Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

XS Power TBE --> Pics, Video, Review

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2007, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
I have this exhaust at our shop right now, I bought one from Ebay. Planning on testing it. I'd be a fool to endorse it so don't expect me too. One thing I can tell you is it is HEAVY compared to ours, but then again ours is the lightest. It does look good, it shiney, big deal in 100 miles it will be covered in the same road grime as any other, it doesn't fit with the ACD.

Also, if you think it takes no work to make a 3" exhaust work you are highly mistaken. We've been through atleast 4-5 muffler changes to find one that keeps working better and provides sufficient muffling.

nice!

mine was 33 pounds (no box) 58lbs stock exhaust on my 03

I know yours is light
Old Jan 7, 2007, 03:09 AM

i have the ebay exhaust, fits my car fine and isnt that loud. although i DD a 01 mustang gt with an offroad x-pipe and dumped flowmasters. but even in cali with no cat i have never gotten a 2nd look from the fuzz. i have never dynoed my car so i dont know about any power differences, but the difference between ebay and others cant be much, the whole turbo back only has like 3 bends in it and the muffler is straight through.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yeah it seems to be a crap shoot if it fits the 06 Evo or not. Some owners say it does, others say it doesn't. And for what it's worth Dave, I have owned three of your BR racing Exhaust for my old 2003 Evo, not one fit right. Of coruse you were man enough to not only take it back but send me a new on on yoru dime twice, you even called me from your house of all things, AMAZING customer service, but it simply never fit right, the DP especially, and I had to hack the cat back to make it fit. After the third time it still rattled slighly at idle andc I didn't have theheart to call you back.

This thing is CHEAP, and if you have to bang it to make it work, so what.

Yours was VERY light but in terms of fitment, I have yet to get one that fit properly. I don't mind working with a $300 Shipped exhaust, I do with an $850 exhaust.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

I purchased the ebay exhaust identical to the one that is on page one, minus the delete cat(test pipe). I installed the cat back section myself, and no fitment issues at alll. I had to drive around for about a week with the cat back and stock downpipe still on until i could find a lift to do the downpipe. Today i was able to borrow a lift for the downpipe install. I took out the stock downpipe, and noticed that grey thick o-ring that mounts on the bottom of the turbo to the top of the downpipe was larger than the one that came with the downpipe. So i had to use the stock ring and mount to the downpipe.....fitment was not as snug when i put in in the downpipe tube but it did kinda recess in alittle. I tightened the downpipe as much as i could to the turbo hope its seal is good. The rest of the fitment was fine, doesnt hit the ACD,and mounts fine to the stock cat. Has anyone else had this similar find where the ebay downpipe comes with a smaller grey o-ring than the stock one? I cant tell any power diff yet. thanks for any info
Old Jan 7, 2007, 06:40 PM
Former Sponsor

You can't tell any difference with a full tbe?
Old Jan 7, 2007, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

I have this exhaust at our shop right now, I bought one from Ebay. Planning on testing it. I'd be a fool to endorse it so don't expect me too. One thing I can tell you is it is HEAVY compared to ours, but then again ours is the lightest. It does look good, it shiney, big deal in 100 miles it will be covered in the same road grime as any other, it doesn't fit with the ACD.

Also, if you think it takes no work to make a 3" exhaust work you are highly mistaken. We've been through atleast 4-5 muffler changes to find one that keeps working better and provides sufficient muffling.

"I'd be a fool to endorse it"

Maybe so, but if you're gunna do a test do it right and don't skew the results to promote your exhaust.

The entire purpose of my original thread was to educate members to what I think is a good deal, $300 for a full TBE. The goal was never to start a war or bash any other exhausts.

I think it is entirely in your right, and strategically a good move to compare the two exhausts. We've been waiting for a vendor to "put their money where their mouth is" and explain why we should pay $500 more. Hopefully you will provide accurate and untampered results.

Also please don't say the ebay TBE doesn't fit with the ACD. I have a 2006 MR with an ACD and mine fits. In fact it bolted up before I even had to hammer it, except it was rubbing a little bit. I hammered it in and it drives wonderfully now. The rattle against a heat shield bracket was fixed in 3 minutes too.

Not trying to start a flame war here, but it sounds like your exhaust has had some fitment issues too. Vendor competition is fine but I would hate to see this thread lose its purpose and get filled with biased and uneducated slander that it seems many people like to let loose.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 07:47 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DreamLike1
Also please don't say the ebay TBE doesn't fit with the ACD. I have a 2006 MR with an ACD and mine fits. In fact it bolted up before I even had to hammer it, except it was rubbing a little bit. I hammered it in and it drives wonderfully now. The rattle against a heat shield bracket was fixed in 3 minutes too.
Beat it to fit, paint it to match! I agree with you 100% saying that something doesn't fit just because it hits against part of the drivetrain. I mean sure you only had to hammer it a little so it would stop making contact with your drivetrain. ridickerous to say that it didn't fit!
Old Jan 7, 2007, 08:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Joe's_EVO8
You can't tell any difference with a full tbe?
Well i can feel a slight power shift in the throttle response, other than that no.......as i think the problem lies with the stock intake.......since it was flashed for HKS SRI. My question is to those who bought the Ebay TBE system: Did the grey factory Oring that hooks up from the turbo bottom port match the dimensions of the grey Oring the Ebay exhaust came with? The stock ring is slighter larger in diameter than the aftermarket ring. I just used the stock one. Your experiences would be helpfull thanks,
PR
Old Jan 8, 2007, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Haha, that's humurous, it fit AFTER you beat a dent in it with a hammer. Sir, that means that the exhaust DOES NOT fit. You had to dent it with a hammer and THEN it fit.

As for our exhausts not fitting. I guarantee you will not have ANY Problems what-so-ever on any EVO8-9 with our exhaust fitting now. It will not hit, rub, rattle or anything else.

You ask how to justify a $500 difference in price between the Ebay and say ours. Well to start, for me, it gets easy as I believe in using the lightest parts that I can. Our turbo back weighing 24 pounds is a great start, it is the lightest available. Second it would be easy for me to support a vendor that spends so much time testing things and providing information to the EVO community. I don't see the Chinese guy making those $300 systems on here helping anyone. Third, you don't have to dent ours with a hammer to make it fit. Fourth, ours comes with the spacers for the tie bars and YOUR EBAY EXHAUST WILL NEED SPACERS, if it doesn't the day you get it, it will in time.

I won't speak further about it as I don't have any power comparisons.

No matter how you look at it, you get what you pay for in the end.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

buschur is the best!!!
Old Jan 8, 2007, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

YOUR EBAY EXHAUST WILL NEED SPACERS, if it doesn't the day you get it, it will in time.

No matter how you look at it, you get what you pay for in the end.
not trying to flame, i have bought many parts from buschur for my old talon and have great respect for thier parts

as for the spacers i ran this exhaust for around 4500 miles then sold it to someone in AZ who is still using it today, i never needed spacers and niether has 4 other people with IX's that i know personally that have had this exhaust almost a year.

as for getting what you pay for, i agree with you but i have never paid $850 for an exhaust, hell i had 5" turbo back on my truck and it only ran like 600 ish from a banks power dealer. i just cant see spending that kind of money on pipe, a can, a few flanges and welds
Old Jan 8, 2007, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Neuspeed06
I purchased the ebay exhaust identical to the one that is on page one, minus the delete cat(test pipe). I installed the cat back section myself, and no fitment issues at alll. I had to drive around for about a week with the cat back and stock downpipe still on until i could find a lift to do the downpipe. Today i was able to borrow a lift for the downpipe install. I took out the stock downpipe, and noticed that grey thick o-ring that mounts on the bottom of the turbo to the top of the downpipe was larger than the one that came with the downpipe. So i had to use the stock ring and mount to the downpipe.....fitment was not as snug when i put in in the downpipe tube but it did kinda recess in alittle. I tightened the downpipe as much as i could to the turbo hope its seal is good. The rest of the fitment was fine, doesnt hit the ACD,and mounts fine to the stock cat. Has anyone else had this similar find where the ebay downpipe comes with a smaller grey o-ring than the stock one? I cant tell any power diff yet. thanks for any info
Mine came with that crappy gasket as well. I got a new OEM one from mitsu and threw the one that came with it in the trash.

Originally Posted by HIPSI9
not trying to flame, i have bought many parts from buschur for my old talon and have great respect for thier parts

as for the spacers i ran this exhaust for around 4500 miles then sold it to someone in AZ who is still using it today, i never needed spacers and niether has 4 other people with IX's that i know personally that have had this exhaust almost a year.

as for getting what you pay for, i agree with you but i have never paid $850 for an exhaust, hell i had 5" turbo back on my truck and it only ran like 600 ish from a banks power dealer. i just cant see spending that kind of money on pipe, a can, a few flanges and welds
Exactlly, while BR may provide excellent customer service and many quality parts I also could not justify spending more that 600 for a full TBE and found just want I needed for under 300 shipped. Now I had to spend a little time with my hammer and the exhaust but for 300 shipped I had zero complaints in doing so. Now if I had paid 600-1000 I would have been irate as for that amount of money it better FIT PERFECTLLY, NO ANDS, IFS, OR BUTS.

With all the talk of other vendors DP's not fitting right or being off I was definiatlly out zero dollars if the ebay DP did not fit cause I still got an entire cat-back for less then most other cat backs out there on the market and would only have to find a DP that fit.

Definitely no spacers needed here either and have 2K on it.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 01:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Ok even if you built an exhaust yourself it would cost more in parts than the Ebay exhaust. I am speaking quality parts also, not some alumunized none stainless junk that will rust after a year on your car. You get what you pay for.

The Magnaflow muffler at my cost that was used in the BR exhaust was $143 + shipping, the tip was another $38. A good stainless 3" flange will set you back at least $10-15. The stainless straight pipe may be gotten for say $60-80, and the bends involved would cost you at least another $100. Plus the special flange for the O2 was oing to cost me $25. Then I found a reputable shop to weld all of this stuff up one off for $200. Add all of this up and you are at least $600, and that is getting things at cost. And then you have to take the time out of your week and go to a shop and have it all done and then HOPE that it all meshes together happily.

At this rate the BR product looks really damn good. I feel in no way shape bad about paying the little premium for their product. Considering it is among the lighest out there and makes A LOT of power I mean seriously, you have trouble finding a better exhaust.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Pr3z
Mine came with that crappy gasket as well. I got a new OEM one from mitsu and threw the one that came with it in the trash.
I did the same, i threw the grey donut gasket away that the ebay exhaust came with, since the diameter of the hole did not fit the bottom of the exhaust manifold. So i just used the stock donut. However, the stock donut didnt fit well in the ebay downpipe hole. So i just mounted it as straight as i could, and tightend it to 22psi. I dont think i hear any exhaust leaks, whats the best way to check?
Old Jan 8, 2007, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Neuspeed06
I did the same, i threw the grey donut gasket away that the ebay exhaust came with, since the diameter of the hole did not fit the bottom of the exhaust manifold. So i just used the stock donut. However, the stock donut didnt fit well in the ebay downpipe hole. So i just mounted it as straight as i could, and tightend it to 22psi. I dont think i hear any exhaust leaks, whats the best way to check?
I believe it is 37FT-lbs of torque not PSI on the DP bolts. Double check that though.

Quick Reply: XS Power TBE --> Pics, Video, Review