Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ebay FMIC's actually perform well?!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2006, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
damn it shows the end tanks...don't like that...however, your car looks good..and the intercooler compliments it
Old Oct 4, 2006, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, it's too bad they used the AMS IC to copy from, since that's the ugliest one, haha.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

What about other intercoolers on ebay such as these-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Inter...ayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/HYBRID-COPY-INTE...QQcmdZViewItem

Are there any you should stay away from, has any body had some bad experiences? What about the ones that are listed for multiple cars, including the EVO? Just wondering.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Rcebowl
lol not is this case! your LOSING efficicency! he's talking about turning up the boost bc of boost LOST throughout the intercooler... which is BAD

From what I have heard, drop in boost is due to a larger intercooler and people just turned up the MBC to compensate. Now if you are talking about losing boost in some other way that is probably bad. I have no idea about this, just going by what I read others say about any intercooler, not just ebay ones. They said they had to readjust the MBC after install.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by deffro
From what I have heard, drop in boost is due to a larger intercooler and people just turned up the MBC to compensate. Now if you are talking about losing boost in some other way that is probably bad. I have no idea about this, just going by what I read others say about any intercooler, not just ebay ones. They said they had to readjust the MBC after install.
I think the drop in pressure is normal for any intercooler. The drop in boost is due to restriction (much like there is a drop in voltage when resistance is encountered in electrical circuits). A larger FMIC will have a higher resistance to flow compared to the stocker, simply because there is more internal surface area to travel against. You will see this pressure drop (shouldn't be more than 1-2 psi) on all large cores (AMS, Buschur, etc.) not just the ebay ones.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

So we have concluded that the "JDMMotors" Ebay intercooler works great, and that the XS Power / SS Autochrome incooler works very well also. Any others?

Is this the XS Power intercooler that everyone is vouching for? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Inter...QQcmdZViewItem - Just verifying because the ad says it fits many other cars.

Can anyone else vouche for the JDMMotor intercooler? It is a bit cheaper, and still looks very nice... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/jdm-E...QQcmdZViewItem - I also like how it is advertised as Evo specific. Alwaysinboost - how was fitment on this? Since you are the only person to vouche for it thus far...

To me they both look identical and seem to have both stole AMS's design; is this the same conclusion you all have drawn as well?

Last edited by KOEvo; Oct 4, 2006 at 08:05 AM.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 3000ways
What about other intercoolers on ebay such as these-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Inter...ayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/HYBRID-COPY-INTE...QQcmdZViewItem

Are there any you should stay away from, has any body had some bad experiences? What about the ones that are listed for multiple cars, including the EVO? Just wondering.

Did anybody notice this from the second link?
Hybrid copy EVO 7 & 8 tube and fin intercooler kit

GUARANTEE MORE PERFORMANCE GAIN OVER THE OLD BAR AND PLATE

also, the first link says it is for a evo IIIV
Old Oct 4, 2006, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

That vendor has had 5 negative feedbacks within the last 6 months...would never buy anything from him!
Old Oct 4, 2006, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

so its a good upgrade for the dsm's, but how much of an upgrade is it for the evo?? like before and after dyno tune hp and tq??
Old Oct 4, 2006, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Theres a few Evos here locally that have the same Ebay intercooler and they are making 350+whp and up to 390whp on stock turbo with this fmic and are running mid to low 11s .. Its a very nice fmic, im thinking of getting one too, my roomate has one and i was impressed with the core..
Old Oct 4, 2006, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KOEvo
So we have concluded that the "JDMMotors" Ebay intercooler works great, and that the XS Power / SS Autochrome incooler works very well also. Any others?

Is this the XS Power intercooler that everyone is vouching for? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Inter...QQcmdZViewItem - Just verifying because the ad says it fits many other cars.

Can anyone else vouche for the JDMMotor intercooler? It is a bit cheaper, and still looks very nice... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/jdm-E...QQcmdZViewItem - I also like how it is advertised as Evo specific. Alwaysinboost - how was fitment on this? Since you are the only person to vouche for it thus far...

To me they both look identical and seem to have both stole AMS's design; is this the same conclusion you all have drawn as well?
Be careful, that is a universal intercooler. It will not fit an Evo of any kind without some major fabrication. I currently do not see any of the Evo specific XS power intercoolers for sale on ebay.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

a friend of mine got the xs power for the evo, fitment is great except for the loss of the undertray
Old Oct 4, 2006, 08:47 AM

As long as the core doesnt leak it is fine. This would be a good upgrade vs the stock size core, but efficicency can be an issue for those hardcore racers.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVIL_EVO_VIII
Theres a few Evos here locally that have the same Ebay intercooler and they are making 350+whp and up to 390whp on stock turbo with this fmic and are running mid to low 11s .. Its a very nice fmic, im thinking of getting one too, my roomate has one and i was impressed with the core..
Which Ebay intercooler? There are so many different units available. Is it one of the two i linked? The XS Power or the JDMMotor?

Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
Be careful, that is a universal intercooler. It will not fit an Evo of any kind without some major fabrication. I currently do not see any of the Evo specific XS power intercoolers for sale on ebay.
So there are no XS Power intercoolers for sale anyway? Man that sucks, it seems to be the most popular...
Old Oct 4, 2006, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by idriveaevo
so its a good upgrade for the dsm's, but how much of an upgrade is it for the evo?? like before and after dyno tune hp and tq??
It is very hard to determine how much power an intercooler upgrade will generate for you. A dyno run will tell you nothing because there is little or no airflow happening. The large birdcage fans they sometimes use at the dyno don't actually flow any where near the amount of air to accurately simulate a car traveling at a high rate of speed. A better measurement of performance is available at your local dragstrip =)