Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 9 TME Turbo 6 Blade Dyno #'s

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2006 | 08:15 AM
EvoM Guru

I also had this 6-blade EVO 9 20G TME, and the results were similar - disappointing. This has nothing to do with the tuning, only the turbo (which is poorly configured).

This same turbo gives no distinct power advantage over a regular EVO 8 TME, and exhibits WORSE spool characteristics. Ask me how I know this - and how much I spent in debunking vendor lip service and deriving the facts.

I'm sorry to rain on the parade, but this is yet another instance whereby the 6-blade turbo gives disappointing numbers - and no advantage over a regular EVO 8 with $250 hotside upgrade. FWIW, Drifto's car with similar mods (but smaller 264/272 cams) gave right about these numbers with a stock EVO 8 turbo (10.5cm2 hotside) and 93 octane.

In short, the 6-blade 20G is a complete farce IMO, and this is just another test that demonstrates it. And lest anyone think otherwise, turning up the boost doesn't fix it.
Old Oct 23, 2006 | 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

I am glad you are happy with those gains. I know there are a bunch of people considering this turbo as an upgrade. I know I am window shopping. My problem is I want bang for buck. A 20whp jump is nice but not worth the $$ to me. If I'm gonna drop a grand I need to see at least 50WHP more than the stock snail.
Old Oct 23, 2006 | 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

And Jeff, I don't think you want peak torque at 5000rpm for the racing you do - I know I don't.
Old Oct 23, 2006 | 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
And Jeff, I don't think you want peak torque at 5000rpm for the racing you do - I know I don't.
Absolutely not.

I think alot of people are looking for an upgrade from stock that will provide the returns that the 16G provided DSM owners. The ***** of it is the stock turbo is so damn good that its hard to make it much better without robbing peter to pay paul.

Sure the EVO9 snail is better but it isn't worth a grand for 20WHP especially if it takes longer to spoolup. I really dont need more power for road racing though I would like a little extra for laying the smack down on the strip. I am considering putting a 50 shot of juice on the car for straight line fun and keeping the stock turbo till it dies.
Old Oct 23, 2006 | 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Well to each there own. I happen to be happy with the results and I trust that the guys at Amstuning wouldn't put me on in to thinking there dyno reads higher then other dyno's.

According to my butt dyno and my old dyno graph to the new, I'm happy with the results.

I will still need to go to the track sometime to get a better reading.

I plan to go to a GT35R sometime in the near future. Once I have that installed and tuned I will post my results again. I posted my results for everyone to see whether good or bad in your opinion.
Old Oct 23, 2006 | 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Exciting News
They do NOT use Ecutek. I asked directly and was told "no" FWIW. I will have the same setup baseline Dynoed on theirs as well as ISP's dynojet by weeks end and will post results...
Since I won't be able to get to the track I went ahead and contacted ISP Racing to get my car on there dynojet to see what kind of numbers my car will put down.

I'm hoping to see something like 410-450whp. Only time will tell. I will indeed post my dyno graph once again regardless of my results.

(Warrtalon) I will insure that they run the rpm up to 7000rpm. Like everyone else, I'm trying to find out the full limits to this turbo.
Old Oct 23, 2006 | 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

410-450whp? Wow, I really wouldn't get my hopes up too high, man. That's some HUGE power for a 6-blade. So, you're pretty convince that the AMS Dynomite reads like Buschur's Mustang dyno?

Have them run it to 7500 or 8000rpm. 7000 is way low for this setup!
Old Oct 23, 2006 | 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
410-450whp? Wow, I really wouldn't get my hopes up too high, man. That's some HUGE power for a 6-blade. So, you're pretty convince that the AMS Dynomite reads like Buschur's Mustang dyno?

Have them run it to 7500 or 8000rpm. 7000 is way low for this setup!
7500-8000rpm will do! Yes I'll be crossing my fingers for the outcome.

Whatever the results are will help us determine where the ams dynomite stands as far as a competing dyno, since it is in fact a "new" dyno that no one else on the forum is using.
Old Oct 23, 2006 | 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo Police
7500-8000rpm will do! Yes I'll be crossing my fingers for the outcome.

Whatever the results are will help us determine where the ams dynomite stands as far as a competing dyno, since it is in fact a "new" dyno that no one else on the forum is using.
Make sure that the run begins @ 2500 rpm and ends @ cutoff, ie, 2600 rpm or if you do not want to hit cutoff @ 7500 rpm.

My main concern is to see when this turbo spools up and hits full torque. I hope that it hits full torque @ 4000-4500 rpm. 5000 rpm is just too high.
Old Oct 23, 2006 | 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo Police
Since I won't be able to get to the track I went ahead and contacted ISP Racing to get my car on there dynojet to see what kind of numbers my car will put down.

I'm hoping to see something like 410-450whp. Only time will tell. I will indeed post my dyno graph once again regardless of my results.

(Warrtalon) I will insure that they run the rpm up to 7000rpm. Like everyone else, I'm trying to find out the full limits to this turbo.
I will be going there Thursday, although if I'm lucky they may take me sooner. I have my dyno chart sitting right here and am beginning to get more curious about my results. My peak torque shows at 4850RPM which seems a bit high to me (our curves are quite similar even though you're making more power than me). As soon as I get all my pieces together I plan to have a comprehensive thread to compare, contrast, and share info. I definitely want to know your results as we seem to be running in parallel.
Old Oct 23, 2006 | 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

what is most impressive on the dynograph is that the new blade is actually carrying your power for almost 2k rpm!! imagine for a sec if u had a Norris Designs 2.2L stroker kit which can rev safely to 9200rpm...i forsee a street monster in the works
Old Oct 23, 2006 | 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

What does the real AMS say about this other shop riding their rep?
Old Oct 24, 2006 | 06:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by housedj
what is most impressive on the dynograph is that the new blade is actually carrying your power for almost 2k rpm!!
The period in question is closer to 1500rpm, and there is nothing unusual about it - even if it were 2k rpm. It might be unusual if it carried power to 8000rpm, but that won't happen.

Had the power curve flattened around 420-430whp that would be promising, but it appears to have hit a 'brick wall' around 380whp - a figure easily attainable with a EVO 8 16G.

Originally Posted by housedj
imagine for a sec if u had a Norris Designs 2.2L stroker kit which can rev safely to 9200rpm...i forsee a street monster in the works
A 2.2L engine has 10% greater displacement, and therefore the power curve shifts to the left. In other words, the turbo will sign off some 2000rpm short of the magical 'safe' redline you claim.
Old Oct 24, 2006 | 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by -=SPECTRE=-
What does the real AMS say about this other shop riding their rep?
They aren't riding AMS' rep. They have had their name for a long time - well before AMS got huge in the Evo market. It's just an unfortunate case of having the same acronym. In fact, they go out of their way to refer to themselves as AMS Tuning.
Old Oct 24, 2006 | 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Exciting News
I will be going there Thursday, although if I'm lucky they may take me sooner. I have my dyno chart sitting right here and am beginning to get more curious about my results. My peak torque shows at 4850RPM which seems a bit high to me (our curves are quite similar even though you're making more power than me). As soon as I get all my pieces together I plan to have a comprehensive thread to compare, contrast, and share info. I definitely want to know your results as we seem to be running in parallel.
Looks like I may see you at ISP. I have a dyno appointment at 1700hrs. Maybe I will see you there...

Quick Reply: Evo 9 TME Turbo 6 Blade Dyno #'s