Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Hks EVC help plz

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2006 | 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

did you ever reset the ECU?? sometimes you may have to do that to get your timing back into play if they messed with anything. the ecu will relearn and make better power. i would also do a boost leak check-just incase they decided to take it for a test drive and blew a hose off somewhere you didnt check. LIKE UNDER THE INTAKE MANIFOLD...there is a small hose that may pop off and you will loose boost there. check that one...
Old Oct 15, 2006 | 09:56 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

/\
|
Very true... Zip tie EVERY one of those lines on the intake mani as they will bring about some horrible gremlins when they start popping off and leaking.
Old Oct 20, 2006 | 05:57 AM

Seems the car hates me now ... I had a friend with EVO scan hook me up with a lil monitoring session yesterday, my car started acting up again and only hit 21.2 peak psi during the first run, i notched my EVC up 4 pts and all the damn thing did was increase to 21.4 (went from 70 to 74). Any ways.... we graphed timing, knock and rpm.

Seems that my car goes down in the load cells at 6500 rpm it went from 240 to about 200. This is the first time ive seen this kind of data so don't know much about it. The timing went up pretty high, it was at like 20 if i recall correctly around that rpm. Im waiting for him to email me the actuall picture graphs then i can post them. I had no knock at 70pts on my evc, at 74 pts i had a knock count of 3 at high rpms also. Sorry for being so vague here i don't know much about this but my friend told me that the drop in load cells might signify a problem, hopefully some one here could help
Old Oct 20, 2006 | 06:29 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Carlos, you may want to check/replace your throttle body seals on the butterfly shaft. The car is exhibiting the same signs mine was with my HKS EVC V seemingly losing it's control or effectiveness. It's about a one hour job and a nice piece of mind.
Old Oct 21, 2006 | 08:39 AM

so are these seals readily available anywhere?? Im assuming i just have to remove the throttle body and switch the seals here right?? Never did this b4 hehe....

Did this remedy your EVC problem??? Seems like the evc has been messing up with more people than just me lol... Thx a bunch i just ordered some NGK iridium9ix plugs for the car. Good timing so now i can do both things at once hehe, Thx again
Old Oct 21, 2006 | 09:20 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Oh no, I never attributed boost leaks effecting my car to the EVC V having problems. If you have a leak in the system all any boost controller will do is allow you to keep turning it up, working the turbo harder, to compensate for the pressure loss.

A heat range of 9 will not be of much use on the street. I can honestly recommend NGK BR8EIX plugs for 22-23psi on stock turbo for the street, it's what works for me and any Evolution I've put them in.

Here is a how to on the throttle body seals for you.
Old Oct 22, 2006 | 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

I don't know if this is the same problem you guys have had or having, but I went to the track Friday night for the first time wit C16 in my car. I raised my warning on my EVC and turned to boost up before my first run. I was just gonna see what it hit on that run and for from there.

I usually have it set to 68-70% with it being cold out. I ran my car and I noticed after the run that it only hit normal boost. I turned it up a little more and never noticed it going much higher on my peek/hold section on the screen.

I figured I would mess with it today for a while to see if I could get it to work. I finally figured out that my screen on my EVC wasn't reading anything higher than about 23psi, but my boost gauge was reading 25psi or so.

Anyone have this happen to them?
Old Oct 28, 2006 | 10:29 AM

Thx guys

Seems like i have alot to keep me busy hehe. I actually only got the bpr7eix I don't have that many mods so i was told i don't need to go crazy, i was told theses plugs were only a slightly different heat range. Hopefully i can get to do some work next weekend its been raining on/ff so don't wanna start something i can't finish... Thx again
Old Nov 8, 2006 | 03:26 PM

Well all i got around to do was the plugs hehe, but don't know how i found this but i saw my stock solenoid just dangling under some wires by the air filter. I tried removing it but i noticed a CEL pop on after. So i recheck the plugs for proper gapping and i put the solenoid back on and unplugged the battery no light yet. Now Question is since my soleniod is sitting there open could that cause this leak im getting??? Is there some kinda adapter i can plug into the wires instead of having the solenoid dangling in my car?? Thx again for the help guys.
Old Nov 11, 2006 | 04:34 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

You have to leave the solenoid plugged in or you will throw a ses. Cap off both ports on the stock solenoid with appropriately sized rubber nipples so that it won't get clogged with anything in the event that you ever revert back to stock. Be sure to cap off the small nipple on the stock intake tube as well. The stock solenoid has a line that runs to the wastegate and one to the stock boost tube. Make sure you have your 3 EVC lines connected in the proper orientation and that all hose used in the install is of appropriate diameter.
Old Nov 13, 2006 | 06:16 AM

wow

interesting enough, took the car out for a drive after i adjusted the plugs and put the solenoid back and unplugged the battery. car was back to normal.... i hope im not jinxing myself now but i think im back to normal lol. I had it on 70 pts as usual (was getting 21 psi) and i hit 23.9 psi peak!! i was kinda excited hopefully my car keeps this up lol. I put it back to 68 pts so now im sticking to 22 psi. I guess i had no leaks must have been something wrong with the solenoid connection or something.... weird...
Old Nov 13, 2006 | 09:33 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Has the temp in your area dropped recently?
Old Nov 14, 2006 | 05:39 AM

not really still in the 60s today is 62 don't know what it was the day i drove but can't be much different.... i think it was the solenoid that was messing me up. I think the car was trying to use the solenoid instead of the evc for the boost control if thats even possible lol. Im gonna go out again tonight hopefully ill have repeat results and a nice big grin finally back on my face