Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My car "Grenaded"!! What let go??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2006, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^thats not the input shaft. thats the ring and pinion. The input shaft is different.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by althemean
^^thats not the input shaft. thats the ring and pinion. The input shaft is different.
god i feel stupid now

Thanks for pointing that out
Old Oct 25, 2006, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RoadSpike
god i feel stupid now

Thanks for pointing that out
Nice photos though!! That looks like a clutch to me, so who is the idiot now? jk.

Here is the scoop. As most of you know my mods, and that I am SHOP loyal, there was never a question on where I would get my next "part" wheather that be Exedy, or Team Rip. Since it was the TC that has the problem, I am SO GLAD I got my Transfer Case from Team Rip: http://www.teamrip.com/index.html . I called him up, and yes, it did take me 4 trys to get thru. (he was helping someone with a question I am sure). And we talked for a long time, as he is always helpful in helping WHOEVER needs it. God, I appreciate that!

I guess the input shaft which broke, and stripped out, (the short one) is not a "RARE" event, as he has them laying around his shop, waiting for repairs. They are NOT only HIS, but were done by various other reputable shops, and this just appears to be the NEW achilles heel on the TC's which were strengthened. If something is going to break on these non-stock TC's, THIS IS THE PART! I will have photos up soon, and I also hear that once this shaft strips, the tranny usually gets SMOKED at the same time. I believe mine is ok. will update on that soon.

My car has about 350 "Un-tuned"AWHP, so I am NOT UBER tuned for this TC, I think the problem was, and I BET it was with the other ones that broke, because of this deadly scenario:

1. Launch control used and set at 5500 RPM
2. Boost at launch 10psi.
3. Track Prepped with the VHT "glue"

I think this was my kiss of death, #'s 1-3. I was at the UN-prepped track the night before, and had spinning tires at the start, no problem. I think the prepped track is the only variable which gave me the KABOOM! Just my theory. The repair (part) looks like it will cost me 80.00, not bad, but what does the tranny look like? Will keep you posted.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Well it could've been much worse...I guess. Hopefully, your transmission isn't FUBAR as well. Let us all know...who am I kidding, of course, you'll let us all know.

Work has thrown a curve ball in my schedule as usual...I am about two weeks out on a tuning trip...sounds like you may be, too. Keep me informed...would love to hook up with you for a run to Dyno4mance.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ummm...... man, this could happan to anyone!
So, what track uses that??
Old Oct 25, 2006, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WhiteEvo05
Well it could've been much worse...I guess. Hopefully, your transmission isn't FUBAR as well. Let us all know...who am I kidding, of course, you'll let us all know.

Work has thrown a curve ball in my schedule as usual...I am about two weeks out on a tuning trip...sounds like you may be, too. Keep me informed...would love to hook up with you for a run to Dyno4mance.
It looks like we got a date!
Old Oct 25, 2006, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Liqquid

ummm...... man, this could happan to anyone!
So, what track uses that??
MOST tracks use it. Ask if the track is "prepped". or look for a quad with a tank of "fluid" on the back. they spray the car, so it is SUPER sticky!! You walk on it, you get stuck. I won't race on the bubble gum tracks again. Usually they do it for an event, and DON'T do it for regular "run what you brung" nights.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
It looks like we got a date!
Hope my wife doesn't see this...
Old Oct 25, 2006, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

To Reiterate what happened or what busted:

"C" clip broke on input shaft/rt side axle, maybe caused the shaft to move a bit, and the result was like sticking your finger in a fan!

If you look at a T.C., you see a hole with teeth in it, (female end), that is where ALL the teeth got ripped off, and are almost ground down so much, it is almost smooth!

The "male" end, which went in the hole, the actual "shaft", all the splines on that, are PERFECT by visual inspection. That is all we see now, until we crack open the rest, which will be SOON!! photos, and "the rest of the story" to follow! I got to go have a cigarette and cuddle now, talking about Male shafts and female holes got me "sleepy".
Old Oct 25, 2006, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Hope my wife doesn't see this...
NO REACH AROUNDS ON THE TRIP!!!
Old Oct 25, 2006, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Male shafts, female holes, reacharounds...Welcome to SPICE Evo.

Just don't try to put your hand on my knee in the transporter, and we will be cool! I will now stop this silliness so something informative can be inserted.(<--just leave it alone!)

Hope to hear it's an easy fix and I am still pulling for no transmission damage. Good luck!!
Old Oct 25, 2006, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Male shafts, female holes, reacharounds...Welcome to SPICE Evo.

Just don't try to put your hand on my knee in the transporter, and we will be cool! I will now stop this silliness so something informative can be inserted.(<--just leave it alone!)

Hope to hear it's an easy fix and I am still pulling for no transmission damage. Good luck!!
I am stuck driving my wifes "ride" in the meantime, so far I ran into the street with a crosswind, and almost got nailed! Plus I keep hitting the mailbox when I come home!!

Old Oct 25, 2006, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

EDIT: double posted..
Old Oct 25, 2006, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Good luck with fixing your parts smokedmustang

I'm waiting on pics of the damage
Old Oct 25, 2006, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RoadSpike
Good luck with fixing your parts smokedmustang

I'm waiting on pics of the damage
Thanks spike!, I will put them up as soon as I get them!!