Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My new IX MPFab Front Mount - PICS

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2006 | 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what gains do you expect from this?
Old Sep 12, 2006 | 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 316 Likes on 248 Posts
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe
Cost???
It was ~$900 installed and works with the stock piping. It is a substantial amount of work and there is little fudge room. I also like that it required no triming or cutting and the stock undertray fit with no clearance issues. I saw the post on the XS Power core and he had to cut a hole in the undertray. BTW, the intercooler is designed to work with the stock OEM piping.

We had to make some minor mods to my Turbohoses.Com kit to make it work. This kit used difference hoses than stock so the piping was placed much closer to the core.

Last edited by 240Z TwinTurbo; Sep 12, 2006 at 06:08 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2006 | 06:12 AM
Evolving Member

Nice!

Anderson? I go to Clemson, but I am currently in Asheville co-oping. Check out our website (www.clemsonscc.com , maybe you have heard of us, maybe you haven't). We host our own autocrosses, although we are currently searching for a new lot, and we attend all NASA-SE track events, along with some others.

Devin
Old Sep 12, 2006 | 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SophieSleeps
The most gains will be seen when the ecu is reflashed after my exhaust is done. A larger efficient core will enable you to run more timing and boost on pump gas. I played around with cores on my old Z and saw some interesting results. BTW, all numbers below were on pump gas. I also posted some pics below.

Starion core - 14psi max before detonation (~22deg)
Large Bell core (27x8x3- top-bottom flow) - 19psi max (~20deg)
Monster Core (20x6x5.5 - top-bottom flow) - 18psi max (26 deg)
Last core I had (24x12x3.5 - top-bottom flow) 18psi max (22 deg)

I always advocate a large and efficient core even if it is rated for more than you plan to use. I also saw no decrease in spool.

Large Bell core

Monster Core(5.5" thick)

Last core I had(disregard the nitrous backfire)
Old Sep 12, 2006 | 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

BTW, this is the same core that I used when I fabricated my buddies IC for his 2JZ powered 240Z. BTW, the car has gone 9.4@142 and 9.5@146.

Here is in car video of the 9.4second pass.
9.4@142 Pass

Old Sep 12, 2006 | 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Slightly off topic...How do you like the Turbohoses.com pipes? How's the fit/finish? Clearance around the airbox? Would you use them again?
Old Sep 12, 2006 | 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Forgive my newbie-ness
But how inefficient is the stock IC?
And instead of buying a thicker/larger IC, why not spray meth or alcohol or something?

2JZ kicks ***!
Old Sep 12, 2006 | 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Forgive my newbie-ness
But how inefficient is the stock IC?
I have no numbers, but there is no way it can come close to the efficiency and flow capacity of the core that I used. Individual tubes are much smaller so they are more restrictive, less surface area means(apples vs. apples) lower efficiency, and decreased thickness means less flow (apples vs. apples) and potentially less efficiency.

And instead of buying a thicker/larger IC, why not spray meth or alcohol or something?
You will get much lower intake temps with Meth and will be able to run more boost so it has a definite advantage over the intercoolers ability to lower intake temps. For higher boost applications the OEM core will have a higher pressure drop which can take you out of the efficiency range of the compressor wheel. On my buddies GN powered 240Z using an NPR core he saw 8+psi pressure drop at 24psi of boost which meant his turbo was kicking out 32psi to make 24psi at the manifold. NOT GOOD!

So to answer your question, I think Meth and stock intercooler will get much better results than an intercooler upgrade. This is due to lower intake temps and the ability to run much higher boost levels.
Old Sep 12, 2006 | 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WhiteEvo05
Slightly off topic...How do you like the Turbohoses.com pipes? How's the fit/finish? Clearance around the airbox? Would you use them again?
Fit and finish was just fine and there were no clearance issues with the UICP and the airbox. I did not want to relocate my battery so his setup worked out well. The LICP was designed for the VIII so it did not fit my IX without modifications. I knew this upfront so I was not concerned. The kit came with the custom hoses, clamps, and pipes with beaded ends. And to answer your question I would use them again.
Old Sep 12, 2006 | 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo
For higher boost applications the OEM core will have a higher pressure drop which can take you out of the efficiency range of the compressor wheel. On my buddies GN powered 240Z using an NPR core he saw 8+psi pressure drop at 24psi of boost which meant his turbo was kicking out 32psi to make 24psi at the manifold. NOT GOOD
Did you mean the other (aftermarket) IC will cause a pressure drop?
8PSI is a ton.

And your friend's 240. Was he measuring boost out of the compressor housing and post IC somewhere? I haven't seen too many people do that and compare.
Old Sep 12, 2006 | 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Did you mean the other (aftermarket) IC will cause a pressure drop?
8PSI is a ton.

And your friend's 240. Was he measuring boost out of the compressor housing and post IC somewhere? I haven't seen too many people do that and compare.
The Garrett core is rated at 900hp(~1350cfm) with 1psi pressure drop. This will provide less of a restriction as opposed to the stock OEM core. I would be curious to see if anyone has measured this on the stock core at stock boost levels. I can take a measurement on my setup this weekend by tapping into the wastegate line.

BTW, I dug up my buddies old post regarding the NPR core, which is larger than the OEM EVO core.

"An example of this is when I hit the limit on the Big NPR. I ran into a brick wall at about 400rwhp. The car was performing "OK" but had some strange problems, like not being able to run more than 20psi and more detonation than I liked. turns out at 20psi at the intake, the turbo was pushing 30psi and 325* charge!!"
Old Sep 12, 2006 | 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo
The Garrett core is rated at 900hp(~1350cfm) with 1psi pressure drop. This will provide less of a restriction as opposed to the stock OEM core. I would be curious to see if anyone has measured this on the stock core at stock boost levels. I can take a measurement on my setup this weekend by tapping into the wastegate line.

BTW, I dug up my buddies old post regarding the NPR core, which is larger than the OEM EVO core.

"An example of this is when I hit the limit on the Big NPR. I ran into a brick wall at about 400rwhp. The car was performing "OK" but had some strange problems, like not being able to run more than 20psi and more detonation than I liked. turns out at 20psi at the intake, the turbo was pushing 30psi and 325* charge!!"
Damn.
Sure there wasn't something else wrong too? maybe a small boost leak or something. That's rough.
Old Sep 12, 2006 | 10:23 AM

take off the bumper support its totally unnecessary and it looks better
my .02
Old Sep 12, 2006 | 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WhiteEvo05
How's the fit/finish? Clearance around the airbox?

Last edited by 240Z TwinTurbo; Sep 12, 2006 at 07:53 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2006 | 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Everything I've ever saw that was fabricated by Walker has always been top notch and very high quality. He does awesome work..

Quick Reply: My new IX MPFab Front Mount - PICS