Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ebay FMIC's actually perform well?!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2006, 03:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
As Martin (AMS) alluded to, the biggest difference from their IC to the eBay IC is INTERNAL. If you look inside them the internal fin design is different. It's been a while since I looked in either, but if I remember correctly, the eBay one uses extruded internal fins (thicker and not as many) and the AMS IC uses actual fins (like the fins you see on the outside) which are thinner but more dense. This yeilds better heat transfer/better cooling.

EVOlutionary
my xspower ic does not have extruded internal fins. i have never seen bar/plate ic that have extruded internal fins (i'm not saying there isn't any). only tube/fins ic like the oem one have extrude internal fins, from what i've seen.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mchuang
I dont know about the AMS one, but the other version is a copy of a hybrid and I had them both in front of me and inside the endtanks the intercooler was identical, outside welds identical, the only way I could tell mine was actually mine was because first off it was dented and 2nd it had a hybrid logo rivetted to the top and the xs power does not.
The AMS unit and it's eBay knock off are visibly different. Same overall shape and size, but very different . . .
Old Nov 8, 2006, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by honda-guy
my xspower ic does not have extruded internal fins. i have never seen bar/plate ic that have extruded internal fins (i'm not saying there isn't any). only tube/fins ic like the oem one have extrude internal fins, from what i've seen.
Like I said, I was going off (very poor) memory. I know they were visibly different inside. Perhaps it is not extruded, but the internal fin construction is very different nonetheless. . .

EVOlutionary
Old Nov 9, 2006, 09:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
maybe people should start taking pictures looking into / @ the fin design of their aftermarket i/c.

That way people will be able to distinguish which "ebay" fmic they have or what vendors are selling.

I will take a pic && post a pic of my fmic fin design when i chnage my oil tonight.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 03:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will take pictures too after I see what you are looking for.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lets see these pictures!
Old Nov 10, 2006, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

I bought a 05 RS with the Ebay stuff on it plus some other stuff and ya AMS said they wouldn't put it on their car if it was given to them. I am in the process of changing it all but as of right now I thnk the car is fast. So I guess it can only get faster. OHHH Darn. Anyways Like I said I have no problem.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 05:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I dont know about you guys but this looks pretty much the same except the exits of the intanks....

ebay : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/jdm-E...ayphotohosting

AMS : http://www.amsperformance.com/store/...EVO%20FMIC.JPG

and they both have 17 front core bar's
Old Nov 13, 2006, 08:56 AM
Former Sponsor

If you look hard enough you will see a difference in the end tanks and the outlets. Also on the AMS unit the top mounting location is welded on.

Plus the cooling fins look 10x better on the AMS unit.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Joe's_EVO8
If you look hard enough you will see a difference in the end tanks and the outlets. Also on the AMS unit the top mounting location is welded on.

Plus the cooling fins look 10x better on the AMS unit.
i must be blind lol
Old Nov 13, 2006, 04:54 PM

Has anybody tried to fit one of the 4" thick cores with the 3" outlets?
Old Nov 13, 2006, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaonashi
I dont know about you guys but this looks pretty much the same except the exits of the intanks....

ebay : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/jdm-E...ayphotohosting

AMS : http://www.amsperformance.com/store/...EVO%20FMIC.JPG

and they both have 17 front core bar's
Of course they look the same. The eBay unit is A COPY OF THE AMS UNIT. They purposefully made it look similar to boost their sales and to be able to "claim" that it performed identical to the AMS unit. Here are the differences:

- the core is made in China and is vastly INFERIOR to the core AMS uses.
- internal fin design is different
- eBay end tanks are cast aluminum (some say therefore heavier), AMS is welded sheet aluminum
- outlets are at a different angle and do not mount up as well as AMS'
- top mounting bracket on the eBay unit is in the center - this does not line up with the mounting point whick is offset to one side about 1.5". Therefore you have to fabricate your own top mounting bracket.
- eBay unit mounting brackets are screwed on with 2 little screw each. AMS unit has all mounting brackets welded on and in the proper positions.

So, as you can see, there are ALOT of diffences, but upon initial quick glance they look the same. I have owned both, and now only own the AMS. I will let that speak to which one I favor. . .

EVOlutionary
Old Nov 13, 2006, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

As far as endtanks being sheet metal vs cast, the cast is better. If you look at the precision intercoolers that use garrett cores, they use cast endtanks, hks, greddy all cast endtanks. The weight difference is very minimal when comparing sheet metal to cast endtanks. A friend of mine has an ebay intercooler with cut off endtanks and they hardly weigh anything. And if you use to thin of sheetmetal, under high boost it is possible it will blow apart and with cast endtanks you dont have to worry about that.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mchuang
As far as endtanks being sheet metal vs cast, the cast is better. If you look at the precision intercoolers that use garrett cores, they use cast endtanks, hks, greddy all cast endtanks. The weight difference is very minimal when comparing sheet metal to cast endtanks. A friend of mine has an ebay intercooler with cut off endtanks and they hardly weigh anything. And if you use to thin of sheetmetal, under high boost it is possible it will blow apart and with cast endtanks you dont have to worry about that.
Quote one high perf. source that says cast is better. . .

Weight difference is minimal, but still exists. . .

Why would you cut off the endtanks?? I don't understand . . .

AMS has never had an IC blow up that I know of, up over 40psi. . . I wonder how many eBay ICs have been over 40psi regularly. . . so your last point is completetly moot. . .

ANYTHING ELSE TO ADD??
Old Nov 13, 2006, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Well the intercooler that was purchased was not for the car so he had someone make custom endtanks for it. But like I said cast are more durable. I am not saying anything negative about AMS intercooler, as long as their welding is solid it should be fine and material is proper thickness which it is, then it should be fine, but you are saying your comment like cast aluminum endtanks are a negative attribute, when it is not. A good correlation would be intake manifold. Which is more prone to explode a sheetmetal one or a cast unit? That is the reason I say cast is more durable. People who make sheetmetal items do say they put their stuff thru rigorous testings, but what you have to worry about is consistency in the welding which some have down to the T. With cast that is not a worry though.

Last edited by mchuang; Nov 13, 2006 at 08:26 PM.