Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Bad Decel Noise - have questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2006, 09:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad Decel Noise - have questions

I just got done getting my Tranny rebuilt. The dealer performed the TSB maintaince and installed an Exedy stage 1 05083 clutch with a resurfaced stock flywheel. In the process of breaking the car in at first I did not hear the noise. After around 100 miles I started getting a very bad noise on deceleration that sounded like rocks in the transmission, or a bad resonating noise that seemed to go away under 2500rpm. It will also go away when you push the clutch in at any speed. I was following break-in period and did not take the car to WOT.

The dealer is back into the trans again and said there are no problems. They installed a donor trans and the noise is still there.

My questions is, what does a failing t-case sound like? My car has 57k miles and is there any accounts of this being replaced under warranty? Previous to this clutch I had an ACT HDSS clutch. I was not any harder on the car than most, I don't race, launched a few times, although I don't feel I beat the crap out of this car.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
According to the EVO FAQ about drivetain noises which you can find here
https://www.evolutionm.net/features/...ofaqs&id=16#65

The bad transfer case sounds like an airplane from the front drivetrain. Visit the link for some more helpfull troubleshooting links on the TC even though personally i don't think thats the case.

First off I would think a bad transfer case wouldn't just make noises on decel, most likely on accel and if not always making noise. Secondly its disapears on certain rpms, to me that usually means a loose bolt like the tie bars, transmission mounts perhaps, even aftermarket downpipes can clatter on parts due to fitmit.

Check for something loose or very close to another part, try to locate exactly wher the noise appears to be coming from.

PS: I don't claim to be an expert so take all of this with a large dose of skeptism.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Mitsu installed my Exedy... when I recently swapped it to a ACT clutch - we found peices of the clutch had broken off in the housing. Pretty bad. You might have a bad throwout bearing too. Did they put in the correct fluids?
Old Oct 17, 2006, 09:35 PM
Former Sponsor

yes, they used Diaqueen and the proper fluids in the transmission. I did not ask them what they put in there but only assume that it is the right stuff.

Now when they put it back togerther I have a thought that they did not fill the t-case and/or did not put enough fluid into it. This is only a thought as obviously they won't admit to that although a lack of fluid could definately lead to a lot of extra noise.

This time around I ended up with an Exedy Stage 2 clutch which is Part # 05952 with a Exedy Flywheel Part # MF04. They still get the noise with this stuff which tells me it is something else, and not the clutch.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same problem since day one a couple of years ago. When I let off the gas I hear that same exact noise but if I just give it a bit of gas it goes away. I thought is was normal. At first I thought it was part of the exhaust hitting the driveshaft but i change to a completely different exhaust and its still there. I have always changed fluids with diaqueen in the transfer case and diff. I also used only bg syncroshift for the transmission. I changed fluieds every 15K.

Last edited by rcheung; Oct 20, 2006 at 11:40 AM. Reason: missing info
Old Oct 20, 2006, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

I have a noise when I let off the gas too. Either push in the clutch or give a hint of gas and it goes away. Sounds like metal loosely banging against each other. I thought it was my twin disk clutch chattering and wasn't too worried although it is annoying and makes the car sound messed up to passengers.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Its normal more noticeable after my clutch install. Heres the TSB from Mitsuhttps://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...leration+noise
Old Oct 20, 2006, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

After I changed my clutch from twin disk to single disk - the noise went away..the chatter went away....driving quality improved 100%
Old Oct 20, 2006, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

It's the Exedy clutch..i hate them...they all make noise. I'll never put another Exedy in my Evo again...the decel is embarassing, sound like the tranny is gonna dropout.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 08:43 PM
Former Sponsor

A bunch of money later I have some conclusions. Pictures will soon follow.

1. The stock OE clutch disc has a soon to be patented Exedy design where the center hub is actually designed to be quiet. If you are expecting to keep your drivetrain quiet then your only solution is to stick with a stock clutch. The technical explaination to this quiet is the fact that the springs have less torsional strength. This is one of the reasons it cannot handle high rpm shifting and may lock you out of gear.

2. The Exedy Stage 1 05083 clutch is a great clutch. My mishap was install error. I want to make that clear. I did not install the clutch personally, this is why it was not done right...ok I will lower my ego. But anyways the Stage 1 is a great upgrade if you plan to max out the stock turbo and also plan to not launch your car. The organic disc simply will not hold up, much like the stock disc. I personally installed one of these clutch and in this guys car it shifted great, sounded like stock, and held the power. Consider this clutch the road racing clutch. Furthermore, if you like to ease away from a stoplight like stock you want this clutch; it will not jerk and feels much like the stock unit with slightly more pedal effort, though less than the ACT.

3. The Exedy Stage 2 05952 4-puck Cerametallic is for the serious racer. In some ways more serious than those that go with the twin-disc. As recommend per Exedy I paired it with their Lightweight flywheel MF04 I believe. At this moment I have limited driving time with this clutch. Of the driving time I had I can attest that it requires lots of attention. Blipping the throttle and easing away from stoplights is a limited experience. Can you get used to this? Sure, although because of the super quick engagement I would say this clutch is a great choice for drag racing. You can shift super quick with it and it will take the abuse. Impressions may be improve if the clutch was fully broken in as this will help everything mesh together.

4. ACT HDSS is a great clutch. Based on several drives and installs I have yet to have one to give me a problem. Although it will allow you to drive like stock the heavy duty disc and pressure plate will greatly increase drivetrain wear. Also this clutch offers the highest pedal effort which is a testment to the strength of the unit. Probably too strong for most although a viable alternative to a stock disc. The center hub design on the disc is to blame as the spring design is most like stock and will not allow for the quick shifts that most are after. On a personal note I adjusted the clutch pedal all over the place and got lockout and bad shifts and all the like. This was accompanied with the stock flyhweel so rotational inertia should be null. Is it popular? Yes of course but only because you don't want spend an Exedy twin.

5. Exedy Twin HD & SD. A clutch that drives like stock. The benefit of the twin-disc is and any twin-disc that is that it will take abuse very well. The multi disc and pressure plate configuration can distribute the load and as more surface area to distribute heat. Also distrubuting the load will dramatically reduce drivetrain wear and extend overall clutch life. The extra money will seem like a downfall although when you consider a clutch set and lighter flywheel for $900 the difference is less than you might think. For waht you pay you can't forget that this is one of your main interfaces to dirving your car. It creates a mostly pleasureable experience no matter what you throw at it. The downsides will come to drivetrain noise, or better isolated as clutch noise. Although for most this is a null factor it still must be known.

6. Lighter flywheels. I have driven the Prostreet, Exedy, and an Ebay special. The stock piece is a good unit and fairly light considering. Although if you are not used to less inertia and more throttle blips then it may not be right for you. Most can overcome these downfalls for the benfit of faster throttle recovery through less rotational mass although if you have not had one it may require you to relearn driving your car again. I think with experience a better driver can take advantage of a lighter flywheel. We may all think we are better drivers although I have seen shifts slowed down because of the lack of matching shifts when coupled with a lightweight flywheel. Also the lighter mass can directly attribute to more decel noise and resonance.

In conclusion I do not know what I was after with this post. I have installed over a dozen clutches and driven at least twice as many EVO's. I am fully aware of my accusations and want it be known these are only opinions. My thoughts may change at a different time, but only because I gathered more information. I may also chose to come back and edit this post to update info.