Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

How to get more appreciable gains from stock turbo?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2006, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ang Wen Yan
Here a list to max out stock turbo:.....................TTP Cam Gear Setting
O.K., I'll bite....I have no doubt that it is effective, given TTP's results on the stock turbo, but what exactly is the TTP Cam Gear Setting? I have my Allen wrench ready and I'm willing to try anything.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you came across the thread about the cam gear setting? Type this in the search bar 272/272 cam timing test and tune or look for silver surfer. He tried some setting and claims higher power.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
You've gotten to the point where there aren't any more cheap fixes for decent power. At this point it is all going to be fairly expensive.

It's pretty much time for a bigger turbo. At least with a bigger turbo you're not pushing it to it's limit to get more power. All your doing by pushing things to their absolute limit is asking for them to break which isn't a cheap option in the long run.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

I'm glad you like the ATP turbo idea, for reference on a completely stock Evo w/ TBE on their 3076 turbo kit made 375 WHP over the stock 250 whp they got on the same dyno.

In your situation any of the ATP kits will put you in the mid to high 400's on pump and 500+ whp on race gas.

One of these kits used can be had for as low as $1200, and they are almost ALWAYS less then $2000 used. If you think about it, this is the best bang for buck for you at this point.

They utilize the stock intercooler, stock manifold, shoot stock everything except tune fuel pump and injectors.

I say do it .

Originally Posted by Ang Wen Yan
Here a list to max out stock turbo:
JUN or Tomei or Relvover or Piper or GSC(280) cam
AEM EMS
Fully ported head w/ oversized valve
EVO 9 turbo with ported turbine housing
IM w/ TB
Full Race Exhaust Manifold
Ebay $80 housing
75 shot
Tilton Carbon/Carbon
Carbon Driveshaft
Lightweight brake
Lightest wheel/Tire comol you can get
TTP Cam Gear Setting
This is the most thorough and correct answer you have gotten yet, this will net you over 400 whp, but it definatly isn't the cheap and easy way to get there.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

trying cam gear settings will make me lose torque down low..which i would like to keep unless i have a bigger turbo. So, basically the best idea would be to hopefully find maybe a mani and a slightly bigger sized turbo where i won't be pushing it as hard on a daily basis. Meth should take care of the ic for the most part correct until 430+hp?Glad everyone is throwing stuff in, feel free anyone else.Thx
Old Oct 6, 2006, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KOEvo
I'm glad you like the ATP turbo idea, for reference on a completely stock Evo w/ TBE on their 3076 turbo kit made 375 WHP over the stock 250 whp they got on the same dyno.

In your situation any of the ATP kits will put you in the mid to high 400's on pump and 500+ whp on race gas.

One of these kits used can be had for as low as $1200, and they are almost ALWAYS less then $2000 used. If you think about it, this is the best bang for buck for you at this point.

They utilize the stock intercooler, stock manifold, shoot stock everything except tune fuel pump and injectors.

I say do it .

This is the most thorough and correct answer you have gotten yet, this will net you over 400 whp, but it definatly isn't the cheap and easy way to get there.
It may be time for this...if i can find a decently priced one i may jump on it. I can live with some lag or maybe i can try what smokinjoe did. With that type of power i will most certainly be happy.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

There is a guy in austin texas that has the full ATP setup. I remember he said he was going to pull it off and sell the whole setup for like $1200. Including bigger injectors and custom manifold. You might want to look at the southern region forum. The thread is about 2 weeks old.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

I'm pretty sure that one is sold, unless there is another i overlooked. Thanks for the tip though
Old Oct 6, 2006, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
[QUOTE=mrdevo]trying cam gear settings will make me lose torque down low..which i would like to keep unless i have a bigger turbo......... [/QUOTE]

What are your 272 cams degreed at now?
Old Oct 6, 2006, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

fwiw, what are you planning to do with it? if you just want quicker 1/4mile times then there's little else you can do apart from a manifold and O2 housing (not sure if this is already included in your 'full exhaust' or not).

I wouldn't think you'd want/need to go with the EMS as suggested and you appear to already have cams. Having said that, the Tomei Poncams allegedly give very good gains low down. If yours is a daily driver, this might be a better proposition than 280's.

There is something to be gained thorugh the intercooler. However, larger doesn't always mean better. A larger ic will be laggy (as has been pointed out). What you want is something of a similar volume, perhaps slightly higher cooling efficiency but probably with a lower preddure drop across. The only one I know of that does that is the ARC079 (not 073wide) but that's not confirmed.

Apart from that you can go on a loss elimination programme - lighter everything incl. internals and ported everything.

I'm guessing however, that if you want to keep the stock turbo, you probably don't want to mess around with taking the engine apart though...
Old Oct 6, 2006, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would bigger cams even do anything? I say wait for the 20G-9-LT...buschur got around 460whp out of it on a mustang dyno!
Old Oct 6, 2006, 09:38 PM
Account Disabled

400 for a nitrous kit is best bang for buck for drag strip...best is the driver mod though...
Old Oct 7, 2006, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sparky
[QUOTE=mrdevo]trying cam gear settings will make me lose torque down low..which i would like to keep unless i have a bigger turbo.........

What are your 272 cams degreed at now?[/QUOTE]

Currently have no cam gears. I said i would lose torque down low because if i had them set, i would want more top end and I don't think you can get both.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by x838nwy
fwiw, what are you planning to do with it? if you just want quicker 1/4mile times then there's little else you can do apart from a manifold and O2 housing (not sure if this is already included in your 'full exhaust' or not).

I wouldn't think you'd want/need to go with the EMS as suggested and you appear to already have cams. Having said that, the Tomei Poncams allegedly give very good gains low down. If yours is a daily driver, this might be a better proposition than 280's.

There is something to be gained thorugh the intercooler. However, larger doesn't always mean better. A larger ic will be laggy (as has been pointed out). What you want is something of a similar volume, perhaps slightly higher cooling efficiency but probably with a lower preddure drop across. The only one I know of that does that is the ARC079 (not 073wide) but that's not confirmed.

Apart from that you can go on a loss elimination programme - lighter everything incl. internals and ported everything.

I'm guessing however, that if you want to keep the stock turbo, you probably don't want to mess around with taking the engine apart though...

Want an all around fast car which would mostly just see the street and maybe the dragstrip. Huge lag is not wanted and i would like to have a bigger turbo slapped on without breaking the bank. The buschur turbo coming out will cost me close to 3000 when all is said and done. Need or would like to keep everything i have currently without much change. I guess playing around with the stocker will likely cost me more than just upgrading to something else in the long run. I would love to get crazy cams though
Old Oct 7, 2006, 09:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a dream the other night that there will be a new bolt on turbo available for the EVO within the next couple of months capable of 450whp using the stock manifold. Keep your eyes out around Dec or Jan.

jeff

Quick Reply: How to get more appreciable gains from stock turbo?