Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Buschur Racing Or HPF GT35R Kit? HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2006, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
I think they are both the same EXACT turbo's made by garrett...what the hell is the difference besides price? You can't sit here and tell me that the freaking exhaust manifold & piping are going to make that much of a difference. Buschur is way over priced. Power is power. Getting a good quarter mile time is directly proportional to POWER. If an evo makes good power it is going to get a good quarter mile time, provided nothing breaks and the driver is capabale. Lets stop arguing over dumb ****. Why not buy JUST the turbo and fab up everything else yourself? For the price Buschur is charging you could almost buy a tig welder and do up your own kit for less money!
Not so fast, grasshopper. Let's add it up: Hafe manifold and O2 housing (both cast, like Buschurs, but different manufacturer) cost $950 at the cheapest price you can find them; Garrett GT35R turbo costs $1200 (at least); Tial 44mm wastegate $350; that leaves $500 to cover the low profile cooling fan, oil feed, oil return, fittings, bolts, gaskets, overhead, research and investing significant $ in the cost of the molds to produce the manifolds, stocking parts, answering phones, and hopefully making enough of a profit to want to stay in business servicing guys like you and me.

If you have enough skill to design, build a mold, and cast your own SS manifold and O2 housing, and enough time to invest in doing it, you'll be able to save $950. If you want to go with a SS header, you'll have to design it, source the material, cut it and weld the header and O2 housing, and you can save about $1400 from the price of that kit. Of course, that assumes that you have the equipment to do either. TIG welders are not cheap. Hell, a good auto dimming welding mask is $350 by itself. I'm guessing you're not planning to build your own turbo or wastegate from scratch. Either way, you can see that nobody's retiring on selling you a kit, my friend, at least at the current "sale" and "group buy" prices.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think they are both the same EXACT turbo's made by garrett...what the hell is the difference besides price? You can't sit here and tell me that the freaking exhaust manifold & piping are going to make that much of a difference. Buschur is way over priced. Power is power. Getting a good quarter mile time is directly proportional to POWER. If an evo makes good power it is going to get a good quarter mile time, provided nothing breaks and the driver is capabale. Lets stop arguing over dumb ****. Why not buy JUST the turbo and fab up everything else yourself? For the price Buschur is charging you could almost buy a tig welder and do up your own kit for less money!
Buschur is overpriced? They have the cheapest 35R kit out for the evo dont they?
Old Oct 6, 2006, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The turbos are NOT the same. The HPF turbo has slightly different internals. but yes this post is getting old. Either turbo will produce massive power gains when tuned. I would go with the HPF kit that markourn is selling only due to the fact of the price he is selling it at. HPF does have an overpriced turbo kit when it comes down to it but all companies are selling expensive turbo kits. I think that phoenixturbo has the cheapest 35r kit out and its the peak boost kit. It doesnt really matter though. Go with whatever you feel comfortable with all of them will give you a smile on your face after you install and get a tune
Old Oct 6, 2006, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'dgo with the BR kit. It will make great power and hold up to major stress and abuse due to the cast mani--it's the ideal design for a road raced car.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jax419
Buschur is overpriced? They have the cheapest 35R kit out for the evo dont they?
All Evo turbo kits are overpriced. I can get my friend to tig weld me a manifold and save 3 grand. The turbo themselves are only about $1000.00 people. Why are these kits going for $3000-$5000?
Old Oct 6, 2006, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All Evo turbo kits are overpriced. I can get my friend to tig weld me a manifold and save 3 grand. The turbo themselves are only about $1000.00 people. Why are these kits going for $3000-$5000?
because of the time and engineering that is put into them?
Old Oct 6, 2006, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Because these companies are businesses, not charities.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by -=SPECTRE=-
Because these companies are businesses, not charities.
lol i hear this all the time. I own a electrical company. I had a client ask why cant you just have your apprentice wire my house vs a journeyman electrician to save me $. Cant pay the bills long if ya dont make a profit
Old Oct 6, 2006, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe I'll start selling kits at $1500.00 instead of $5000.00
Old Oct 6, 2006, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Becuase Sonicfadz doesn't know anything about anything is my .02. Buschur consistantly has some of the lowest prices around!!

Compare them to AMS and you be the judge case closed.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

What??????? Do yuou know anything???? BR's 35r kit is $2995 lol....Name another company cheaper that sells a kit this complete?! I am ordering it in about a week....I will take a look at the HPF kit first though...I know John Reed...his tunes a few cars here in Boise so I may talk to him and see what he knows about this kit...if the BR truly spools 800 -1000rpm sooner I know what my choise will be..
Old Oct 6, 2006, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Instead of wasting a perfectly good $3000, instead I'm getting this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Garre...QQcmdZViewItem
($1200)

And welding up my own pipe! BOO SHAKA!

If you are really lazy, and cannot weld, here is a less expensive GT35R kit than Buschur and Horsepower freaks:

http://www.himni-racing.com/index.ph...roducts_id=720
($2,690.00)

The above mentioned turbos are not garrett knockoffs, they are the same ones Buschur and HPF are using. It also BOLTS UP TO THE STOCK CAST MANIFOLD.

Last edited by sonicnofadz; Oct 6, 2006 at 03:46 PM.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by joeymia
because of the time and engineering that is put into them?

$1000 for the turbos lol....Yeah if you have wholesale with pte or garret...whgich I know I don't lol
Old Oct 6, 2006, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tony gibson
$1000 for the turbos lol....Yeah if you have wholesale with pte or garret...whgich I know I don't lol
$1200.00
Old Oct 6, 2006, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CO_VR4
Not so fast, grasshopper. Let's add it up: Hafe manifold and O2 housing (both cast, like Buschurs, but different manufacturer) cost $950 at the cheapest price you can find them; Garrett GT35R turbo costs $1200 (at least); Tial 44mm wastegate $350; that leaves $500 to cover the low profile cooling fan, oil feed, oil return, fittings, bolts, gaskets, overhead, research and investing significant $ in the cost of the molds to produce the manifolds, stocking parts, answering phones, and hopefully making enough of a profit to want to stay in business servicing guys like you and me.

If you have enough skill to design, build a mold, and cast your own SS manifold and O2 housing, and enough time to invest in doing it, you'll be able to save $950. If you want to go with a SS header, you'll have to design it, source the material, cut it and weld the header and O2 housing, and you can save about $1400 from the price of that kit. Of course, that assumes that you have the equipment to do either. TIG welders are not cheap. Hell, a good auto dimming welding mask is $350 by itself. I'm guessing you're not planning to build your own turbo or wastegate from scratch. Either way, you can see that nobody's retiring on selling you a kit, my friend, at least at the current "sale" and "group buy" prices.
See my above post. Ahh yeah actually I do have access to a good tig machine and equipment (for free).