Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Do you have a noisey tranny on deceleration above 3K RPM?
I Have It
69.97%
I Don\'t Have It
30.03%
Voters: 383. You may not vote on this poll

How Many People Have the Problem W/ Tranny Noise

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2003, 11:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Many People Have the Problem W/ Tranny Noise

It seems the problem with the tranny being noisey on deceleration above 3K RPM is actually wide spread. The best way to describe the problem is a rattling/rumbling sound. Kinda like when a bearing has gone bad. It only occurs on deceleration anywhere above 3K RPM and is most noticable in 3rd or 4th gear. How many people on this board are affected by this problem?

Here is the thread that talks about the problem.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...5&pagenumber=1

Last edited by Option2; May 8, 2003 at 11:25 PM.
Old May 9, 2003, 06:48 AM
Evolving Member

i'll be the first to admit that it is loud, but the sound is very similar to the sound of my tranny on my S2000, so i just pay it no mind. I don't think it is a sign of anything wrong.
Old May 9, 2003, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

I have it too. Is it bad?
Old May 9, 2003, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Re: How Many People Have the Problem W/ Tranny Noise

I think I hear it as well

Originally posted by Option2
and is most noticable in 3rd or 4th gear.
I'll have to verify this... I'm not sure.
Old May 9, 2003, 08:59 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

All wheel drive cars are notoriousl for having louder transmissions than FWD or even RWD. Unless it's making funny sounds or is really loud, I wouldn't think twice about it.
Old May 9, 2003, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

Have it a little too, but I think it's something we'll just get used
to.
Old May 9, 2003, 10:31 AM
choad

Already diagnosed at Dealership...

It is the Differential on deceleration or something like that..

TOTALLY normal, and no worries!!
Old May 9, 2003, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

I don't know if it makes much of a difference, but 3 and 4 are on a different shaft in the tranny that 1/2 and 5/R. Technically all gears are on both shafts, but the synchros/selectors for 3/4 are on the input (I think) shaft, and the other gears have their synchros/selectors on the output shaft.
Old May 9, 2003, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

I think a lot of people are hyper sensitive about the noises their cars make. You are going to hear a lot of noises from an AWD car that you didn't hear in your 2wd ones. You are going to hear a lot of noises with the Evo's minimal sound deadening material verses your old car that probably had pretty good NVH ratings.

Don't worry about it! Your car is under warranty. Wait till there is a failure.....then you will know there is something wrong with your car!

All this worrying about things we hear is going to do nothing but age us all prematurely!

SC~
Old May 9, 2003, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Secret Chimp
I think a lot of people are hyper sensitive about the noises their cars make. You are going to hear a lot of noises from an AWD car that you didn't hear in your 2wd ones. You are going to hear a lot of noises with the Evo's minimal sound deadening material verses your old car that probably had pretty good NVH ratings.

Don't worry about it! Your car is under warranty. Wait till there is a failure.....then you will know there is something wrong with your car!

All this worrying about things we hear is going to do nothing but age us all prematurely!

SC~
Amen. ... guess I dont care because I've got other things to drive, but hell, if its gonna break it will, and if its just gonna make a noise, a louder exhaust can fix that.
Old May 9, 2003, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

I understand that there will be "lots" of noises not normally heard in a 2wd car. This particular sound just doesn't sound normal. If you follow the thread that I posted it sounds like Mitsubishi acknowledges the problem and has already allowed the replacement of transmissions on at least a handful of cars.
Old May 9, 2003, 02:13 PM

My Evo8 is the 4th AWD sports car i have owned ... ive had a 92 Stealth RT/TT, 98 GTO VR4, 03 WRX and now an 03 Evo8. All these cars had noisy AWD tranny / diffs .. however, none of them made a loud grinding noise upon deceleration in any gear. Sure, they whined and purred and made noise. But, my Evo8 grinds to the point where it sounds like the tranny could die at any moment. It is definately not normal. Heck, i even have an RPS Stage3 cluth in my VR4 that screeches pretty loudly, but no where near as loud as the current grinding noise (could be clutch?) in my Evo.

What ive noticed in my car, is it doesnt start grinding (3rd and 4th gear) until after ive driven the car for 5-10 mins .. ie, the tranny warms up. If i run it hard, it grinds really loud for a few mins after, then it quiets down, but is still very noticeable.
Old May 9, 2003, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was worried because I previously owned a Toyota Celica All-Trac/GT-FOUR and that awd system didn't make a peep. So when I started hearing noise from my Evo I was concerned but it seems everyone has the same noise so I guess it's normal.
Old May 9, 2003, 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

yeah you car might be covered under warranty but there is nothing worse than having a broken car. I dont have an evo but when the tranny in my avenger broke, after i got it fixed i was all paranoid about my baby sounding broken again. I think your worrying is normal, no on wants the evo to break hehe.
Old May 9, 2003, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by s4awd
I was worried because I previously owned a Toyota Celica All-Trac/GT-FOUR and that awd system didn't make a peep. So when I started hearing noise from my Evo I was concerned but it seems everyone has the same noise so I guess it's normal.

Ah... the All-Trac.
Would love to see Toyota bring that thing back to life. But Toyota is too conservative... giving us the stupid Scion and say that it is great for the gen y.

So what about us? Chop liver?

Oh well. If they don't want our business.... hello

Quick Reply: How Many People Have the Problem W/ Tranny Noise