Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ebay FMIC's actually perform well?!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2006, 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by _EVOled_
I noticed that the eBay intercoolers only big difference (from buschur) is that they use 3" inlets/outlets instead of 2.5". Cant you just use a silicone coupler to connect it and it would be fine?

I'll be trying that shortly, we'll see how it goes.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let me know man. PM me. I am very interested to know how it turned out. Thanks!
Old Nov 5, 2006, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Someone was asking which eBay FMIC to buy. I will tell you one guy not to buy from. His store name is "autox2" and he is lousy! I can tell you from firsthand experience, as I bought one from him and will NEVER do business with him again! He was VERY poor at returning emails and doesn't know jack about what he sells or Evo's in general. Don't buy from this guy: http://stores.ebay.com/autox2 You'll be sorry if you do!

Here's a much better source: http://stores.ebay.com/Just-Intercoolers this is who I would buy from if I did it again.
Here's a source for silicone reducers & such: http://www.siliconeintakes.com/
Old Nov 5, 2006, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

evo8 pr,
Yes you can use reducers, that's what I did. Or you can go to the site I linked and buy a 31x12x3 w/ 2.5 inlet/outlets
Old Nov 5, 2006, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone have more info about the eBay one? Im starting to be swayed into saving $500 compared to buschurs...
I have said before honda guys have been using this intercooler before us and make 600 - 700 hp on it. I have actually witnessed it with my own eyes.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 07:19 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Which intercooler is that? There seem to be a few different ones?

Also, who are these 700hp hondas?
Old Nov 5, 2006, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Too bad just intercoolers doesnt have the same 4" race FMIC like Buschurs with the same dimensions. The one with the 3" outlet/inlet does...
Old Nov 5, 2006, 08:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Too bad just intercoolers doesnt have the same 4" race FMIC like Buschurs with the same dimensions. The one with the 3" outlet/inlet does...
Like this?

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/detai...94f5f6295d54ac
Old Nov 5, 2006, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Yup
Old Nov 5, 2006, 11:57 PM
Former Sponsor

I just installed the XS Power IC today. I could feel no noticeable gains or losses with it. Install was more of a PITA than I would have thought it should have been. Actually had to modify the front fascia a little bit and cut a little plastic away to make it fit right. No big deal here just was a true bolt on at this rate.

Had to bend the stock IC coupler on the cold side and it fit. On the hotside I am using a LPI LICP which there I used a straight 2.5" coupler. Fitment with this pipe is a little bit for concern although it works.

Looks better than the stocker so at least I can walk away knowing that.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

After you get it tuned hopefully you will gain power. Keep us updated
Old Nov 6, 2006, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mchuang
I have said before honda guys have been using this intercooler before us and make 600 - 700 hp on it. I have actually witnessed it with my own eyes.

No one was is saying people havent made alot of power... my issue and i believe the issue with the other poeple is how efficiently it is doing it?? how much MORE power will you see with a more efficient intercooler?
Old Nov 6, 2006, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kf6ytc
yep, but you won't get that response from most people on evom because everyone here is in bed with buschur/ams and they won't admit the product good for obvious reasons
I noticed that also ...but also most tuners will tell you if you have a mix of different parts (ie not their brand) that the car wont get you optimum numbers..how hard they try with outsider parts I dont know, since thats not my specialty...but I dont want to go through the headache...thats why I chose one vendor for ALL my parts.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 08:37 AM
AMS
Former Sponsor

Well let's clear some things up.

1. The Ebay IC's do not use the same core that we do. Our core alone costs way more than their complete IC kit with piping!

2. I have tested our core Vs. the ebay IC twice. Guess what, in a direct swap we lose 5-8whp on a stock turbo evo with the Ebay IC. Are you going to feel that on your butt dyno?, probably not, but you just paid money for something that is barely better than stock. On a bigger turbo car you start losing even more power.

3. I've looking into getting cheaper cores to drop our pricing, and each time I do I get dissapointing info/results. There is much more to an IC core than the way it looks from the outside.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

AMS, do you have any documentation to post up about the tests you performed? I would like to see some hard numbers other then what I have experienced through my own R&D.

I feel bad for you guys because someone obviously copied your design and is undercutting you big time. However I've compared my Ebay IC to your IC which a friend has on his IX and visually they are 100% IDENTICAL. From the bar and plate design to the end tanks, 100% identical.

also on my car I didn't experience any drop in MPH at the track, it actually increased, with the addition of the Ebay IC, I was able to run more boost & more timing w/o knock compared to the stock IC.