Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Busted Crankshaft [Long w/ cliffnotes]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2006, 05:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would just order a built block from AMS or something and just slap that in.

get it over with quickly and get your car back on the road!

then you can always sell your block etc as parts/spares.
or...
you can take your time..and as the money comes in, build back this engine on the ground and then sell it off.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

Wow... based on all the information I just got it really makes me double guess what I have DTM doing... They have been doing numerous evos according to them, and they have an extremely high rep on DC Evo Club... I know they are fairly new to the club, but in terms of their experience with evo's, they've been doing them apparently at least as long as the VIII's have been available in US spec.

They had just finished 3 stroker motors before I came in (of course, this is all word of mouth but i trust his words), and they were working on a 2.4 IX that was still using the MIVEC block when i was there.

Do I know that they have these qualifications? Heck no... Do they claim to have the qualifications? Well yeah, they do. At this point there was discrepency with my payment so they probably won't start working on my car for another couple days, but if I can find an "as is" buyer before then, or if I realize there's a better way to go about this, ie. get a built block from another company (buschur, ams, etc.) to do the work on my block, then I may have to consider it as well.

I will restate again, though, that no matter what, the Evo is getting sold. period. I have no intention of keeping the car not only because of the problems that I've been having with it (most if not all are NOT because of the car itself, but most probably because I didn't know enough about the mods I did when i was getting them put in, and I will admit to that), but also because I need a car that I can travel to and from TN from here (MD) repeatedly and I don't wanna put those kinda miles on my evo.

Also, no, I did not have the car reflashed. The ECU is a virgin, bonestock. That was probably one of my first mistakes as with the intake + the fuel pump, I definitely should have gotten a tune.

Again, thank you all so much for your input. This is really helping me out. I don't think i'll stop hangin around here even after I get rid of my evo. Environment is too good to let go >;]

Jonathan
Old Sep 26, 2006, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lbcevo
Are these your only mods?:

HKS 30th Anniversary Hi-Power Exhaust
HKS RS Intake
Ultimate Racing Test Pipe
Megan Racing Downpipe
Walbro Fuel Pump
Hallman Pro MBC
Clutch Restrictor Removed
SS Clutch Line

If so, that should cost you about $50 to return to stock. Install a new crank and main/rod bearings (in car installation) for maybe $1500 total. $5000?! You're gettting reamed!
sry, ya, those're the only mods i have. didnt mean to take forever to respond to that ;]
Old Sep 27, 2006, 01:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
there are lots of people with evo motors lying around cuz they all either get strokers and keep their old block cuz they got a complete package or they got a 2.4 and kept their block becuase they got a complete package.

but you don't need a new engine... you need someone who knows what they're talkin' about... why would he recommend you to get a new engine instead of fixing the thing? i'm sure a drop in affair would be easier but **** you're losing a lotta money by doin' that... and lemme guess... he'll take care of the old block for you????
Old Sep 27, 2006, 01:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by eLiTe eVo
Wow... based on all the information I just got it really makes me double guess what I have DTM doing... They have been doing numerous evos according to them, and they have an extremely high rep on DC Evo Club... I know they are fairly new to the club, but in terms of their experience with evo's, they've been doing them apparently at least as long as the VIII's have been available in US spec.

They had just finished 3 stroker motors before I came in (of course, this is all word of mouth but i trust his words), and they were working on a 2.4 IX that was still using the MIVEC block when i was there.

Do I know that they have these qualifications? Heck no... Do they claim to have the qualifications? Well yeah, they do. At this point there was discrepency with my payment so they probably won't start working on my car for another couple days, but if I can find an "as is" buyer before then, or if I realize there's a better way to go about this, ie. get a built block from another company (buschur, ams, etc.) to do the work on my block, then I may have to consider it as well.

I will restate again, though, that no matter what, the Evo is getting sold. period. I have no intention of keeping the car not only because of the problems that I've been having with it (most if not all are NOT because of the car itself, but most probably because I didn't know enough about the mods I did when i was getting them put in, and I will admit to that), but also because I need a car that I can travel to and from TN from here (MD) repeatedly and I don't wanna put those kinda miles on my evo.

Also, no, I did not have the car reflashed. The ECU is a virgin, bonestock. That was probably one of my first mistakes as with the intake + the fuel pump, I definitely should have gotten a tune.

Again, thank you all so much for your input. This is really helping me out. I don't think i'll stop hangin around here even after I get rid of my evo. Environment is too good to let go >;]

Jonathan
isn't dtm where that questionable person that brought a lot of evom drama and allegedly screwed over a lot of people works at?
Old Oct 3, 2006, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

DTM and the Rod Bearing

EVO M members,

I have been reading your posts about his subject matter. I understand your concern about Johnathan's engine. He has two bad rod bearings and the motor is knocking pretty bad under load. We have clearly analyzed his engine thoroughly and we found his motor oil to contain a good amount of gasoline in it with the oil at a water like viscosity.

Johnathan indicated to me early on that he did not flash his car when he put his Walboro in over a year ago. We put the car on the dyno and found his A/F ratios to be very rich 9.8:1 under light load. We did not want to risk causing anymore damage to the motor at that point and proceeded to take the oil pan off for further analysis.

1. The crank is fine and not bent. It is scarred and needs to be turned with oversized bearings
2. He has two bad spun rod bearings.
3. His oil pump is fine and holding pressure but there was a lot of metal in the oil pan so you can assume the pump will not last much longer with metal fragments.

The quote we gave him was a very reasonble quote. Up to this point no other shop in the area volunteered to help him out or come up with a better solution with this job. We took on the challenge to get this customer back on the road the right way. The only right thing to do is to rebuild the motor back to stock, put the stock fuel pump in so he can sell it and move on. Whether or not he keeps it, stroke it, sells, or gets another vehicle is really up to him. He has clearly indicated that he no longer wants to keep this car.

DTM is here just to fix the problem and send him on his way. I am not here to get into a long debate about fuel pumps and tuning. We are a professional shop with real overhead and we need to guarantee our work. If any of you have any negative comments please keep it to yourself. DTM has a spotless reputation with the DC EVO community since we have opened and we plan to keep it that way.

Here is a link to our DC EVO vendor forums and our satisfied customers(including the moderators). Please get your facts straight before you come up with your own theories.

http://forums.dcevoclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=113

If you have any futher comments or questions about DTM please PM me.

Thanks for your understanding
Michael Ko
DTM Motorsport
Old Oct 3, 2006, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by trinydex
isn't dtm where that questionable person that brought a lot of evom drama and allegedly screwed over a lot of people works at?

That wasn't nice. Please get your facts straight before you make such a negative comment next time.

Thanks
Michael
DTM Motorsport
Old Oct 3, 2006, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

uhm... as i read it i didn't cite any facts.. hence the alleged and questionable....
Old Oct 3, 2006, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by trinydex
uhm... as i read it i didn't cite any facts.. hence the alleged and questionable....

Exactly, so why make such a comment if it is baseless and from some third person? Keep the negative comments to yourself please

Michael
Old Oct 3, 2006, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Do you guys Do ECUFlash Tuning on the dyno?
EDIT: Sorry meant to be a PM

Last edited by whitey4d; Oct 3, 2006 at 08:22 PM.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cul8tr
EVO M members,

I have been reading your posts about his subject matter. I understand your concern about Johnathan's engine. He has two bad rod bearings and the motor is knocking pretty bad under load. We have clearly analyzed his engine thoroughly and we found his motor oil to contain a good amount of gasoline in it with the oil at a water like viscosity.

Johnathan indicated to me early on that he did not flash his car when he put his Walboro in over a year ago. We put the car on the dyno and found his A/F ratios to be very rich 9.8:1 under light load. We did not want to risk causing anymore damage to the motor at that point and proceeded to take the oil pan off for further analysis.
So let me get this straight. A customer brings a car to you with two badly damaged rod bearings, and your method of diagnosis is to put it on the dyno and run it?

1. The crank is fine and not bent. It is scarred and needs to be turned with oversized bearings
2. He has two bad spun rod bearings.
3. His oil pump is fine and holding pressure but there was a lot of metal in the oil pan so you can assume the pump will not last much longer with metal fragments.
Your shop would recommend the "right way" of repairing a motor with two badly spun rod bearings as turning a crank (undersize) with and using oversize bearings to repair the damage? Did you tell the customer that the factory service manual specifically states that this is not an approved method to use?
What do you propose to do about the metal shavings in the rest of the motor oil passages and in the turbo?

The quote we gave him was a very reasonble quote. Up to this point no other shop in the area volunteered to help him out or come up with a better solution with this job. We took on the challenge to get this customer back on the road the right way. The only right thing to do is to rebuild the motor back to stock, put the stock fuel pump in so he can sell it and move on. Whether or not he keeps it, stroke it, sells, or gets another vehicle is really up to him. He has clearly indicated that he no longer wants to keep this car.

Thanks for your understanding
Michael Ko
DTM Motorsport
Old Oct 4, 2006, 07:27 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 11secEVO7
you can buy a crank for about $700 i think
I have new OEM cranks for $599.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 07:38 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by CO_VR4
So let me get this straight. A customer brings a car to you with two badly damaged rod bearings, and your method of diagnosis is to put it on the dyno and run it?

Your shop would recommend the "right way" of repairing a motor with two badly spun rod bearings as turning a crank (undersize) with and using oversize bearings to repair the damage? Did you tell the customer that the factory service manual specifically states that this is not an approved method to use?
What do you propose to do about the metal shavings in the rest of the motor oil passages and in the turbo?
Cranks are cheap enough. There is no reason to have to turn a crank with questionable bearing clearances.

Did you think that the knocking from the spun bearings you forced on the dyno would have been setting off the knock sensor, forcing the car into low octane maps and richening the mixture?

Should have analyzed the oil.

It would have been fun to throw 2 rods through a customer's block on the dyno.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

This is what happens when you push it to the limits.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 09:04 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by jmartinez1170
This is what happens when you push it to the limits.
Push what to the limits? 19psi on a stock turbo?

Quick Reply: Busted Crankshaft [Long w/ cliffnotes]