Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ebay FMIC's actually perform well?!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2006, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The intercooler is ****. I bought one, put it on and couldn't get the couplers to go on without popping off on the pass side and messed with it for about 2 hours wasn't on the ground either i had a rack to lift the car so i could get more leverage to get the couplers on. What I'm trying to say is they made the end tanks crappy and doesn'tline up with the stock piping as stated. Oh the other thing is it's heavy as ****. I said screw it and sold it to the guy I worked with for 100 bucks.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by razorlab
Turbo XS and XS power are two different companies with different intercoolers.
Yea haha I also thought they were refering to the Xs power, but I guess they arent. They way he posted it made it sound like he was lol. Especially with all the intercooler controversy.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 04:48 AM
Evolved Member

I got my XS Power FMIC from TTP Engineering. I haven't seen them on Ebay in a while. Check with Scott he might be able to get more.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

did anyone else have trouble installing it like greend did? and how much is it on ttp engineering site?
Old Nov 3, 2006, 12:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by smjkxsnoopy
did anyone else have trouble installing it like greend did? and how much is it on ttp engineering site?
I tried installing mine today. I had the same problem. The inlet/outlets don't line up with the intercooler piping at all. They are too high and the couplers have to bend at a really awkward angle. I gave up after an hour of trying.

Maybe the guys that got this installed can let us in on some secrets?
Old Nov 3, 2006, 12:06 AM
Evolved Member

I tried installing mine today. I had the same problem. The inlet/outlets don't line up with the intercooler piping at all. They are too high and the couplers have to bend at a really awkward angle. I gave up after an hour of trying.

Which one do you have? the one with 3 inch outlets.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 12:19 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by mchuang
Which one do you have? the one with 3 inch outlets.
Same one that HmanEVO and Krafty in this thread have.

Here are some photos of mine:

You can see how the outlets don't curve down like the stock FMIC does.

Last edited by razorlab; Nov 3, 2006 at 12:21 AM.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 02:05 AM
Evolved Member

Not sure on that one, but this one is dam close to stock location and the one that I have seen work with stock couplers. They one you have may require new outlets possibly unless like you say if someone has a trick that you are missing

Old Nov 3, 2006, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

install was the only downside to the IC.

what I did was purchase an extra set of stock IC pipes & couplers for $35. Originally I was going to use them for polishing up but this worked out well. I just cut two of the angled couplers and it fit perfectly.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

BTW if anyone still has doubts about how this IC performs, I upgraded my turbo to a 35r and my ET/MPH is right up there with everyone else who has the more expensive IC's.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

All I had to do was adjust the couplers and piping on the hotside of the IC. The cold side was a perfect fit. I do have Injen upper and lower intercooler pipes, but they matted up perfect with the stock intercooler.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
BTW if anyone still has doubts about how this IC performs, I upgraded my turbo to a 35r and my ET/MPH is right up there with everyone else who has the more expensive IC's.
what extactly are your trap speeds... and what are your mods?

who's turbo kit?
what cams?
who tuned?
etc

pls
Old Nov 3, 2006, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Here's the deal..... Unless you are making @ssloads of horsepower or road racing in extremely high temps you DONT NEED A BIGGER FMIC. I road race the crap out of my EVO and after 20-30 minute sessions at 21PSI the hotside is warm but the cold side is cool.

I got sucked into the bigger FMIC propaganda too. First I tried the RnR race unit but felt the bang for the buck wasn't worth it so I sold it. Then I got curious about the SS autochrome (XS Power) FMIC that is pictured in post #67 so I purchased one. Fitting this unit on the car was a HUGE PITA. After install the only thing I noticed is increased lag. I sold both aftermarket FMICs and have been running stock ever since.

The bottom line is 98% of us dont need a huge FMIC. This is especially true if you run race gas at the track. If you are running 100+ octane at the drag strip odds are you wont see any difference between the stock unit and an aftermarket one. If you aren't running race gas at the strip then get with the program.

If your stock one is damaged buy another stock one from the FS forum. These huge FMIC are heavy are practically useless.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
Here's the deal..... Unless you are making @ssloads of horsepower or road racing in extremely high temps you DONT NEED A BIGGER FMIC. I road race the crap out of my EVO and after 20-30 minute sessions at 21PSI the hotside is warm but the cold side is cool.

I got sucked into the bigger FMIC propaganda too. First I tried the RnR race unit but felt the bang for the buck wasn't worth it so I sold it. Then I got curious about the SS autochrome (XS Power) FMIC that is pictured in post #67 so I purchased one. Fitting this unit on the car was a HUGE PITA. After install the only thing I noticed is increased lag. I sold both aftermarket FMICs and have been running stock ever since.

The bottom line is 98% of us dont need a huge FMIC. This is especially true if you run race gas at the track. If you are running 100+ octane at the drag strip odds are you wont see any difference between the stock unit and an aftermarket one. If you aren't running race gas at the strip then get with the program.

If your stock one is damaged buy another stock one from the FS forum. These huge FMIC are heavy are practically useless.
+1000000000000

An upgraded FMIC is a huge waste of money if you are running the stock turbo.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Ehhh ... i was pretty sure the stock intercooler heatsoaks pretty bad after a couple of runs