Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

does this sound like a bad fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2006, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does this sound like a bad fuel pump

my friend who has a IX with 12k on it called me and said he has a high pitch whine when he goes into boost and gets on the car. He checked for leaks of every kind and found nothing. he came over and we just went for a drive and to make a long story short while the car was ideling i was looking underneath the car and when i got to the back buy the muffler i heard the fuel pump just sounding normal (the quiet whine). but the sound in the car when you get on it sounds exactly like the fuel pump whine only ten times louder. the car runs great in every way just the loud whine when getting on it. does anyone have any experience with this. i never had a fuel pump go bad so i wouldnt know what it sounds like. thanks, Danny
Old Sep 29, 2006, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I take it this is the original factory pump. Is this friend's car still under warranty? If so, maybe he should take the car into the dealership.

I think, although I am not sure, that the ECU controls voltage to the pump depending on throttle position. Under WOT conditions the pump sees full voltage and the pitch of the pump's whine may get louder. Also, on my car at least, the pump gets louder if the gas tank is less than 1/4 full.

You might try swapping your pump into his car just to see if that changes things.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

he first noticed it tonight after work and came over my house just to see if i knew what it was,the dealer was closed already. the car is bone stock so he will be taking it to the dealer tuesday morning. i offered to swap mine in for him like you suggested but he wanted to wait for the dealer to check it out( i dont blame him).Like i said the car runs perfect its just a very loud whine when getting on the car and seems to get a little quieter the more its driven but its still there just not as loud.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Transfercase? type "tornado siren" in the search button. see if that sounds familiar. a fuel pump going bad, I would think makes NO sound. this sounds like a TC to me if all boost leaks were dismissed by a boost leak check-Not a visual inspection of the clamps.

Last edited by smokedmustang; Sep 29, 2006 at 07:00 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

its not a t/c whine, i know that sound all to well from my 03. he,s not losing any boost according to the boost gauge and he says the car feels and drives as good as day one. its just when going into boost you hear the whine. like i said in the original post it sounds exactly like the fuel pump only much louder and only when accelerating in boost. weird!
Old Sep 29, 2006, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

I am at a loss then. unless he has an "undetected" leak somewhere. I don't know what a fuel pump going bad sounds like, but I haven't heard of any going bad. good luck, and keep us posted. I don't think I can be of much assistance.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

when he brings it in tuesday and if they find the problem i,ll post the outcome,i,m curious myself what it is.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Danny23
when he brings it in tuesday and if they find the problem i,ll post the outcome,i,m curious myself what it is.
Thanks, we are all waiting on the edge of our seats.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 07:30 PM

The FP does get a little bit louder with a whine when going WOT. Walboro is even worse... Depending on how loud it is, I'd bring it to the dealer to double check.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 07:56 PM
Account Disabled

This would be an easy question to answer if he were running a Walbro pump. They're known to whine like all hell. But a stock pump? No clue. Hope the dealership spends more time diagnosing and fixing the problem than they do trying to convince him it's nothing to worry about.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 11:56 PM
Evolving Member

A failing turbo can make a loud whine when under boost.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 04:09 AM

Dear Danny,
Well I have the same problem just three days ago on my IX and that whine sound is even getting louder day after day , the car is running perfect and every thing is fine .

When I took back my car to the shop we found that the central differential bearings were gone also the input shafts bearings were gone too.

My car is running 6000miles and i am a normal driver i mean i never used to luanch the car hard or somthing .

Last edited by ahmed_rizg; Oct 1, 2006 at 04:11 AM.