Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ebay FMIC's actually perform well?!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2006, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have seen data from engineering students show how these don't hold a candle to the actually well designed cores. The data showed them retaining a lot more heat than others and really not performing as effeciently. Granted at the price they sell for you can't expect them to perform as well as the others.

just what i have seen.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
I tried installing mine today. I had the same problem. The inlet/outlets don't line up with the intercooler piping at all. They are too high and the couplers have to bend at a really awkward angle. I gave up after an hour of trying.

Maybe the guys that got this installed can let us in on some secrets?
I had the same problem. What you want to do is bend the top bracket for the fmic in such a way that it lowers it and lines it up with the top of the crash bar. I have some pics I took of the install I can post if you want. Give you an idea how I got the IC pipes connected etc.

I see your point Jeff about the stock fmic being just fine for the stock turbo. If you're able to run a 20-30 minute session and see no signs of heat soak and increased knock then I'd guess there would be no reason to upgrade. Just another testament to how well the stock fmic performs. I already posted about the condition of my stock fmic earlier in this thread and was part of the reason for upgrading. At the time I wasn't planning on running meth and I picked up this new fmic for $200 shipped which included the licp and uicp. Which is a little more than what some used stock fmic's go for except the xspower was obviously new and included a nice licp. It is a heavy SOB. Thats for sure. When I upgrade to a higher flowing turbo later down the road I'm sure I'll replace it then. I also mentioned in my last post that I was able to run more timing advance with this fmic over the stock fmic on pump gas. Now if I would have used a better condition stock fmic to test with, the results might not have varied so much. I'll never know.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blakevo8
Does anyone actually have this one off ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/jdm-E...33747195QQrdZ1

any pressure drop/does it fit with stock intercooler pipes
I have that one. Never held 25psi so solid. The car loves it. Took it to Summit point with the new IC (lol I installed it 1 hr before I left for summit). Havent been able to do really any extensive tuning... plus it just got crazy cold here, so not sure my evaluation would be helpful.

oh, wanted to add a couple things.
1. fittment was.... okay. It 'works' with stock icpipes... but if you notice the angle of the inlet/outlet pipes on it are not bent like the stock ones, you'll see why it's a bit akward. In addition, the brackets really suck. I ended up removing the front horn (you have 2) and bolting the bracket there. This resulted in the IC ending up just below the lower lip of the bumper.
a few pix:

<sorry no time to resize the third pic>
(I use a house AC type mesh painted black in front of the IC bc I dont like the blingy look. You can only see the "chrome" from straight ahead.)

Last edited by honki24; Nov 6, 2006 at 07:41 AM.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 11:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by HmanEVO
I had the same problem. What you want to do is bend the top bracket for the fmic in such a way that it lowers it and lines it up with the top of the crash bar. I have some pics I took of the install I can post if you want. Give you an idea how I got the IC pipes connected etc.
Could you post the photos or PM them to me? thanks!
Old Nov 3, 2006, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

man those are some HUGE photos, please resize them.

Originally Posted by Rcebowl
what extactly are your trap speeds... and what are your mods?

who's turbo kit?
what cams?
who tuned?
etc

pls
i've been traping 118 on pumpgas @ 22psi consistantly. its not huge power but the car is a completly stock block with just a 35r on it. still has stock cams, stock head, stock MAF, stock manifold, ect. I'd like to think if there was a bottle neck with the intercooler my traps would be much worse.

i'm using ECUFlash to tune.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

Could you post the photos or PM them to me? thanks!
Here ya go. If you notice in the second pic I used some 2 ply radiator hose to extend the licp out a little. I don't think its 100% neccessary because I know of someone that was able to use the provided coupler and got it to fit no problem. I was still able to keep the undertray also. You can see the portion that needs to be cut for the fmic to fit. The same thing has to be done to the AMS fmic IIRC.

Old Nov 3, 2006, 03:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Thanks for the photos. Ok I understand how yours fit then. Looks like you didnt use the one lower bracket on the right IC pipes here:

Because my IC pipe on the right is MUCH closer to the outlet pipe, you can see it curves in much more then yours does, did you take that factory bracket off or just not use it?

You can see how my right IC pipe curves into the front area much more then yours does here:

I am also using a nisei lower IC pipe that just wouldn't line up no matter what I did with it.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
man those are some HUGE photos, please resize them.

i've been traping 118 on pumpgas @ 22psi consistantly. its not huge power but the car is a completly stock block with just a 35r on it. still has stock cams, stock head, stock MAF, stock manifold, ect. I'd like to think if there was a bottle neck with the intercooler my traps would be much worse.

i'm using ECUFlash to tune.
i dont know if that's a 100% true... esp since the GT35r isnt pushing much air at 22psi ... i mean gt35r's are made to push 30+ and that's when it reallly opens up.. i think that's when you'll see the difference ... IMHO
Old Nov 3, 2006, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Why is this page so W I D E ?
Old Nov 3, 2006, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Sgt Blamo
Why is this page so W I D E ?
ITS THE BIG *** PICTURES THAT DID IT.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

did you take that factory bracket off or just not use it?
Yeah I didn't use any of the brackets or mounting points for that pipe. There's no way it would have worked if I had.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

i had the quickwhips 1,000 hp intercooler and it was awsome for like 280-300 shipped i belive it was!
Old Nov 3, 2006, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

I just installed my FMIC which I got off eBay. It's 3 x12x3, core is 24x12x3 w/ 3" inlet/outlets. It will fit the stock piping w/very little problem, but the Injen,wich came with my intake is to far off. I had to use my stock upper intake tubing to fabricate a 45 elbow.
My boost is about the same as before I installed it +-1 psi. I'm taking it down to my local sho on Tuesday to have him fabricate a LICP, bracket(I had to fabricate some temp ones)and re-tune my car to take advantage of the new IC. While I was in there, I ran 2 sections of 4" ducting from the drivers side small grill opening(removed the panel) and it flows very nicely. There are several good FMIC to be had off of eBay, I paid $130. shipped for mine.
I chose mine because I didn't like the AMS looking one and wanted a larger surface area.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone have more info about the eBay one? Im starting to be swayed into saving $500 compared to buschurs...
Old Nov 5, 2006, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I noticed that the eBay intercoolers only big difference (from buschur) is that they use 3" inlets/outlets instead of 2.5". Cant you just use a silicone coupler to connect it and it would be fine?