Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My car "Grenaded"!! What let go??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2006, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Smoked:

Tell the medics to put the paddles to it and shock it back to life...

I got mine all back together...again. I'm ready to roll down to GA for a tune anytime you're ready.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WhiteEvo05
Hey Smoked:

Tell the medics to put the paddles to it and shock it back to life...

I got mine all back together...again. I'm ready to roll down to GA for a tune anytime you're ready.
Mine should get paddled soon!! The box to ship it to Jon at TRE should be here today, and Jon said he DOES have the parts in stock, so I shouldn't be that long either! Will let you know soon!
Old Nov 5, 2006, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Here is the first photo!!

Here is the dammage in my transfer case! the "yellow"area is SMOOTH, the "blue area" is how it should look, with "splines". Going back up to TRE next week, should be mobile SOON! :headbang

Old Nov 5, 2006, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeehhh!!! dat dun derr is some shiat billy bob.welp, drank up sonny git er dunn and back on thuh roads
Old Nov 5, 2006, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
Here is the first photo!!

Here is the dammage in my transfer case! the "yellow"area is SMOOTH, the "blue area" is how it should look, with "splines". Going back up to TRE next week, should be mobile SOON!
Does TRE have an improved design or just going back with stock parts? Was it just driveline shock from a hard launch on a sticky surface?
Old Nov 6, 2006, 02:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by badhabit90
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeehhh!!! dat dun derr is some shiat billy bob.welp, drank up sonny git er dunn and back on thuh roads
Why could I read this post faster and smoother then the other ones?
Old Nov 6, 2006, 02:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WhiteEvo05
Does TRE have an improved design or just going back with stock parts? Was it just driveline shock from a hard launch on a sticky surface?
I will let you know, once I get Jon's interpertation of it. He had more than a few in his shop with this same problem. and NO, they are NOT his TC's., so this seems to me to be a weak link, so there might be stronger parts. This TC has been"beefed" up by TRE, and has maybe 50K miles on it? lots of drag runs/road races/ and autox's. It held up well. IT was the VHT on the prepped track, OR the driver (my nephew)who may have Dumped the clutch too fast on the last run. not sure.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

OUCH!! I say, dont go on a VHT prepped track, that's my guess, or the many drags/autox I have done. Maybe 25 drag runs and 3 autox's. plus the Light to light stuff. And another thing, maybe I shouldn't have let my nephew drive it anymore! Just an update.

Kevin,

Not only did you strip those splines and sheer the snout off the other end of the front diff you also managed to crack 9 gear teeth on the ring gear.

What clutch are you using?
Old Nov 20, 2006, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OUCH!! I say, dont go on a VHT prepped track, that's my guess, or the many drags/autox I have done. Maybe 25 drag runs and 3 autox's. plus the Light to light stuff. And another thing, maybe I shouldn't have let my nephew drive it anymore! Just an update.

Kevin,

Not only did you strip those splines and sheer the snout off the other end of the front diff you also managed to crack 9 gear teeth on the ring gear.

So basically you snapped the whole diff in half as well as rip a good chunk of teeth out of the ring gear....

Man you just have to put pics of that kind of destruction up
Old Nov 20, 2006, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RoadSpike
So basically you snapped the whole diff in half as well as rip a good chunk of teeth out of the ring gear....

Man you just have to put pics of that kind of destruction up
I will soon, and I have the video at the strip when it "LET GO" as well (sounded LOUD, and has lot of black "soot" coming up thur the hood vent, and from under the wheel wells. Will post that as well. (few days on that)

Last edited by smokedmustang; Nov 20, 2006 at 04:14 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Another thing, when I was strapped down on the dyno at AMS, they were concerned about the noise/vibrations at WOT, and they said "You better get your propeller shaft checked", as they said they were sure there was a problem with it. Could this have been what they were "feeling", the TC on the way out? I don't know where the propeller shaft is, just curious!
Old Nov 20, 2006, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You got me curious too smoked..

A quick Google reveals it must be related to the drive shaft or is another word for it....

Take a gander at this photo piece:

Old Nov 20, 2006, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Kevin,

when going to a vht prepped track you should run more air in your tires just to get some wheelspin and avoid this things sorry to read this friend and good luck
Old Nov 20, 2006, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RoadSpike
You got me curious too smoked..

A quick Google reveals it must be related to the drive shaft or is another word for it....

Take a gander at this photo piece:

Cool photo. If the propeller shaft is the driveshaft, does it connect into the hole above? with the "shredded" splines? If so, was this vibration a "telltale" sign on what was about to happen? Interesting for sure. Maybe Jon from TRE will chime in on what "could have happened"
Old Nov 20, 2006, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jrsimon27
when going to a vht prepped track you should run more air in your tires just to get some wheelspin and avoid this things sorry to read this friend and good luck
Where were you when I needed you my friend? We were trying to get the car in the 11's, untuned-ish, so EACH time he did the runs (9 before the KABOOM) he would LOWER the tire pressure to get more "grip". If I kept the tire pressure UP, maybe this wouldn't have happened, but what was the "telltale" signs on the dyno that AMS heard/felt? It is intriguing, and I must find out.