Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

4g63 supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2006, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
4g63 supercharger?

Does anyone know if its possible to twin charge an Evo... My friend has a Cobalt SS/SC and I love the low end torque it has... but i love every aspect of a turbo, except lag..... would a stroker kit yield more low end torque then what a supercharge 4g63 would have..... Is it worth the hassle to get the performance of a twin charged Evo?
any expert in this field or anyone know who makes a kit that would work with the new MIVEC motor.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I heard that theyre hard to tune...almost not worth it...one person on the boards tried it but I didnt read what happened to his car when it was done IF it was done at all.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

I do believe that project got suspended until this winter. Too many things kept breaking and he just wanted a car that he could enjoy. I believe he went 42r for the race season.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

sure why not.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Here...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...haust+manifold
Old Oct 10, 2006, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

anyone have an idea of where to buy a kit for the evo IX or at least a modle of the 4g63 that might mount up
Old Oct 10, 2006, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

dude just get a 20g..
ull b happy with the quick spool.. and ull b able to make good boost!
Old Oct 10, 2006, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pure Playaer
dude just get a 20g..
ull b happy with the quick spool.. and ull b able to make good boost!
um, "making good boost"?

do you mean make good numbers to go along with that "quick spool"?
Old Oct 10, 2006, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

its not the boost that i want... I was bread on V8 power... I will never go back to a NA car but i was just wondering how to getmore lowend torque out of the motor. I have already planned to increase displacement to what liter i dont know. But I really dont like that coming off the line my car is slower then my civic and when it goes boost its faster then my buddies vette..... I am just looking into the options.... Its not a serious descision yet. Even if i find the right stuff to build the motor, i still need to see if the performance gained is worth it versus the stroker. I wouldnt run both at the same time however it would be interesting to see how much a 4g could handle....
Old Oct 10, 2006, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Thats just Looney Tunes ! Just upgrade your turbo system and you will be pleased.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by joseph143
But I really dont like that coming off the line my car is slower then my civic and when it goes boost its faster then my buddies vette.....
Launch in boost.

Seriously though, get an exaust, MBC, air filter and a reflash, and THEN let us know if You're still unhappy.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Don't do it! Trust me.

I'm the one who built the twin charged Evo. It was an interesting project and it did work but it took a lot of time and money. We had it running in the mid 10's in the 1/4 mile but never came close to maxing out its potential. We made about 750 crank HP but it had the potential to make much more if we could have only gotten the engine to stay together. I went through three engines over the course of this project.

The car broke often due to big low end torque. I never had any issues with the twin charger system itself but I had constant issues with blown clutches, blown headgaskets etc.

The only reason that I attempted to do this was in an effort to compensate for my altitude issues as I live in Denver. At this altitude it's very difficult to spool a large turbo.

If you're going for 750 HP or less you'll be very happy with some of the BB turbos that are currently available. You'll save a lot of time and money. A properly engineered, big HP, twin charged system is very difficult to build.

I lost interest in the car and sold it to AMS a while back.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sharkbite2000
Thats just Looney Tunes ! Just upgrade your turbo system and you will be pleased.
And what might he buy that spools faster than stock?
Old Oct 10, 2006, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

First off... I have a daily driver.... By coming off the line slower then my civic i mean on the street... red light to red lauches arent very healthy for any car... amazingly my civic did handle it well though... I am not looking for a huge horse power motor... my goal when i first built the car was 400 crank horse.... after damn near meeting that in just the first four months of owning it i decided to build the bottom end of the power band... something a turbo cant do... Turbo lag is the ultimate foreplay... but why have foreplay when you can get straight to the real thing first.

Last edited by joseph143; Oct 10, 2006 at 09:12 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by joseph143
its not the boost that i want... I was bread on V8 power... I will never go back to a NA car but i was just wondering how to getmore lowend torque out of the motor. I have already planned to increase displacement to what liter i dont know. But I really dont like that coming off the line my car is slower then my civic and when it goes boost its faster then my buddies vette..... I am just looking into the options.... Its not a serious descision yet. Even if i find the right stuff to build the motor, i still need to see if the performance gained is worth it versus the stroker. I wouldnt run both at the same time however it would be interesting to see how much a 4g could handle....
I was also bred on V-8 power and you just can't compare the two. Our little 4 bangers will never have that low end grunt. I would look into a stroker motor if you want more low end. Actually your IX already has better low end response compared to my 03 VIII.

Last edited by EvoTio; Oct 10, 2006 at 09:41 PM.

Quick Reply: 4g63 supercharger?