Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Engine Decel Whine, Not Tranny or TC

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2006, 08:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Decel Whine, Not Tranny or TC

I've done quite a bit of searching, but couldn't find a thread that decribed the new noise that's developed with my car.

I changed the oil in my car for the second time this past weekend. The car now has ~2800 miles on it. First oil change was at ~850 miles. Both oil changes have used the factory Mitsubishi filter and ~4.5 quarts of Mobil 1 10W30.

After the oil change this weekend I noticed a new noise in the engine. When the engine revs above ~2500 to 3000 RPM there's an odd, moderately noticeable whine noise as the engine decelererates. The best I can describe it is sort of like a turbine on a helicopter winding down along with the engine decelerating. It's not that loud, but I can hear it. I don't think it's turbo related. It sounds like it's comming from the exhaust side of the valve cover by the timing belt area.

It seems to be more noticable when the engine is warm. The sound is present both when the car is moving or not, and also both when in gear AND when the engine is revved in neutral. So I'm pretty confident it's not drivetrain related.

I've been over and over my oil change to make sure I didn't screw something up. Both the oil filter and drain plug are installed tightly and correctly. When I changed the oil I even filled up the filter with oil to help with dry startup. I even compared the Mobil 1 I have to a different quart I already had to make sure there wasn't something weird with the new oil I bought.

I'm stumped as to what could cause this. Is this just a normal noise for a relatively new 4G63? I know the 4G63 is a whiny, noisy engine. And of course my wife says, "I don't hear anything." So it's not THAT noticeable. But I'm kinda paranoid about new engine noises. Especially if they appear right after something like an oil change.

Should I be worried? Any ideas? Thanks
Old Oct 16, 2006, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Just a thought, but could something have pushed your exhaust out of whack creating an exhaust leak when you had the oil changed.

If you have a long piece of vaccume tube. Put one end in your ear and the other end where you'd expect the leak to be coming from (with the car running of course). You may hear the leak if you have one.

These cars have a lot of odd noises. It takes some getting used to.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a thought.. Do you happen to have a non stock radio, i know most of us do..

Sometimes the grounding wire on the new radios doesn't work as well as it should and you get a ground loop that you can hear from the alternator..

Not trying to say this is it just wanted to give another option.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 05:51 AM
Evolving Member

I have SSL so it's just the factory "Infinity" system. I suppose the exhaust leak thing is possible, but I didn't really touch anything other than the drain plug, the oil filter, and the oil filler cap.

I'll try and see if I can get a better idea of where the noise is comming from tonight after work, and in the mean time I'm just keeping a really close eye on the oil level.

Meh... it's probably just me being paranoid.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

Well it's now Thursday and the noise is still there. I've been keeping a really close eye on the oil level and it hasn't used any oil. I can't really tell where the noise is coming from. I tried the tube in your ear to try and hear where the noise is coming from, but I can't really hear it well enough when listening under the hood and reving the engine.

I had a VIII before my IX and it never made this noise. I know the normal turbo, drive train, power steering pump, etc noises and this is new and sounds disturbingly like metal on metal noise to me.

Anyway, it's got me worried enough that I'm going to change the oil again tonight with different Mobil 1 and a new oil filter. We'll see what happens.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Why not take it to the dealership and have the service manager listen to the noise? If it turns out to be something serious, then they'll take care of it under warranty. This way you avoid all the guesswork.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sparky
Why not take it to the dealership and have the service manager listen to the noise? If it turns out to be something serious, then they'll take care of it under warranty. This way you avoid all the guesswork.
Yeah, I try and avoid that option. If I can avoid having the dealer tinker with (and probably launch the f out of my car behind my back) I will. Plus, I know the service manager at my local Mitsu dealer and he has told me that his techs don't really see that many Evos.

Last edited by RedV; Oct 19, 2006 at 12:12 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Its the infamous dcel noise search the forum theres millons of posts dating back to 03. Mitsu released a technical bullitin calling it normal
Old Oct 19, 2006, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Its the infamous dcel noise search the forum theres millons of posts dating back to 03. Mitsu released a technical bullitin calling it normal
Really!? Wow... I have been searching, but so far all I've run across is the famous transfer case death whine.

THANKS!!
Old Oct 19, 2006, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Its not in the motor its in the drivetrain heres the link its on the thrid page

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...leration+noise
Old Oct 21, 2006, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

UPDATE:

Well, the car goes in to the dealer on Monday. After more research on EvoM and looking over my car I think I've got it figured out:

Here's a thread about others that have had this problem:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=88120

This definitely sounds like where the noise is coming from. I'm going to bring this to the dealer's attention on Monday and I guess we'll see how long it takes them to replace that pulley. I'm thinking it can't be too hard to get thet pulley out of there right?