Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Wiring Harness Update

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2003, 01:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
For a wiring harness it makes no difference.. Its only the physical connection that is relevent.. and the harnesses made by field should have all 76 pins wired, their part number CN-04 is designed to work with many models of vehicles that share these connectors..

Now when your dealing with aftermarket ECU's.. You have to wait for a USDM ECU reprogram, Reprogrammer, Flash, or replacement.. Anything for the world market probably will not work as expected.
Old May 20, 2003, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any word on this harness? Has anyone tried it?
Old May 20, 2003, 10:54 PM
EvoM Guru

I got a bunch of sample parts.. They definitely fit.. However they neglected to send the contacts for the plugs, so I'm waiting on them to make my own. I haven't heard from Z1 Performance yet, so I assume they haven't gotten the Field harness yet.
Old May 21, 2003, 03:03 AM
In Timeout

wat the hell is this harness for!! harness to connect WAT??
Old May 21, 2003, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by ChillinEvoVIII
wat the hell is this harness for!! harness to connect WAT??

It is just a jumper harness for the cars ECU.. this allows us to splice wires into it without cutting on the factory harness.

-Zach
Old May 21, 2003, 09:32 AM

Count me in too!!
Any more news on when they are available?
Old May 21, 2003, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MalibuJack
I got a bunch of sample parts.. They definitely fit.. However they neglected to send the contacts for the plugs, so I'm waiting on them to make my own. I haven't heard from Z1 Performance yet, so I assume they haven't gotten the Field harness yet.
We do that type of stuff where I work. If you could send me one of them I'd see if we have those pins and the tool to insert them.... If so, I'd be happy to do them for you. PM me if you are interested in this.

Thanks,

Manuel
Old May 21, 2003, 09:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Well, thanks to you guys continued interest, and the lack of a viable Field harness (or any distributor getting them here in the USA) I decided to revive the wiring harness project.. I submitted a RFQ (request for Quote) to an electronics distributor for a quantity of parts to produce 100 harnesses.. I have not yet sourced an assembler, or priced the cost of wiring, solder, epoxy, and shrink tubing, but that is secondary.

I have not gotten the quote yet.. It looks like its a 2 month lead time anyway.. I also submitted an order (which may not get filled) for sample quantites of the contacts from two distributors who claim to have them in stock.. What does that mean, well, it means that I can build 3 harnesses from the sample parts and test to make sure they work, aren't prone to electrical noise, and aren't long enough to cause a problem with the electrical system on the car.

This is all obviously very encouraging.. I would like you guys to forward this info to ANY of the tuner shops who may need this item, and have been unsucessful getting the field stuff.. I really need to line up some quantity pre-orders to justify the costs in manufacturing these.

Again, it looks like the target price will be around $120, but I will set final price when I get back pricing from the assembler. Yes, I am aware that this price is steep, but once I actually have a real product in hand, It will be alot easier..
Old May 21, 2003, 09:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Just to show you guys my intent is genuine.. I'm attaching a photo of the part samples I received...
Attached Thumbnails Wiring Harness Update-ecu_conn_2.jpg  
Old May 21, 2003, 09:39 PM
EvoM Guru

One more image, a closeup of the ECU connector.. You can see in the first photo that there are only 2 of the ECU connectors, and 10 or so of the other parts.. The max samples they would send was 3 of those. Anyway, the third is in the process of being mocked up for assembly, the pins on the back are being trimmed, and wires are being soldered to it.
Attached Thumbnails Wiring Harness Update-ecu_conn_1.jpg  
Old May 21, 2003, 09:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Oh, and if your trying to match this to the wiring diagram in your S-AFC manual, I already compared it.. This photo shows the connector upside-down compared to the diagram in Apexi's manuals.

Again.. I would like to sell some of these in quantity to some tuner shops for resale.. This all hinges on how well or badly my current samples go, and the success of the RFQ and Assembler.

Initially I will put these online and you will be able to buy them using Pay-Pal, I honestly can't tell you how long this is going to take to get to this point.. But it looks like about 60-90 days. I hope you guys have patience.. hehe..
Old May 21, 2003, 10:35 PM

Malibu thanks for all the effort. I am interested as well. Let us know how the progress goes.
Old May 22, 2003, 12:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I WANT IN!

Give me a price and place to send the payment, I need this ASAP!
Old May 22, 2003, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, Jack, I think you should start making a list of people who are interested in this project you're doing. So you'll have a better idea on how many to make and how much to charge when you're ready. But Great job! and I'm so on board with THIS!!!!! THANKS so MUCH!