Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Supertech dual valve springs.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2006, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Supertech dual valve springs.

First of all I want to say hello to everyone in this forum cause this is my first post.Also please forgive if I make some mistakes but I'm a Greek guy and my English are not very good.
Well,I own an Evo 8 and recently I built the motor in order to to handle a gt42r turbo kit.My choice for the valve springs were the supertech dual valve springs which I bought from AMS along with some other things.I broke in the motor and everything seemed to be perfect.After the break in period my mechanic suggested to open the oil pan so we could check the rod bearings just to be sure that everything is fine.
When we took out the oil pan I almost had a heart attack!!The oil pan was full of extra-extra small metal particles!!We checked the bearings,the oil pump,the cylinders and everything was in perfect condition.We were wondering what could have cause this.
Finally after lots of thinking and checking things we decised to take the cylinder head out.It was the last thing to check cause the entire motor seemed to be perfect.When I dissasembled the head in order to check valves and valve guides I noticed that ALL the valve guide seals were scrached very hard from something.When my mechanic saw this he understood what had caused this thing!He measured the diameter of a new GENIUNE valve guide seal and the inner diameter of the inner spring and guess what,they were the same!!!The inner springs were scraching the valve guide seals when the motor was operating since there was no clearance between them.
I know,I should have checked this before installing these springs but I couldn't imagine that a set of valve springs that was designed for the Evo motor would cause this thing!!
Please,if any of you runs these springs and had simillar problems report it so I can know,is it only me with a faulty set of springs or not.And you that run them into your engines it would be good to check your oil pans.Just for insurance!
Old Sep 20, 2006, 07:31 AM

As far as I know you do not use OEM valve stem seals with the supertechs, the company that sold you these springs should be able to tell you which brands work.

If they can't you need to order up a few styles and find the smallest one that fits. OEM and felpro probably won't.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 09:52 AM

So guys,does anyone know what brand of valve guide seals I have to use?If someone knows pls tell me cause I have the head out of the car now.Thank you!
Old Oct 7, 2006, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
bump cause i wanna know this as well...my supertechs said to use valve seal part number vs-h6.6i and vs-h6.6e but those dont appear to be mitsu part numbers...any help would be awesome