Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Lightened flywheel or not?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2006, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightened flywheel or not?

I just got an act clutch because mine is slipping pretty bad. I have an 05 evo with 20k miles on it. Do you think my stock flywheel is messed up or can I just resurface it? Also I cannot decide if I should just get the flywheel anyway.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would say resurface your stock one.... the stoch flywheel weight keep the momentum of the engine up during shifts.... a friend has a lightend one and it caused a lot of tranny clatter and engine drops rpms very quick during a shift
Old Oct 11, 2006, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by idriveaevo
i would say resurface your stock one.... the stoch flywheel weight keep the momentum of the engine up during shifts.... a friend has a lightend one and it caused a lot of tranny clatter and engine drops rpms very quick during a shift
If you are driving hard, and shifting fast it won't drop that much, also the chatter is probably the clutch not the flywheel.
That said I love my new lightened flywheel! I heel to toe and just blip the throttle it revs up very quickly, unbelivevable and it also causes the boost to build quicker
Old Oct 11, 2006, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I have Gruppe-S lightened flywheel. With the ACT performance street disc and HD preassur plate. I love the set up. Its a little louder than stock but very streetable and makes my car happy
Old Oct 11, 2006, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
I have Gruppe-S lightened flywheel. With the ACT performance street disc and HD preassur plate. I love the set up. Its a little louder than stock but very streetable and makes my car happy
Are you cammed? I just dont want to stall.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You have to decide what the car is for. Drag racing requires a decent amount of weight on the flywheel in order for a good launch (too light and your launch will bog because you will have no rotational inertia built up) however very light flywheels are GREAT for road racing (you will accelerate and deaccelerate faster with the lighter flywheel, because you will have less rotational inertia)
Old Oct 11, 2006, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check out this thread, this guy was asking the same question about lightened flywheels https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh....php?t=224083.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
You have to decide what the car is for. Drag racing requires a decent amount of weight on the flywheel in order for a good launch (too light and your launch will bog because you will have no rotational inertia built up) however very light flywheels are GREAT for road racing (you will accelerate and deaccelerate faster with the lighter flywheel, because you will have less rotational inertia)
I do both. Mostly street racing. I was thinking about the act or gruppe-s which are both 10.5 pounds. Do you think I should go a little heavier like the act streetlite which is 13lbs? That might give me some of the best of both worlds. My main concern is that I take out the clutch and the flywheel is toast.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RevMoto
I just got an act clutch because mine is slipping pretty bad. I have an 05 evo with 20k miles on it. Do you think my stock flywheel is messed up or can I just resurface it? Also I cannot decide if I should just get the flywheel anyway.
I'd recommend at least resurfacing the stock flywheel. Chances are it will not cost you a huge amount of money and will be good for the new clutch.

I'm not familiar with ACT clutches, but there may be good reasons for a new, lighter flywheel. Basically, the clutch itself may actually be heavier than the stock. The net effect of your clutch assembly is the rotational inertia of the clutch+flywheel so if you have a triple, say, it will weigh more than the stock clutch and some degree of flywheel lightening will be needed just to keep the same amount of inertia.

Secondly, there are different degrees of 'lightweight' when it comes to flywheels. If you're driving on the streets (and your clutch is nothing outrageous like an oversized triple plate metalic clutch or something) I'd say go with the stock fly wheel or a slightly lighter one. Basically there is a balance to be found between good acceleration/deceleration and drivability. If you are a hardcore racer then go as light as you can but be preapared to rev/slip the living daylights out of it in traffic... and yes, you got to shift rather more quickly.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

just though of this - during disassembly, you could weigh the stock flywheel and stock clutch and compare that to the stock flywheel+new clutch then make up your mind about which flywheel you're going to get.

note: weight alone is not a complete indicator for flywheel inertia. But assuming they're both plate-shaped and generally flat from centre to rim then it should be good enough.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by RevMoto
Are you cammed? I just dont want to stall.

No not till next month or early december. no stalling at all revs fall right back to 900 rpm or so never dip low or anything like that
Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by x838nwy
note: weight alone is not a complete indicator for flywheel inertia. But assuming they're both plate-shaped and generally flat from centre to rim then it should be good enough.
This is actually a very good point. Mass rotating at the most outer circumferences will be traveling faster (and hence have more rotational inertia). However most flywheels are indeed disc (flat) shaped (including the Evo's) so this can be neglected. If you plan on road racing and street racing, I would just keep the stocker, and have it re-surfaced. I do not recommend street racing, however I cannot say I haven't done my share
Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

If your lookinf for 13lbs ish... Stay stock .. stock is what 13-15 lbs .. Myself, I have a 6 puck unsprung, with a XD pressure plate and a fidanza lightened flywheel.. and I LOVE IT!
Old Oct 12, 2006, 04:48 PM

Ok, remember the flywheel is attached to the crankshaft guys.......

So if your going 2.3/2.4L then definately get the lighter flywheel....

Also you have to remember if the new clutch & Pressure plate you get is heavier then the stock gear, again going to a lighter flywheel won't be so bad
Old Oct 12, 2006, 09:47 PM

anyone ever weigh a stock one?

Quick Reply: Lightened flywheel or not?