.

btw: im off! im going home! see you soon.

john
Old Sep 13, 2006, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Is nobody paying attention to the thread with the ATP3071s? He just said his lap times are one second slower than when he was stock! Thats more proof about the ATP's

Smokin...hurry up and get this together so we can see the numbers. If anyone knows how long a project can take it is me. My car has been down for five months as I collect parts.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

ATL -

Without a doubt - it will be installed this weekend. I'm short a pair of 720cc injectors and a fuel pump but they are in route. We are still days if not a week away from hitting the dyno. We may get lucky and have the same (or very close) ambient temps as my baseline runs - which occured in 85 degree weather and not the summer heat.

FYI
Lap times are sooooo subjective. My lap times can vary by 1sec - easily. Which is why - the dyno doesnt lie. When its apples to apples, of course.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by scorke
Spdracerut, I never said using a divided manifold was a bad idea, I said using a divided manifold without using a divided housing makes zero sense. If your going to take the time to divide the manifold, you might aswell have a divided turbo housing which again would improve the low end of the turbo/engine a whole lot, while dumping it into a big open housing as opposed to a divided one will yield worse results.
I do not agree with the 'zero sense' statement. If the exhaust manifold were not divided, it would not take advantage of the pulse tuning; might as well use a log manifold. The divided manifold paired with an undivided turbine housing will still perform better than an undivided manifold with undivided housing.

It came like this from Nissan from the factory. Most likely reason, making a divided manifold is a relatively easy casting procedure vs. a divided turbine housing. So, they took advantage of the performance gain for the minimal cost increase.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 02:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ATL -

Without a doubt - it will be installed this weekend. I'm short a pair of 720cc injectors and a fuel pump but they are in route. We are still days if not a week away from hitting the dyno. We may get lucky and have the same (or very close) ambient temps as my baseline runs - which occured in 85 degree weather and not the summer heat.
Just use correction factor and all the factor is same.It is very intrested to see a porting ATP GT3076R put down on dyno
Old Sep 15, 2006, 04:33 AM
Evolved Member

Well, I think that i have spent just as many nights on these boards as anyone else who's looking for answers on a turbo kit,If not more, and this is how i came up with my reasoning to buy what i bought.

ATP- These guys, much like many other companies, are out there tuning EVO's to turn a profit, not because they love it so much and they Snuggle with there evo @ night. If AL couldnt get it to make any power with his tuning then im pretty sure no one can. SO to ATP Stock style setup

Smoking Joe- I wish you all the luck in your adventure to make more power and to try and prove people wrong. However, you paid short money for this kit, so i cant really blame you for trying. whatever right ? Worst comes to worst You can always sell it.

For everyone else paying the 2300 for the ATP turbokit. Save your pennies, break you piggy bank and scramble up another 1200 bucks and go buy a respectable turbokit. Save yourself the aggrivation, and **** beating from EVOm Guru's and old folk that have already told you the same thing 20000 times that AMS, SBR, BR are those prices for a reason. We say to get them for a reason, They make good power, and are actually pretty good bangs for the buck when you consider some of the crap that Greddy, and HKS sells. Most of these kits will not only out perform, but out due them in almost anyfield and area ESP the Bottom line. [B]PRICE[/B]

Here you Guys go

SBR GT35R turbo kit.

AMS GT 35r Turbo Kit

Buschur Racing gt35r Turbo Kit

I picked the 35r because its just an example. Same goes for the 3076, 50 trim ECT
Old Sep 15, 2006, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

Spool -

I cant argue with you there. I am hoping the porting makes some measurable difference. Yet, its hard to imagine a drastic change.

If the dyno fails to yield anything there is another option. God, I hope I dont have to go this route. An internally wastegated T3 turbine housing for GT30R turbos - using the stock j-pipe and my 3" downpipe. The housing is about $200, plus about $50 for the actuator.

I'm already talking like it wont work. And thats the wrong prespective 5 days before hitting the dyno.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 316 Likes on 248 Posts
Smoking Joe, PM sent
Old Sep 15, 2006, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Spool -

I cant argue with you there. I am hoping the porting makes some measurable difference. Yet, its hard to imagine a drastic change.

If the dyno fails to yield anything there is another option. God, I hope I dont have to go this route. An internally wastegated T3 turbine housing for GT30R turbos - using the stock j-pipe and my 3" downpipe. The housing is about $200, plus about $50 for the actuator.

I'm already talking like it wont work. And thats the wrong prespective 5 days before hitting the dyno.

Im not trying to burst your Boost Bubble, but its just Physics the way i look at it, Imagine blowthing threw a straw, It Only Has a certain surface area that air can flow through. Same with the ATP housing, Its just too small for these GT series turbos.

I mean dont get me wrong 3076 is a great turbo, used for years, but The housing is the limitation. Im not sure what the Stock Turbo can flow, but i would imagine that a stock style exhuast housing would certainly not be able to support a larger turbo like the gt 3076.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Spooldyou
Im not trying to burst your Boost Bubble, but its just Physics the way i look at it, Imagine blowthing threw a straw, It Only Has a certain surface area that air can flow through. Same with the ATP housing, Its just too small for these GT series turbos.

I mean dont get me wrong 3076 is a great turbo, used for years, but The housing is the limitation. Im not sure what the Stock Turbo can flow, but i would imagine that a stock style exhuast housing would certainly not be able to support a larger turbo like the gt 3076.
Its not the size of the housing. Its not a stock housing made to fit a GT series turbo. ATP cast a custom hotside with the mitsu flange. But to overcome the reverse rotation of the stock turbo, the ATP unit makes a hideous bend before the exhaust flow hits the turbine wheel. Couple that with the terrible location of the internal wastegate and you get some major blocks in the flow. This is why the spool up is so slow on ATP turbos. Its not that they dont make power. Its how its made. Who wants a GT3076 with GT35R spool up characteristics that makes less power than a 50trim?

I think smokinjoe is going to be disappointed. His car had great numbers with the stock turbo...I think 380whp/380wtq. I hope my car performs like that when I get it back together. I believe he is going to sacrifice torque for maybe 25 more hp. This is all conjecture at this point. Maybe his port matching will do the trick. It certainly looks good.

Smokin....can you please post a pic of the hotside with a side view? The only one I can find on ATP's site is this one.
Attached Thumbnails ATP GT3076R - Impressions-atp-kit.jpg  

Quick Reply: ATP GT3076R - Impressions