Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Please help me diagnose my problem!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2006 | 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Please help me diagnose my problem!

Well as you all know, i got a clutch and lightweight flywheel installed last week.. Ever since, my car feels like a slug, you hit the gas and no power... I had TTP-E take my car yesterday and it was retuned... I must admit, it ALOT better now but, theres still that power missing... Everyone before thought it was all in my head but its not..

After Scott came back with my car, he did acknoledge that theres something missing... He mentioned that sometimes it took a long time for the turbo to spool and there was power missing... He mentioned that when he hit the gas pedal sometimes the car pulled hard and then it didnt which is what i felt also.... I have checked all the lines, pipes and everything seems to be in place.. He suggested to bring it sometime to do a pressure leak test cause he think i might be leaking out of the stock bov and the turbo its overworking and blowing hot air or from somewhere else...

Anyone had a similar issue before? Oh and i also want to add that everytime i shift really fast, i get a real loud pop from my exhaust as it was dumping a lot of fuel. I need some suggestions please!!

PS: I wana thank Scott again for awesome customer serivce!! Scott went out of his way and came to my job yesterday and picked up my car and took it to tune it!!!

Last edited by EVIL_EVO_VIII; Oct 19, 2006 at 07:20 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2006 | 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Well I do know that the stock plastic evo 8 BOV that you have can only hold 19 psi at the most. So, you might want to get the jdm mr BOV. It can hold 22psi. That's what I plan on doing once I raise my psi. So you possibly could be leaking. I have read a lot into BOV and have learned you must get a bov that can hold the amount of psi your running. The plastic POS BOV will not hold 22psi. Try that.
Old Oct 19, 2006 | 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Well for some reason when we logged it, it was holding 21.7 psi at 7200rpms... The thing is that the car felt fast b4 the clutch install and now it feels slower..

Scott retuned it and it improved alot but its still not at 100%
Old Oct 19, 2006 | 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

I don't think its the clutch. It could be slipping for some odd reason. Which will lose you a power. When I lost power, it was a loose ICP. But you have checked that already. I seriuosly think its the BOV. Jdm mr bov is 80 shipped. So its not too expensive to find one. I would try it just to see what it would do. I have read many other peoples problems on here b4 and there solution was the bov. This is my guess. Hopefully you get other feedback.
Old Oct 19, 2006 | 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Yea the clutch is brand new and it doenst slip one bit... I checked all the pipes like 3xs already.. The only thing i can do is take it to ttp and do a pressure test then we can see if its leaking... Its just so odd that the car would have less power after a clutch install... Im trying to see if anyone has had the same issue or similar
Old Oct 19, 2006 | 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Bump for more feedback
Old Oct 19, 2006 | 07:23 AM
Evolved Member
Veteran: ArmyFCOTM Winner

I had a ACT clutch and ProStreet flywheel installed by TTPE as well. Installation was flawless. I discovered a major boost leak afterwards though. Definately have a boost leak test done!
Old Oct 19, 2006 | 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SLVRNBLK
I had a ACT clutch and ProStreet flywheel installed by TTPE as well. Installation was flawless. I discovered a major boost leak afterwards though. Definately have a boost leak test done!
No ****!! REally? Where was it coming from>?
Old Oct 19, 2006 | 07:29 AM
Rnm
Evolved Member

Just have it pressure tested and you'll find the boost leak if thats the issue.
Old Oct 19, 2006 | 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

You need to do a presure test.
Then a compression check.
The log your AFR (not needed if it was tuned right)

These will tell you if your turbo is getting all the air to the motor (leak). If the motor is burning all the air or leaking past (compression) and if you are getting the right ammount of fuel / burn.

Boost leak tester $30 from fighters-garage or build one for about the same.
http://*************************/evo.html
[edit] I guess they are on the **** list right now. I would suggest you go and make one then...

Compression tester $25 from anywhere.
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

AFR wideband... expensive. I would suggest a guage wth logging or take it to a shop that has one. I have an LC1 as part of my vishnu SMART system...
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lc1.php

Good luck.
Old Oct 19, 2006 | 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cajun Power
You need to do a presure test.
Then a compression check.
The log your AFR (not needed if it was tuned right)

These will tell you if your turbo is getting all the air to the motor (leak). If the motor is burning all the air or leaking past (compression) and if you are getting the right ammount of fuel / burn.

Boost leak tester $30 from fighters-garage or build one for about the same.
http://*************************/evo.html
[edit] I guess they are on the **** list right now. I would suggest you go and make one then...

Compression tester $25 from anywhere.
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

AFR wideband... expensive. I would suggest a guage wth logging or take it to a shop that has one. I have an LC1 as part of my vishnu SMART system...
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lc1.php

Good luck.
Well the car was retuned yesterday so i know the a/f is dead on straight... Since someone already posted a similar problem after a clutch install, im assuming its the same issue

Im also wanting to know why everytime i shift fast my exhaust backfires really bad... It started happening since the Walboro was installed

Last edited by EVIL_EVO_VIII; Oct 19, 2006 at 07:39 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2006 | 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Leaks were discovered at the BOV and lower IC pipe at the driver side coupler.
Old Oct 19, 2006 | 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SLVRNBLK
Leaks were discovered at the BOV and lower IC pipe at the driver side coupler.
So the same thing that im describing happened to you after the install correct?
Old Oct 19, 2006 | 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

So the same thing that im describing happened to you after the install correct?
No. My car was running fine. Had plenty of power throughout. I had a boost leak test done by Scott in preparation for my tune. It's always a good idea to have a boost leak test done whenever IC pipes are removed. Im just pointing out that a boost leak may be the cause of your problem.
Old Oct 19, 2006 | 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Have you checked your plugs?

Quick Reply: Please help me diagnose my problem!