Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Busted Crankshaft [Long w/ cliffnotes]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2006, 06:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy * UPDATE *Busted Crankshaft [Long w/ cliffnotes]

* UPDATE *
I have decided that I am going to sell the evo i have been contacted by a shop that's goina do all the work to get it back to stock.. probly run me about 5k or more, and then ima sell my baby ;[ but ill be in the market for another car, not an evo... not sure what yet. anyway, afterwards ima just sell it to Carmax as ive heard that's the best thing to do with a car that's been through what mine has. any private buyer would probably try to low ball me because of the damage the car's gone through. Carmax most probably wont even ask. any suggestions? advice?
--------------------------------------------

Long story short:
i bent my crankshaft and was told to get a brand new engine. i dont wanna keep the car even when i do fix it. should i buy a new engine, buy an engine from a totaled evo (probly hard to find, or impossible to find out here), sell the car as is. suggestions?

Long Story:

i was doin hard 2nd gear pulls when it felt like my turbo gave up (meaning the car still ran fine until i got to where i shouldve started spooling, but when my turbo should've started pulling there wasn't any pull). i knew i didnt blow the turbo cause the boost gauge still went up to 20 psi and held steady, but like i said there was no physical response of the car actually pulling 20 psi. i pulled over, tightened all my hoses, and started driving again. everything was fine, turbo pulling and all. shortly after, maybe within the next 20 minutes, same problem, but then........... KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNCOK

it wasn't loud at first and it was extremely inconsistent. sometimes i could hear it, sometimes i couldnt, and it was only when i had at least partial throttle, not idle. and this is definitely where i made my mistake.

i tried to drive the car to my buddy's shop so he could diagnose the car, but it died 1/2 way there. by died, i mean the knocking got really loud while i was on the beltway (yes, i know now that i shouldve towed it. call me a newb, call me whatever u will, but what's done is done so plz refrain from the flames), and then oil light came on for a split second (yikes) and the car stalled out. i tried startin it again and it had a REALLY hard time turning over, so i shut it off and got it towed to a family friend's house who works at pep boys.

he found a broken barring which he replaced, and put the block back together. he said, though, that apparently when he put the new barring on, it was too tight for the engine because the crankshaft itself was bent. maybe im explaining it wrong because i dont know all about engines, but im just trying to repeat what i was told.

SO this is where i stand. he said itd be pointless to replace the crank and i should get a new engine, either from a totaled evo (preferably from being rear ended or hit from the side rather than the front, of course), buy a brand new engine, or just sell the car as a shell or whatever, maybe piece it out, whatever i dont know.

HELP ME!! what should i do?!? i dont wanna spend thousands, but i dont wanna sell it as is and lose thousands either. what would my best bet be. replace it with a stocker and sell it? im pretty sure i dont wanna keep the car even if i get it back to mint condition (as close as i can). so i wanna find out what my best bet is in this situation.

Sorry for the long post...

Please refrain from giving me "you should've" advice because what's done is done. i kno there's a million and one things i shouldve done, but i didnt. so i m where im at. thanks in advance.

Jonathan

Last edited by eLiTe eVo; Sep 20, 2006 at 11:11 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you didn't bend the crankshaft... sounds like you spun a rod bearing. You will need to get the crank machined or get a new one, a new rod and if the rod was bent you will need to machine the block as well. Basically you need to get the engine out of car so you can open her up and see the damage.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 06:38 AM
Evolving Member

def replace the engine before you sell it. If you try it sell it without a engine your going to get low balled to death. How much do you still owe on the car?
Old Sep 18, 2006, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

2.3 ltr stroker time....if you know someone that will do the labor for free it should not cost you more than $2500
Old Sep 18, 2006, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

ok...I am also assuming that you are out of warranty....because if you are not, i would say take it back the dealer.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 06:17 AM
Evolving Member

Update

decided yesterday that the best thing for me to do at this point would be just to sell the car. NOW what i need is advice on what route i should go about to do this. replace whatever is busted and throw stock stuff back on to sell it right? cause selling it as is would definitely throw me in a hole financially if im not wrong. any input is appreciated!
Old Sep 19, 2006, 06:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Markourn
def replace the engine before you sell it. If you try it sell it without a engine your going to get low balled to death. How much do you still owe on the car?
paid off
Old Sep 19, 2006, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

you can buy a crank for about $700 i think
Old Sep 20, 2006, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

a shop gotta hold of me and said they have everything ima need to get the car back to stock. itll probly be about $5000, give or take a thousand here and there... anyway, ima sell the car as soon as i fix it anyway so ill just use that money against whatever it costs to fix it, and then ima be in the market to get something else.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

replace the bearing to get the knock to go away and trade that sucker in...
Old Sep 20, 2006, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

I have a used crank shaft from an 03 motor out of a car that was totalled with 10,000 miles on it. Crank is perfect.
500.00 shipped.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

Are these your only mods?:

HKS 30th Anniversary Hi-Power Exhaust
HKS RS Intake
Ultimate Racing Test Pipe
Megan Racing Downpipe
Walbro Fuel Pump
Hallman Pro MBC
Clutch Restrictor Removed
SS Clutch Line

If so, that should cost you about $50 to return to stock. Install a new crank and main/rod bearings (in car installation) for maybe $1500 total. $5000?! You're gettting reamed!
Old Sep 20, 2006, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Sell it the way it is. Why pour five thousand into the car, when you will never be able to recoup. You can still get about 15k for an evo with no motor. Check your PM.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

another thing......a good tech would have saw the damage and disassembled the bottom end and inspected the damage as to why the bearing failed. You need to know why, especially with your mods. Was the cars oil checked regularly? bending a crank usually happens when 1. When timing has been switched up....2. piston breaks, wedges itself between the bottom of the cylinder and the crank shaft weight.
Bending a crank shaft without throwing a rod isnt common. Also have the rods checked for stretch or bends.
I also have some stock rods and pistons I can send as well. I am a Master A.S.E. certified Tech. If you have some questions, I will help as best as I can....kinda hard to diagnosis a problem with the problem in front of me...but it sounds like yur getting ripped off!
Old Sep 20, 2006, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Engines can be repaired! Dont lose out if you dont have to!

Quick Reply: Busted Crankshaft [Long w/ cliffnotes]