Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Is it tuned rigorously & conservative ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2006, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Again...

Blitz SUS Power Intake

Bad filter - Apexi or K&N are good
Read: http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

Search: RMR or BR racing cone filters

Borla C.C. Header Out In FullRace

Dont need - search: BR ported and coated manifold and ported and coated O2

Oil Cooler (don't know which one)

Evos already come with one. Maybe thinking oil catch pan? Still dont need one.

Cams (don't know which one){Buddy Club was for VIII-sorry-}

Dont need with IX.

Apex-i Super AFC NEO 2. (on 1.& 2. are my eyes on)
HKS Twin power DLI II

Dont need SAFC, maybe on the DLI II (50/50 if it makes that big of a deal)

HKS Hipermax RS Coilovers

If you like spending money. Search more: there are better ones for the price.

TSW Montage 19x8 / 5:114.3 / 38mm
Falken FK-451 High Perfomance Street Tires F/ 235/35/19 R/ 245/40/19

19s will make you slower - weight more - more mass to spin and stop. And cost of tires (or tyres) in 19s gets $$$. 17s work fine.

Anithing more or less to do ? And I am thinkink on some sway bars, underbraces and yours sugestion !
Do you want to do lots of road racing (on track)? A good set of coil-overs or springs w/sway will be more than enough for daily driving. The stock underbraces work fine for 98% out there.

Get the car first - drive it get ~5000 miles on it, then see what you do or dont like. READ what everyone is saying mod wise - the IX has been modded, there is a simple, not every expensive way, or the crazy, cost lots of money way for same results.

Last edited by Smike; Oct 16, 2006 at 11:07 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by sONE_SR; Oct 18, 2006 at 01:24 PM. Reason: 2
Old Oct 18, 2006, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

I am concidering all of you guys , and thinking this will be it . If you have enything on mind give me at least few specifics brands if I am wrong . On this way I woud not be confused what to do or not !

Blitz I-Color SBC
HKS Twin Power DLI II

Apex-i Air Filter
Walbro 342
FullRace ProStock Ex. Manifold
Invidia High Flow O2 ~2.9"
BR 3" SS Downpipe
HKS 3" Carbon-Ti Catback (sound makes me feel good)
EcuFlash

TEIN Ultimate Spec Circut Master or
KW Competition 2

Defi boost , a/f , oil temp gauges
Old Oct 18, 2006, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Het man, I live in Istanbul and had to get some parts from the states and some through a HKS distributor. You can see my sig for the parts that I have installed so far. The below list is pretty good to start with, but since you live in Europe, you cant get a custom flash from someone in the US I would say the most important thing (besides getting the parts witout getting ripped off) would be to find a good local tuner. if you don't know where to find one, you might want to consult with the best shop in your area where they do evos and subarus. I talked to professional rally drivers and the best shop in my area to find a tuner. as far as parts go, I think most would consider the parts on my sig "good value for money" mods.

Oh, about the fuel pump - it is only around 100$ and is good insurance, so get one.

Once you have the parts on my sig, diminishing returns start to settle in. I chose not to get certain mods that offer decent HP for value such as:

- alcohol injection (would be too costly for me if something goes wrong)
- intake (dont like the sound + I could almost swear that I felt some improvement with the works drop in filter, but it might have been just slightly better throttle response due to cleaner and slightly freer flowing filter vs dirtier stock filter)
- intercooler (might get 5-10HP? for 700$ + shipping + duty?)
- manifold (most crack according to my tuner/shop. though about full race but my o2 housing does not use stock hangers, so the stainless steel manifold would be carrying lots of weight $1000+overseas shipping+duty for 10HP and it might crack. some say that you should get a cover as rain is one of the major culpits for cracks)

SO to sum it up FIND A GOOD LOCAL TUNER in serbia

On top of the stuff I got in my sig (which gave me 75HP over stock baseline in 20C hotter weather) I ordered GCS cams - taking a gamble on these

Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
THESE ARE THE MODS YOU NEED

1 - A quality Trubo Back Exhaust (TBE), I recommend Burschur or WORKS

2 - A quality custom tune, you can go to Dynoflash, AMS, Jestr, WORKS, Vishnu, etc.

3 - MBC (manual boost controller)

4 - Walbro fuel pump

That will make your car go faster then your crazy 10 billion dollar list of expensive Japanesse stuff.

Last edited by Bosshog; Oct 18, 2006 at 01:59 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

I will do my own custom flash . You can do it by yourself . All you need is data log cable and EcuFlash software and you can get the flash in mail end tune it . For shiping I will see . And i can't find good tuner for evo ( they do mostly european cars , and they woud agree to do something on car like evo but they don't know nothing and - mess hole around) !
You don't have boost contoller ? (you can get pretty much on this mode)
Old Oct 18, 2006, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sONE_SR
Blitz I-Color SBC
HKS Twin Power DLI II
Apex-i Air Filter
KW Competition 2

You'll probably resent me for saying what I'm about to say.....but I'll say it at the risk of being labeled tactless. The above listed mods are way expensive and provide little in the way of horsepower for the amount of money you will spend to buy them.

If you add up the purchase price of the lot, it will probably total about $5000.00 U.S.D., for which amount, you can buy a complete AMS or other high quality turbo kit. So, you could buy the kit and all your other mods not included above and have a completely different animal. Just my opinion.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Thease are preparations of aplications that I will install sooner as I can when I get my EVO IX !
Correct me if I am somewheare wrong or if I miss something ! I want to use my car for 2-3 years and drive a daily and some race events !

xxxxxAEM Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
xxxxxxHKS Fuel rail
xxxxxxHKS Fuel injectors 680cc (top feed)
Blitz SUS power intake
Buddy Club Racing Cam Shaft Spec II Plus (In. 10.2 272, Ex. same)
xGreddy Oil cooler kit
HKS Twin Power DLI II
xAEM Peak & Hold Injector Driver
xNRG EPAC Voltage Stabilizer
Exedy Hiper Twin clutch kit
HKS Hi Power Carbon-Ti Muffler
(just buy a 3") HKS Downpipe
Fujitsubo Front Pipe
xxxxxxxxBorla Header
xxxxxxxxHKS SSQV blow-off valve
xxxxxxHKS External wastgate (?psi) I dont know how much pressure I need
xGreddy Turbo relief valve
xHKS Intercooler
xGreddy E-menage Ultimate or HKS F-CON V Pro 3.2
Carbing Front Uper Strut Tower Bar w/ MCS
Blitz i-color Boost conroller
Apex-i Turbo Timer
TSW Montage 19x8.5 / 5:114.3 / 38
Dude lot of stuff you dont need there. Lot of money youre going to spend for no reason. Anything with an X is COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY.

Stock fuel system is completely sufficient for the stock turbo. Also, you dont need a different BOV (unless u want a noise difference).
Old Oct 18, 2006, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

Yes , I can , but I don't wan't turbo kit . This is the way I like it more .
But why did you include suspension,eletronics and catback together for exchange for turbo ? (you include almoust everything)
In your way I will be needing another 5000$ to complete the car !
Old Oct 18, 2006, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
Dude lot of stuff you dont need there. Lot of money youre going to spend for no reason. Anything with an X is COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY.

Stock fuel system is completely sufficient for the stock turbo. Also, you dont need a different BOV (unless u want a noise difference).

Read last page !
Old Oct 19, 2006, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

+ HKS Ex. 272 Cam
Old Oct 19, 2006, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

I am concidering all of you guys , and thinking this will be it . If you have enything on mind give me at least few specifics brands if I am wrong . On this way I woud not be confused what to do or not !

Blitz I-Color SBC
HKS Twin Power DLI II

Apex-i Air Filter
Walbro 342
Invidia High Flow O2 ~2.9"
BR 3" SS Downpipe
EcuFlash

KW Competition 2

If your getting the Defi gauges make sure you get the good ones. The Defi-Ds have shown to be horribly inaccrurate. I wouldnt waste my money on an af gauge either... only a wideband. Boost is obvioulsy a necessity and oil temp is good to have since EVO doesnt have it stock.

Also, if this is the EXTENT of your future mod lists, Id ditch the HKS DLII. Its a great product but really uncessary for running pump gas on the stock turbo. Also, I think youd be much better off going with an Ebay 02 (or Buschur's 02 thats coated) over the Invidia. Invidia one is more expensive and the 02 sensor cable has to be stretched and all this other nonsense. All that, and to boot it doesnt make any additional power over the Ebay/Buschur one.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

I got tuned with ecutek and it does not require a seperate boost controller. the ecu controls the boost. I can hold almost 1.5bar at higher revs in upper gears

I will do my own custom flash . You can do it by yourself . All you need is data log cable and EcuFlash software and you can get the flash in mail end tune it . For shiping I will see . And i can't find good tuner for evo ( they do mostly european cars , and they woud agree to do something on car like evo but they don't know nothing and - mess hole around) !
You don't have boost contoller ? (you can get pretty much on this mode)
Old Oct 20, 2006, 09:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
If your getting the Defi gauges make sure you get the good ones. The Defi-Ds have shown to be horribly inaccrurate. I wouldnt waste my money on an af gauge either... only a wideband. Boost is obvioulsy a necessity and oil temp is good to have since EVO doesnt have it stock.

Also, if this is the EXTENT of your future mod lists, Id ditch the HKS DLII. Its a great product but really uncessary for running pump gas on the stock turbo. Also, I think youd be much better off going with an Ebay 02 (or Buschur's 02 thats coated) over the Invidia. Invidia one is more expensive and the 02 sensor cable has to be stretched and all this other nonsense. All that, and to boot it doesnt make any additional power over the Ebay/Buschur one.

For O2 change my mind and I am going for BR Ported & Jet Coated O2 and Stock Turbine Housing (?) . About Defi it will be BF boost, EGT & oil temp w/ control unit II ! And i am concidering DLI off !

Thanks for opinion to all !

Last edited by sONE_SR; Oct 21, 2006 at 03:34 PM.