Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Failed knock sensor?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2006, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Failed knock sensor?

I'm worried that my knock sensor has failed just because I haven't had any timing retard/CEL flashing in a long time--I have a UTEC, and the UTEC flashes the CEL and is set to heavily retard timing after 2 counts of knock.

Thing is, I've been mixing 104 octane with 91, at a minimum of 25% 104, 75% 91, so I'd expect a lot less knock.

How can I test/check my knock sensor? I tried logging at idle while hitting the engine in various places with a wrench--mostly on the back engine lift hook, which I hit pretty hard. It logged no knock.

Any suggestions?
Old Sep 14, 2006, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well if you have the Utec, you should have gotten the Tuner Pro. It has it's own knock sensor, plus an outlet to plug headphones in to listen for knock. If the Tuner Pro picks up knock but your stock knock gauge doesn't, I'd replace the stocker.

What type of timing are you running at peak torque? 8 degrees is pretty safe, so if you're running around 8 degrees or less, I wouldn't expect you to knock at all on the gas mixture you're running, even with around 22-23#'s of boost.

Or, you can add about 10 degrees of timing, and see what happens???? Just kidding..... What does RNR say? You're running a built motor from them, they should be able to tell you if you're knocking or not.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I'm still wondering how I can test the stock knock sensor without going to the dealer.

TurboXS told me themselves that I'd be better off getting the knocklite tha getting the Tuner Pro. The knocklite with its self calibrating feature reads knock better than the knock sensor on the Tuner Pro, and they said tuning with headphones is not something many people would ever do.