Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

A little too much oil.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2006, 11:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just change the oil filter if you feel it is a concern. that should balance out the oil level.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 05:48 AM

How do you drain the oil cooler and where is it?
Old Sep 12, 2006, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MooneyDriver
How do you drain the oil cooler and where is it?

Oil cooler is behind the front bumper and does not need to be drained.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
a little over fill is fine, the oil pump doesn't work any harder or anything. most racer will over fill the oil to reduce change of oil starvation during hard cornering. if anything, you might lose a tiny amount of power if too much oil splash onto the crank. i always fill up to the Max mark or a little over.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Ive been told by 2 differnt people, (forget 1) that overfilling is very very bad. My brother who is a Toyota tech (and has every ASE) said he learned in some training course that overfilling can be just as bad as having a little under what youre suppose to. Too much oil pressure can potentially rupture the oil filter or even blow out pressed-in oil galley plugs in the block.

I remember saying make sure YOU DONT OVERFILL!

Im sure however .3 of a quart is no big deal but anything more, ID drain.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"a little under what your supposed to" would be under the first notch on the dip stick then. Having right under the MAX mark would be fine.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

it is not an issue of too much oil pressure. Over filling can cause the crank to splash the oil around causing aeration in the oil. Little bubbles form in the oil and can destroy the bearings.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tony gibson
Mine doesn't burn a drop bewteen changes ....
does any regularly have to add a half to full quart after 2k-2.5k miles? I know I do as well as some of my friends and others in the area I've talked to . . . who's eveo doesn't sip a lil oil?
Old Sep 12, 2006, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
oil pressure doesn't go any higher once oil level is pass the full mark. oil pressure is relative to engine speed (as long as there is enough oil to keep the pick up line submerged) and not how much oil is in the engine. you only have to worry about the oil pump if you're going to increase your redline. half a quart over fill is fine but 2-3 quart is no good. if you're that worry about it, just drain a little out, it's going to be messy though.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Duby
does any regularly have to add a half to full quart after 2k-2.5k miles? I know I do as well as some of my friends and others in the area I've talked to . . . who's eveo doesn't sip a lil oil?
I'm with Tony. I don't burn any oil either between changes. I guess it matters how well broken in your motor/rings are, but that's a whole other story.

As far as this topic goes, I also never use over 4.5 qts per change. You should never fill your oil past the max mark....it's a max mark for a reason. And when you check your oil, don't check it right after a drive, check it after the car is cool, so most of the oil has had a chance to drain back to the pan. I never exactly measure how much oil I am putting in...I always use the dipstick. Since I use the 5 quart jug of Mobil-1, I'm usually left with about a half a quart or so.

Overfilling can cause aeration, which in turn provides no protection to the metal surfaces that the oil is trying to protect. ie bearing, etc.

Eric
Old Sep 12, 2006, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

I dont burn a drop either.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mines still burning a little bit.. I only have 4K on it. I remember my 03 ate a little bit until 10k for some reason then it stopped.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Duby
My stock turbo had a bit more shaft play when the car was brand new than I would have liked. It didn't burn any oil through the 1000 mile break-in but started to burn a little afterward. When I replaced the stock turbo the oil burning completely went away. Not sure if this would be the case for you but is possible because it happened to me.

Tom
Old Jan 8, 2007, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Danny23
i always put the whole 5 qrts. in. did it in my 03 and do it on my IX. you have nothing to worry about. A little more is better than a little less!
I've heard of a lot of members filling up to 5 quarts. Wouldn't that push it way past maximum of the dipstick?
Old Jan 8, 2007, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my 03 take 5 quarts every time to get to the second part of the dip stock

well actually after filling the filter with oil the car take about 4.8 to get to the top of the dip stick. but i just put the whole 5 quarts in and its like .05mm above the second notch on the dip stick

Last edited by riceball777; Jan 8, 2007 at 11:36 PM.

Quick Reply: A little too much oil.