Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Only 12 PSI! What is wrong?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2006, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only 12 PSI! What is wrong?

Well the EVO 8 is running at only 12-13 psi for some reason. It was studdering for a while till we took off the AMS MBC, then it started to run smooth, but still ran at 12 PSI. We hooked up stock controller, and it stil only boost at 12 PSI. I need to know what we can check for to get the PSI back up to 18 PSI stock. If people coud give a list of what to chcek or what to look or to get the boost abck up. Please.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

kinda sounds like your wategate is stuck open or closed (unsure which one) or your boost solenoid is not working
Old Oct 9, 2006, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're seeing base wastegate pressure, which so common, I don't even have to read your post to know what's wrong. Did you not check the other 1000 threads where people were freaking out about running 11 or 12 psi? No? Oh well, I guess 99% of noobs don't bother searching these days.

You have a basic installation error. I don't know what was wrong when you had the AMS MBC installed (not the greatest MBC, btw), but I do know what's wrong now that you have it set back to stock. You can ONLY use the 100% OEM boost lines when trying to utilize the Boost Control Solenoid in the pursuit of stock boost. If you don't, then you get base wastegate pressure, which is 11-12psi, because there are no pills in the lines to regulate the boost at ~19psi with a taper to 16psi.

This is incredibly simple, and I have lost track of how many times I've answered this same problem. It's almost like a cookie cutter thread where the same thing happens a few hundred times, and the people write the exact same thing. Re-install your actual STOCK LINES in the proper configuration (red-tipped short hose goes to WGA) to get stock boost, which is 19psi (03-04) or 20psi (05-06), not 18psi (0-nothing). If you want to have the MBC installed, which should be a simple thing to do, then re-install it properly and be sure it's not set to crazy boost levels.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:22 AM

ok i will try

Ok I will try this and let you know what is going on.