Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Is it tuned rigorously & conservative ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2006, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's easy to say , but here where i live tuning is not so developed as yours . We have so litle
tuners and they dont have so much expirience and tehnology to do something like ecu reflash . They do just -called- chip tuning on mostly european car . So i need an aftermarket ecu that i will tune by myself (or not). And all parts that i want i need to order from other countries .
Also this is only place where i can speake like you . If i woud ask some of tuners "How much turbo had air/flow on that BMW that you tune last day?" , they woud look at me and say " WHAT ? ? ? " There is how they do here and becouse of that I woud really love to open some kind of shop & garage next year but I need help in many ways !
Old Oct 13, 2006, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sONE_SR
Thease are preparations of aplications that I will install sooner as I can when I get my EVO IX !
Correct me if I am somewheare wrong or if I miss something ! I want to use my car for 2-3 years and drive a daily and some race events !

AEM Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
HKS Fuel rail
HKS Fuel injectors 680cc (top feed)
Blitz SUS power intake
Buddy Club Racing Cam Shaft Spec II Plus (In. 10.2 272, Ex. same)
Greddy Oil cooler kit
HKS Twin Power DLI II
AEM Peak & Hold Injector Driver
NRG EPAC Voltage Stabilizer
Exedy Hiper Twin clutch kit
HKS Hi Power Carbon-Ti Muffler
HKS Downpipe
Fujitsubo Front Pipe
Borla Header
HKS SSQV blow-off valve
HKS External wastgate (?psi) I dont know how much pressure I need
Greddy Turbo relief valve
HKS Intercooler
Greddy E-menage Ultimate or HKS F-CON V Pro 3.2
Carbing Front Uper Strut Tower Bar w/ MCS
Blitz i-color Boost conroller
Apex-i Turbo Timer
TSW Montage 19x8.5 / 5:114.3 / 38
I am looking back over your modlist and there are some relatively expensive items that you don´t really need and won´t help produce any power anyway.The Evo IX has a higher volume fuel pump than the Evo VIII and with your mods you may not need to upgrade your fuel pump. However if you do so, most of us would recommend the relatively inexpensive Walbro 342 pump.

You do not need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator whatsoever. It is nice to be able to monitor your fuel pressure and a gauge might help you diagnose a failing fuel pump, but it ain´t necessary for tuning the Evo or for extracting horsepower.

You also won´t be needing the larger internal diameter fuel rail or the larger injectors for your proposed mods and on the stock turbo. I wasn´t aware that Buddy Club had released cams specifically for the Evo IX. But, if they have then it would probably be a good mod eventhough there are no dyno results that I am aware of.

An intake is like a woman....it´s a very personal choice, eventhough on this board it is a widely accepted fact that the stock factory airbox and filter will flow enough air to support 400 WHP. A larger oil cooler may help keep oil temps down on a turbocharged car but the GREDDY stuff is way overpriced and you probably get the same cooling from a large B&M stacked plate cooler for a lot less money.

The HKS DLI II is a addition if you´re gonna be revving high and running high boost levels. You don´t need that peak hold driver with the stock injectors. The twin clutch is worthwhile. The HKS is a 2.75 inch diameter DP, I think and is a bit overpriced. The FullRace header is the very best piece. Keep the JDM IX metal DV.

With the stock, integrally gated turbo you won´t need a remote gate as has been pointed out. Turbo Relief valve....I don´t know this item. HKS intercooler is more expensive and less efficient than some of our best U.S. intercoolers. Evos already have a front strut tower brace. Don´t need a turbo timer....just let your engine idle before shutting down.

I´m sure the Blitz is a good EBC, but for the money a manual such as the Forge or Hallman is all you´ll need. The F-Con is not much used on this forum. You might wanna look into some of the newer ECU tuning devices such as ECUFlash, ECUPLUS and there are others if you want to tune your own. Good luck

Last edited by sparky; Oct 14, 2006 at 07:11 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
It's easy to say , but here where i live tuning is not so developed as yours . We have so litle
tuners and they dont have so much expirience and tehnology to do something like ecu reflash . They do just -called- chip tuning on mostly european car . So i need an aftermarket ecu that i will tune by myself (or not). And all parts that i want i need to order from other countries .
Also this is only place where i can speake like you . If i woud ask some of tuners "How much turbo had air/flow on that BMW that you tune last day?" , they woud look at me and say " WHAT ? ? ? " There is how they do here and becouse of that I woud really love to open some kind of shop & garage next year but I need help in many ways !
Search for EcuFlash and EcuScan + data cable (what is it 90 USD now?) and you can flash your own factory ECU. Or get a flashes emailed to you (or get a mail in base line flash) and then you can download them into your car. Then you can learn to tweak all the curves and get the most out of your car.

Or just do a mail in flash for TBE, Cone intake, MBC - that will get you 330ish DJ whp.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

Thanx very much ! I agree with sparky , and doing list of changes and correcting some things ! I was too fast reacting when i saw some mods for evo and when I finish I will post them !
Old Oct 14, 2006, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

I was thinking and this shoud be finally mods !

Blitz SUS Power Intake
Turbo XS Intercooler
Injen Intercooler Pipe kit
Greddy RS BOV
HKS Carbon-Ti Catback 3"
Turbo XS 3" Downpipe
Turbo XS 3" Cat Delete
Borla C.C. Header
ACT Heavy Duty Pressure Plate w/ Street Disk & 6-Puck
Oil Cooler (don't know which one)
Cams (don't know which one){Buddy Club was for VIII-sorry-}
Blitz I-Color SBC 1.
Apex-i Super AFC NEO 2. (on 1.& 2. are my eyes on)
HKS Twin power DLI II
HKS Hipermax RS Coilovers
TSW Montage 19x8 / 5:114.3 / 38mm
Falken FK-451 High Perfomance Street Tires F/ 235/35/19 R/ 245/40/19

And I will figureout how to do ecu reflas (EcuFlash & EcuScan)

What is your thinking ?

Last edited by sONE_SR; Oct 14, 2006 at 04:12 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Blitz SUS Power Intake
Turbo XS Intercooler
Injen Intercooler Pipe kit
Greddy RS BOV
HKS Carbon-Ti Catback 3"
Turbo XS 3" Downpipe
Turbo XS 3" Cat Delete
Borla C.C. Header
ACT Heavy Duty Pressure Plate w/ Street Disk & 6-Puck
Blitz I-Color SBC 1.
HKS Twin power DLI II

What is your thinking ?
Still man save your self the $100-$200 and keep the stock dv. Theres really is no need to get a bov. Doesnt the injen ic pipes come with there intake?
Old Oct 14, 2006, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

Yes , but without filter ! Ok , say I dont do it , but then what I need to do to make original louder ?

Last edited by sONE_SR; Oct 14, 2006 at 05:30 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Yes , but without filter ! Ok , say I dont do it , but then what I need to do to make original louder ?
Most of the guys on here are trying to steer you away from aftermarket blow-off valves because in the 1st place the stock Mitsubishi diverter valve is a good piece and should hold boost o.k. up to 25-27#.

Also, the atermarket BOV's usually introduce tuning and drivability problems. This is especially true if they vent to the atmosphere. Finally, they don't want you to misspend your hard earned money on items that don't produce a measurable increase in horsepower.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 12:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You pur a lot of junk into your car.To archive ~340whp,all you need is : TBE,Flash,BR Cone Filter,MBC,Boost Gauge with fitting,Walbro(Stock IX pump is bad).For flash,you can get Tactrix Cable + ECUFlash Software + EVOlog and you can tune it yourself or get e-mail tune.HKS TBE is junk,it is overprice and taper down.Get a BR TBE(Price is ok for full TBE,proven to work well and very light).BOV is not needed.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

Ok , you got me now !

Blitz SUS Power Intake
Turbo XS Intercooler
Injen Intercooler Pipe kit Out
Greddy RS BOV Out
HKS Carbon-Ti Catback 3"
Turbo XS 3" Downpipe
Turbo XS 3" Cat Delete
Borla C.C. Header Out In FullRace
ACT Heavy Duty Pressure Plate w/ Street Disk & 6-Puck Out
Blitz I-Color SBC 1.
HKS Twin power DLI II

What is your thinking ?
Anithing more or less to do ? And I am thinkink on some sway bars, underbraces and yours sugestion !

Last edited by sONE_SR; Oct 15, 2006 at 08:11 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ang Wen Yan
You pur a lot of junk into your car.To archive ~340whp,all you need is : TBE,Flash,BR Cone Filter,MBC,Boost Gauge with fitting,Walbro(Stock IX pump is bad).For flash,you can get Tactrix Cable + ECUFlash Software + EVOlog and you can tune it yourself or get e-mail tune.HKS TBE is junk,it is overprice and taper down.Get a BR TBE(Price is ok for full TBE,proven to work well and very light).BOV is not needed.
This is good advice. Make only a few basic mods at first: TBE exhaust, MBC, Walbro pump, K&N panel replacement filter and the ECUFlash and EVOlog. Do these basic mods and do the datalogging and learn how to program as you go along. After you feel comfortable with the ECUFlash software and your datalogs reflect a good tune....then you can do some more extensive modding.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=Ang Wen Yan]You pur a lot of junk into your car.To archive ~340whp,all you need is : TBE,Flash,BR Cone Filter,MBC,Boost Gauge with fitting,Walbro(Stock IX pump is bad).For flash,you can get Tactrix Cable + ECUFlash Software + EVOlog and you can tune it yourself or get e-mail tune.HKS TBE is junk,it is overprice and taper down.Get a BR TBE(Price is ok for full TBE,proven to work well and very light).BOV is not needed.
[/QUOTE]
This is good advice. Make only a few basic mods at first: TBE exhaust, MBC, Walbro pump, K&N panel replacement filter and the ECUFlash and EVOlog. Do these basic mods and do the datalogging and learn how to program as you go along. After you feel comfortable with the ECUFlash software and your datalogs reflect a good tune....then you can do some more ext ensive modding.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

I do it like that , but I think this will be finally mods , no more !
Old Oct 15, 2006, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
THESE ARE THE MODS YOU NEED

1 - A quality Trubo Back Exhaust (TBE), I recommend Burschur or WORKS

2 - A quality custom tune, you can go to Dynoflash, AMS, Jestr, WORKS, Vishnu, etc.

3 - MBC (manual boost controller)

4 - Walbro fuel pump

That will make your car go faster then your crazy 10 billion dollar list of expensive Japanesse stuff.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 01:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
THESE ARE THE MODS YOU NEED

1 - A quality Trubo Back Exhaust (TBE), I recommend Burschur or WORKS

2 - A quality custom tune, you can go to Dynoflash, AMS, Jestr, WORKS, Vishnu, etc.

3 - MBC (manual boost controller)

4 - Walbro fuel pump

That will make your car go faster then your crazy 10 billion dollar list of expensive Japanesse stuff.
+100000000

Quick Reply: Is it tuned rigorously & conservative ?