Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

boost gauge advice and pics

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2003, 02:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boost gauge advice and pics

Ok, so I don't have an EVO yet, but I am hoping on having one soon. Since most of you guys are saying the boost gauge is a "pre-mod" I figure I would pre-plan which one to get.

So I'd like to see pics of gauges you guys already have installed.

Also, are some gauges quality better than others?

Do I want a mechanical or electrical?

I think the best option I have seen so far is an autometer gauge with the buschner harness, does anyone know if you have to mount this harness with a screw or what?
Attached Thumbnails boost gauge advice and pics-evogauges7.jpg  
Old May 8, 2003, 02:57 AM
Lee
Evolving Member

Electronic w/ EBC are more accurate, but difficult to view when your really gunning it. Course not to say guages type ones aren't accurate, just generally have a larger tolerances and some bounce about a fair bit. Autometer aren't too bad from what I hear for the money, I have an Apexi guage (blue lit). I can't complain it does the job for me as most Japanese ones. Defi-Link guages are probably the best IMO.

Cheers
T
Old May 8, 2003, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

i did the same thing as is on that pic above, i just used the 15$ gauge pod that autometer offers, looks pretty good i think. And with our bumpy ride, i got a liquid filled gauge to dampen the effects, does a great job.
Attached Thumbnails boost gauge advice and pics-p1010037.jpg  
Old May 8, 2003, 06:05 PM

has anyone thought of hacking into the empty "lancer" spot in the gauge cluster ? not sure if its possible but that would be a pretty slick place for a boost guage.
Old May 8, 2003, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

i would think a little on the technical/time consuming side, not to say it wouldnt look bad ***, but i just dont want to take the time to do something like that and have the possibility of screwing something up.
Old May 8, 2003, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

But then how would you know if your intercooler spray is on or not?!
Old May 8, 2003, 10:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by 2003OZ
has anyone thought of hacking into the empty "lancer" spot in the gauge cluster ? not sure if its possible but that would be a pretty slick place for a boost guage.
Yea, then you wouldn't know if your CEL,I/C spray,etc comes on.

There really needs to be a better place for gauges
Old May 9, 2003, 12:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
here how mind looks like still waiting for my other 2 gauge to come in. Ah and i dont know why the climit controller looks red in the pix but it shuold be matching light blue

[/url]

Last edited by thuan; May 9, 2003 at 12:32 AM.
Old May 9, 2003, 12:24 AM
Evolving Member

oh and the blue plastic is just staying there till my blackcarbonfiber sheet get here soon.
I know the blue is ugly

Last edited by thuan; May 9, 2003 at 12:28 AM.
Old May 9, 2003, 08:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I did the same EXACT thing as the First picture.. Autometer boost gauge with the autometer pod.. and YES you do need to screw it down, you can use double sided tape, but it does come loose eventually, and Epoxy will also work, however its messy and will do more damage removing it than a few small screw holes..

The Upper portion of the steering column plastic trip is held on by a screw under the column (ONLY 1.. its the rearmost screw next to the right side of the column tilt adjuster) Once you remove that screw, you can persuade the cover off.. If you look at where most of us have mounted the gauge, its very close to the Windshield wiper stalk, so you don't want to just go drilling over there blindly, there's plenty of dead space under that cover by the way..
Old May 9, 2003, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

thuan:

I'm just curious why you chose to move the radio down and put the gauges there? Any particular reason other then being different.

PS - nice lexus key.
Old May 9, 2003, 03:11 PM

Thuan - did you have any trouble moving the radio down? I have the optional sport meter kit from mistu and I want to move it up to where the stereo is, but didn't know how much of a hassle it would be!!
Old May 9, 2003, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by perversity
Thuan - did you have any trouble moving the radio down? I have the optional sport meter kit from mistu and I want to move it up to where the stereo is, but didn't know how much of a hassle it would be!!
If you do move the sports meter kit, is there any chance you could take some pics of how it is wired up to the Evo's wiring.

I'd be particularly interested to know if the Mitsu Sports kit uses existing data from the ECU,or whether it uses add on sensors to get it's boost reading oil temp etc. If you could do this it would help a lot of Evo owners.

TIA
Old May 9, 2003, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

It was super east to move the radio down, in the back of this is all empty space. You unplug 1 peace from the cd player. toook me like 5 min 10 min tops.

Sneakychaos, I moved it up becasue its easyer to see when your driving. u look in the coner of your eye u can see it alot better.
plus in the sun it dont shine on your cd player, easyer to read the display, and it keep the cd alot cooler becasue its no so close to the heat vent in the middle.

Last edited by thuan; May 9, 2003 at 04:07 PM.
Old May 9, 2003, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

this weekend hope my gauge gets here. ill doc. every step.
shince im going to have to take this all apart again so i can install my 2 oil gauges

Quick Reply: boost gauge advice and pics