Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Is there any intake does not require a tune?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2006 | 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

i have the hks rs intake on my evo... thats the first mod i actually did and havent gotten a tune yet... i dynoed 260whp just with the intake and my friend with the same car (evo ix mr) dyno 250 stock... my bov sounds really nice and loud! things sucks air like no other! ur hear that thing just sshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh tzzzzzzzz ... nasty lol! anyway i like it... i have no problems with it! and after i get a tune probably get even a lil bit more power from the intake than a drop in!
Old Oct 25, 2006 | 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Yah I've talked to david Buschur and if you absolutely must have an intake then he said that his will use the stock rubber pipe with a cone filter and that it does not require a tune. I think he knows his stuff.

Last edited by JDMevoBOOST; Oct 25, 2006 at 08:28 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2006 | 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by mracing5625
i have the hks rs intake on my evo... thats the first mod i actually did and havent gotten a tune yet... i dynoed 260whp just with the intake and my friend with the same car (evo ix mr) dyno 250 stock... my bov sounds really nice and loud! things sucks air like no other! ur hear that thing just sshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh tzzzzzzzz ... nasty lol! anyway i like it... i have no problems with it! and after i get a tune probably get even a lil bit more power from the intake than a drop in!

why couldn't my car just accept it why did it have to reject it
Old Oct 25, 2006 | 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mracing5625
And therein lies the problem (or problems):

1) The peak number means very little. The most important things when getting dyno'd is the overal torque curve, area under the curve, smoothness, and repeatibility. Just saying you got 260 vs your friend who got 250 means nothing. Not every Evo dynos the same when stock anyway, but even though untuned intakes can show a peak gain, they often show a very erratic power curve with lean spots that are not good for the car.

2) You didn't mention your AFRs, or better yet, the significant and erratic effect the untuned intake had on your AFRs. Did you even notice?

3) The sound is 100% irrelevant, and is just an annoying ricer thing spawned by Hondas and 2f2f. The point is to go faster, not to annoy people.
Old Oct 25, 2006 | 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

One more for the BR cone filter. Had it on my evo for almost 3 months with no tune. No worries.
Old Oct 25, 2006 | 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry to thread jack a bit, but a while ago I was tuned for an intake by Al. I have an ARC box. I just recently picked up a Buschur MAF pipe, I am going to attempt to try to make it work with my ARC box... but my question is, would I need to be retuned for this MAF pipe? Or since I was already tuned, I will be fine either way.
Old Oct 25, 2006 | 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

If you're gonna mod - then you need to tune, otherwise don't mod.
Old Oct 25, 2006 | 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Changing the MAF pipe has a significant effect on MAF readings. I would not suggest doing it without a retune. Why are you getting it anyway? It won't add power.
Old Oct 25, 2006 | 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

I just picked it up for a really good deal, thought it would be useful since a lot of people do run the BR intake. I rather run hard pipes over rubber/plastic. I was assuming it would be fine since Al road tuned my car for an intake, but guess not. I will just get tuned again locally using ECUFlash or attempt to tune it myself. If I can tune a VPC/GCC, I think I can handle this with a little patience and lots of reading.