Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Need Help Flooded Engine!!! Engine seized??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2006, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Need Help Flooded Engine!!! Engine seized??

I think I may be F'd but I thought I would ask here. I think I may have seized my motor, but want to see if there is anything I can do before calling AMS about a 2.3L. I was doing a boostleak test on my car and found a couple leaks which I fixed; buttoned everything back up and went to start the car. Nothing happened and wouldn't turn over. I then saw some fluid leaking around the throttlebody and wondered what it could be from.

It looks like I pressurized my meth container when doing the boost leak test and it in turn pushed the fluid into the intercooler pipes and in turn into the intake manifold when I went to start the car. I just pulled all the spark plugs and saw meth in cylinder 3/4 closest to throttle plate.

Is there anything I can do to get the meth out of the cylinders/ intake manifold. I think the pistons may be seized but want to try to get as much fluid out of there as possible and try to restart the car.

Please help cuz this sucks
Old Sep 29, 2006, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have done that different times. wait till overnight and all the meth will have evaporated!!! Dont start the car, because it wont start. disconnect the lower IC pipe, drivers side, ALL the meth will pour out of there. YOU ARE FINE!!! DON'T SWEAT IT!!!

Your INTAKE tract is FULL of meth. I did mine by not wiring up the kit correctly.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turn the car over by hand with the spark plugs out. Then, crank it over with the spark plugs out. That should expel any liquid. But make sure you do it by hand first and feel for any resistance (like a piston valve contact or bent rod).

I think you'll get lucky and won't have any damage, the starter hopefully isn't strong enough to bend a rod while you were hydrolocked.

If it'll crank over fine, count your blessing and change your oil!
Old Sep 29, 2006, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Boy I hope you guys are right; now my question is how do I manually crank the engine over by hand? thanks for the help so far
Old Sep 29, 2006, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Creamo3
Boy I hope you guys are right; now my question is how do I manually crank the engine over by hand? thanks for the help so far
Do what I said FIRST, check if the IC pipes on the intake side are FULL of Meth, if so, I HAVE Been there, let it "evaporate" overnight. reconnect the pipe, and start the car. Trust me I have gone thru this 4X, as my meth kit kept pumping at "odd" times, as I had it wired wrong. if the IC pipe gushes out Meth, you have MY problem. If not, doubleugly has the solution.

Disconnect on the drivers side, right where the pipe connects to the Intercooler!
Old Sep 29, 2006, 06:13 PM
Former Sponsor

You take a 1/2 inch ratchet with extension and insert into the end of the crank pulley located behind the right front wheel. You will see a little round rubber plug. Remove that and you will see what Im talking about. Make sure you spin the engineclock wise. You may have to remove the wheel for this but you may be able to get to it by turning the wheels completly to the right. Make sure you remove the plugs when you do this and take the car out of gear.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
Do what I said FIRST, check if the IC pipes on the intake side are FULL of Meth, if so, I HAVE Been there, let it "evaporate" overnight. reconnect the pipe, and start the car. Trust me I have gone thru this 4X, as my meth kit kept pumping at "odd" times, as I had it wired wrong. if the IC pipe gushes out Meth, you have MY problem. If not, doubleugly has the solution.

Disconnect on the drivers side, right where the pipe connects to the Intercooler!
It definately flooded on me so far you are spot on. I just freaked out thinking I seized it like a dummy. I'm going to try and crank it to get whatever remaining out. You guys are a god send. I love EvoM
Old Sep 29, 2006, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

It definately flooded on me so far you are spot on. I just freaked out thinking I seized it like a dummy. I'm going to try and crank it to get whatever remaining out. You guys are a god send. I love EvoM
IT STILL WONT START!! You have to leave it overnight to evaporate off!! (Pipe disconnected), just reconnect in the AM, and drive away!!

Last edited by smokedmustang; Sep 29, 2006 at 06:22 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

You are more fortunate than others............

Old Sep 29, 2006, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

PULL THE SPARK PLUGS, DISCONNECT THE COILS, PULL THE SPARK PLUGS, AND CRANK THE ENGINE OVER BY TURNING THE KEY. MAKE SURE TO HOLD THE THROTTLE WIDE OPEN. DO WHAT THEY SUGGESTED BY TAKING THE IC PIPE OFF THE THROTTLE BODY.... CRANK IT FOR ABOUT 20 SECONDS... LET THE STARTER COOL DOWN FOR ABOUT 2 MINUTES.. DO IT AGAIN FOR ROUGHLY 20 SECONDS... THEN PUT EVERYTHING BACK TOGETHER.. IT SHOULD BE JUST FINE AND START RIGHT UP. AFTER A FEW MILES OF RUNNING TIME I SUGGEST CHANGING THE OIL AND FILTER.

AND YES i did put everything in CAPS...

Good luck and you should be just fine.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Its threads like these is why I run race fuel. jk hahahhaa
Old Sep 29, 2006, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SKILMATIC
Its threads like these is why I run race fuel. jk hahahhaa
I know, I wish I could afford to run race fuel all the time or run seperate maps. Love the meth, just make sure to remove the cap on the resevoir when pressure testing the system.

I actually devised a little bong mechanism to suck the remaining meth out w/o getting any in my mouth. Worked good and gave an even better buzz from the fumes
Old Sep 29, 2006, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EiEVO
PULL THE SPARK PLUGS, DISCONNECT THE COILS, PULL THE SPARK PLUGS, AND CRANK THE ENGINE OVER BY TURNING THE KEY. MAKE SURE TO HOLD THE THROTTLE WIDE OPEN. DO WHAT THEY SUGGESTED BY TAKING THE IC PIPE OFF THE THROTTLE BODY.... CRANK IT FOR ABOUT 20 SECONDS... LET THE STARTER COOL DOWN FOR ABOUT 2 MINUTES.. DO IT AGAIN FOR ROUGHLY 20 SECONDS... THEN PUT EVERYTHING BACK TOGETHER.. IT SHOULD BE JUST FINE AND START RIGHT UP. AFTER A FEW MILES OF RUNNING TIME I SUGGEST CHANGING THE OIL AND FILTER.

AND YES i did put everything in CAPS...

Good luck and you should be just fine.
Well the car won't crank at all, do you think that I killed the starter? I turn the key and just get a click and nothing else
Old Sep 29, 2006, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

I know, I wish I could afford to run race fuel all the time or run seperate maps. Love the meth, just make sure to remove the cap on the resevoir when pressure testing the system.

I actually devised a little bong mechanism to suck the remaining meth out w/o getting any in my mouth. Worked good and gave an even better buzz from the fumes
Nah I was jk. I actually like the idea of meth and alky. However, I like race fuel because you dont ever have to worry about your pump failing or your tank running out(depending if you have the fail safe system). I actually have a coolingmist alky kit laying around that I havent installed. I havent had the time to do it.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Well the car won't crank at all, do you think that I killed the starter? I turn the key and just get a click and nothing else

It would still be best in my opinion, to pull the plugs and turn it over by hand. You'll need to remove the front passenger wheel, and there is a rubber grommet in the wheel well that's about 1 1/2" in diameter, pull the grommet and you will see the crank pulley bolt, nice and shiny. I forget the size, but it's probably around 21mm. Turn clockwise as others have suggested and make sure you don't meet up with any real resistance to verify the motor is ok. Turn it, but don't force it. You should have zero compression with the plugs out and it should spin relatively easy. If it spins over freely, leave the plugs out, and use the starter to turn it over. You won't spin it fast enough to get the liquid out by hand, but the start should shoot the meth out the spark plug hole if the cylinder is full. Make sure you have the gas peddle fully depressed as others have suggested.

It's still possible the cylinders could be full of liquid, or keep filling due to meth in your intake piping. I'm not sure if the methanol actually evaporates out of the cylinders, or leaks past the rings into your crankcase if you let it sit overnight. I'd bet it leaks past the rings.

Quick Reply: Need Help Flooded Engine!!! Engine seized??