Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ebay FMIC's actually perform well?!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2006, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup
Old Nov 6, 2006, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

So back to the intercoolers...Is this core acceptable?
Old Nov 6, 2006, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my friend has a ebay ic on his srt 4 and i was very impressed with, best bang for buck, imo. but my car gets the best so i went w/ an ams.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Back to the IC discussion,
I noticed that AMS posted a statement about the ebay FMIC's, however there are several IC's being referenced here. I was comparing a totally different IC than the one that looks like a copy of theirs, which I personally think is ugly, but that's just me. The IC's that I'm refering to seem to be on par with several different IC's that cost hundreds more. I was told by a local shop that did some testing on a few customers cars, that the ones I'm refering to were just as good as several $600-700 IC's. here's the links to the ones I'm comparing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-Cor...mZ230037375467

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FMIC-...mZ230047055915

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/categ...2b601726f72c15
Old Nov 6, 2006, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

BTW,
No offence intended to AMS or anyone who has one that is that style.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sgt Blamo
Back to the IC discussion,
I noticed that AMS posted a statement about the ebay FMIC's, however there are several IC's being referenced here. I was comparing a totally different IC than the one that looks like a copy of theirs, which I personally think is ugly, but that's just me. The IC's that I'm refering to seem to be on par with several different IC's that cost hundreds more. I was told by a local shop that did some testing on a few customers cars, that the ones I'm refering to were just as good as several $600-700 IC's. here's the links to the ones I'm comparing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-Cor...mZ230037375467

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FMIC-...mZ230047055915

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/categ...2b601726f72c15
That is the exact one I am refering to. That intercooler is a copy of another intercooler named HYBRID which i use to own on my honda.. http://www.hybrid-power.com/index.php. I was on the freeway and piece of wood dropped from a truck and hit my intercooler so mine friend had the exact same just didnt have the hybrid plaque on the top. I said what the hell and used it. On the butt dyno I felt no difference, but never got to dyno it. But I swear the intercooler was 100% identical and weighed exactly the same give maybe off by .3 lbs or something. Welds looked identical. I paid 480 for mine and he paid 200 for his I was like "aint that a *****"
Old Nov 6, 2006, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
your looking at the wrong IC then. THere are several different ones out there, the one that most people are talking about happens to look exactly like the AMS unit, welded endtanks and all.

I didn't sit there and count fins per in. or bars, the cores look exactly alike except one has AMS spraypainted on it.
i'm talking about the one that looks like the AMS. i was one of the first to install the xspower ic on this forum. i did a post on it over a year ago. i've never seen an xspower ic that looks like the AMS ic with welded sheet aluminum end tanks.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=156092
Old Nov 6, 2006, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Interesting...
Old Nov 6, 2006, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

I paid $135. shipped ! It only took 3 days to go from Miami to PSL,FL. That's why I listed
two different vendors than the one I used.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 08:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have seen the XS power intercoolers work great on LS1 Forced Induction setups. The 3" has been up to 600rwhp with 20-30f increase above ambient and cars running into the 10's. The 4" has been in the 800rwhp with no problems and taking cars into the low 9's. I have a 4" going in my car which is going to be pushing over 800rwhp on the new setup.
Attached Thumbnails Ebay FMIC's actually perform well?!-pa230060.jpg  
Old Nov 6, 2006, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
As Martin (AMS) alluded to, the biggest difference from their IC to the eBay IC is INTERNAL. If you look inside them the internal fin design is different. It's been a while since I looked in either, but if I remember correctly, the eBay one uses extruded internal fins (thicker and not as many) and the AMS IC uses actual fins (like the fins you see on the outside) which are thinner but more dense. This yeilds better heat transfer/better cooling.

Joe, PM me or call me about the fitment of the eBay IC. I didn't have to trim anything for it to fit my car when I used to run it . . .

EVOlutionary
Old Nov 6, 2006, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
As Martin (AMS) alluded to, the biggest difference from their IC to the eBay IC is INTERNAL. If you look inside them the internal fin design is different. It's been a while since I looked in either, but if I remember correctly, the eBay one uses extruded internal fins (thicker and not as many) and the AMS IC uses actual fins (like the fins you see on the outside) which are thinner but more dense. This yeilds better heat transfer/better cooling.

Joe, PM me or call me about the fitment of the eBay IC. I didn't have to trim anything for it to fit my car when I used to run it . . .

EVOlutionary
+1111
Old Nov 6, 2006, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

I hope some hard evidence comes out with a great power gain. If it doesnt, I will be forced to spend an extra $500
Old Nov 6, 2006, 11:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary

EVOlutionary

I dont know about the AMS one, but the other version is a copy of a hybrid and I had them both in front of me and inside the endtanks the intercooler was identical, outside welds identical, the only way I could tell mine was actually mine was because first off it was dented and 2nd it had a hybrid logo rivetted to the top and the xs power does not.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 01:32 AM
Evolved Member

i know know about eovs but i know there is a LOT and i mean a lot of hondas that run ebay intercoolers and they make los of power
i persionally make 500whp in my integra and run an ebay intercooler with out any problems